Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance that Alphabet (Google) picks up shares in this offering? I would think the market reaction would be quite favorable if that happened.

That seems unlikely to me, but even if they picked up the entire offering it'd only be 1/60th of the O/S shares. Agreed the symbology would cause a seismic shift but I don't think that's in the cards at this juncture.

I thought so too until I realized 20M/12B net worth is like you and I putting up $1500.

The size of the offering is curious. Maybe they decided this was a better source than drawing down on the remainder of the line of credit? They didn't know that 10 days ago?

But overall I think it's encouraging because it tells me they are confident the combined factors of Model S/X GM contributions and sharp CapEx reduction after Giga1 completes will be sufficient to return the company to cash flow positive relatively quickly.

Correct, 20M does not look like that much at first glance.
But I think one has to take into account that most of EM's money is not cash but simply already invested in some companies/projects.
TBH as far as I know he is not that kind of person that has some Bs in cash at home, me neither;)

The size of the offering made me curious as well.
Now I tend to think exactly what your thoughts are, mentioned above.
Cash flow positive qtr might be late 3 to 6 months.
This might be the amount of money to financially de-risk the time needed to get there.
Maybe they did not want to take all the money from the revoling credit line the have.
This way they can keep on track with their growth trajectory.

Correct, 20M does not look like that much at first glance.
But I think one has to take into account that most of EM's money is not cash but simply already invested in some companies/projects.
TBH as far as I know he is not that kind of person that has some Bs in cash at home, me neither;)

The size of the offering made me curious as well.
Now I tend to think exactly what your thoughts are, mentioned above.
Cash flow positive qtr might be late 3 to 6 months.
This might be the amount of money to financially de-risk the time needed to get there.
Maybe they did not want to take all the money from the revoling credit line the have.
This way they can keep on track with their growth trajectory.

It's symbolic more than anything. Back in Dec 2008 he put in 50% to secure the round that saved the company from bankruptcy, and given the post-Lehman climate of the times, it probably never closes without his action.

jhm mentioned he didn't secure his pro-rata share, but I'm not sure that's terribly important. He holds, what, 35M shares? So his percentage drops from 27.5 to roughly 27.1%. Almost immaterial.

INTERESTING Tesla Thursday.

This capital raise should actually bode well given that the underwriters gobbled it up at the current SP and have an option to buy more. Hoping this creates a "floor" for us.

The news for NYC is also pretty big because it will solve a huge issue for apartment dwellers like myself. I'd actually like to see a bunch of 240v chargers for topping off for more coverage instead of a ton of superchargers... They are cheaper and would fit most people's needs in urban areas such as (NYC and the five boroughs)

Any chance that Alphabet (Google) picks up shares in this offering? I would think the market reaction would be quite favorable if that happened.

So shares outstanding increases 1.65% to 129.2M. This is pretty trivial.

I am surprised that Musk is only picking up 4% of this offering. I would think he'd want to maintain his fraction of ownership and score some shares at favorable price. Perhaps stock compensation has enhanced his share above his target fraction. Any chance he may pick up more on the open market?

Are there any other big investors in the wings? Any other private placements?

I like Blurry's thought. Perhaps the timing between Page announcing Alphabet and this is just a coincidence. But what if it turns out Alphabet is picking up a lot of stock in the offering, or even more interesting on the open market? I like the thought of this, even though I wouldn't assign a very high probability to it.

I like Blurry's thought. Perhaps the timing between Page announcing Alphabet and this is just a coincidence. But what if it turns out Alphabet is picking up a lot of stock in the offering, or even more interesting on the open market? I like the thought of this, even though I wouldn't assign a very high probability to it.

Prospectus implies its underwriters best effort w green shoe option. I doubt Alphabet is doing anything...yet

Q4 was supposed to be cash flow positive. Now it is Q1.

Becoming cash flow positive directly correlates with production ramp of the Model X. When they initially said that they would be CF positive in Q4, it was under the assumption that they would be producing about 1,000 MX per week for a hefty majority of the quarter. So along with the news of an expected delay in full ramp of the X, comes a delay in becoming CF positive.

Elon's $20m used to purchase 83,974 shares of common stock in this offering is borrowed from the same underwrites for those wondering.

Beginning in June 2011, Goldman Sachs Bank USA has made extensions of credit in the aggregate amount of $275 million to Elon Musk and the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003, or the Trust, a portion of which Mr. Musk used to purchase shares of our common stock in our public offering in May 2013 and private placements in June 2011 and June 2013. Mr. Musk will pay the purchase price for up to the 83,974 shares of our common stock he has indicated a preliminary interest in purchasing in this offering with a portion of the existing loan from Goldman Sachs Bank USA. Interest on the loan accrues at market rates. Goldman Sachs Bank USA received customary fees and expense reimbursements in connection with these loans. As a regulated entity, Goldman Sachs Bank USA makes decisions regarding making and managing its loans independent of Goldman, Sachs & Co. Mr. Musk and Goldman Sachs Bank USA have a long-standing relationship of almost a decade. In addition, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC, an affiliate of Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, has made a loan to Mr. Musk in the aggregate amount of $200 million. Interest on this loan accrues at market rates. Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC received customary fees and expense reimbursements in connection with this loan.

Technically, there should be some resistance around the 246.80 level. If we break and close above that level by a dollar or more I think it will be a very bullish signal.

However, there is also a case for resistance at 251 and 257. Still, weighing up where the resistance may be sure beats weighing up where we may find support.

Status
Not open for further replies.