Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or an algorithm testing the conviction of bulls on the upside. The computers know the downside has been good.

I think a lot of people here really overestimate the sophistication of the algos. They aren't fully functioning ai or anything.

They don't really do what you are suggesting here, at least not any that I've worked on or heard about.

The vast majority of the Algos aren't positional at all and just try to take edge while chasing delta neural. It may just be that they have been selling a ton and have bumped into risk limits and need to buy to flatten. Super unlikely to be anything more intentional than that I think.

Hmm, so much for timing... thought it would be a good time to move over the majority of my shares to a long term investment account so i don't have to pay taxes. Problem is you can only do that by selling your shares, waiting 3 days and buying them again on the long term account. Hoped for some stability or at least no significant move up...

No idea about how your accounts and stuff work there, but in North America if both accounts are at the same brokerage they can usually just transfer from one to the other, at the closing price of whichever day you do it. In other words, you would get the same price in both accounts and skip the trading commission... not sure if it applies but might be worth checking.

No idea about how your accounts and stuff work there, but in North America if both accounts are at the same brokerage they can usually just transfer from one to the other, at the closing price of whichever day you do it. In other words, you would get the same price in both accounts and skip the trading commission... not sure if it applies but might be worth checking.
Yeah, i wish it was like that here too. I did double check that as this just did not make sense. Also, since i close my positions on my standard account, i have to pay taxes next year on the wins i made - even though i will reinvest the same amount in the same stock in a few day and the money does not leave the brokerage.
All I win is taxes on TSLA growth going forward... still, with GF and Model 3 yet to actually deliver on the promises, i did think it was high time, given that TSLA can be double what it is today by 2020 (when i can sell my shares with no tax).

GreenCar Reports.com published an article indicating that according to unnamed supplier sources some orders with the top tier suppliers are not finalized and volume production of MX might not start earlier than December because of it. According to these sources TM can still build low volume cars, less than a 1000. Not sure why suppliers decided to spill the beans - is it just frustration that orders are not finalized in a timely manner, or an attempt to force TM to negotiate on favorable to the suppliers terms...

That launch, however, now seems likely to consist at best of a small number of largely hand-built vehicles.

At least, that's what we've gleaned from a number of sources, including some with knowledge of Tesla's parts suppliers. For obvious reasons, they declined to be identified.

According to our sources, Tesla has still not placed orders with at least three Tier One suppliers for necessary Model X components.

The company continues to negotiate with those suppliers, but the parts in question--certain high-strength aluminum components, as well as more generic parts like brake lines--will be necessary for any kind of volume deliveries.

Allowing time for tooling, testing, and a steady rampup of component production, that would put any kind of volume production at least three months out. Our sources suggest that it could be longer yet, as late as December or possibly even January.
Using hand-fabricated substitutes for those components, Tesla can likely now build some numbers of early Model X vehicles--fewer than 1,000, one source suggested--on the Model X assembly line it has created.

Yeah, i wish it was like that here too. I did double check that as this just did not make sense. Also, since i close my positions on my standard account, i have to pay taxes next year on the wins i made - even though i will reinvest the same amount in the same stock in a few day and the money does not leave the brokerage.
All I win is taxes on TSLA growth going forward... still, with GF and Model 3 yet to actually deliver on the promises, i did think it was high time, given that TSLA can be double what it is today by 2020 (when i can sell my shares with no tax).

Is there an age limit for when you can collect tax free? I think in the states it's 59.5 for a roth ira.

GreenCar Reports.com published an article indicating that according to unnamed supplier sources some orders with the top tier suppliers are not finalized and volume production of MX might not start earlier than December because of it. According to these sources TM can still build low volume cars, less than a 1000. Not sure why suppliers decided to spill the beans - is it just frustration that orders are not finalized in a timely manner, or an attempt to force TM to negotiate on favorable to the suppliers terms...

Well... we know that Tesla is having birthing problems with the Model X. The question becomes, "hand built" means what exactly in early Q4? What kinds of lead times are actually necessary? Honestly, if "hand built" parts allows Tesla to build 1,000 vehicles in less than a month, that's actually pretty good. Say that allows Tesla to build 1,000 in September, then another 1,500 in October, and 2,000 in November. Then in December, they build 4,000. That's 8,500 in the year, deliver 7,000.

From the Q2 shareholder letter:

We are now targeting deliveries of between 50,000 and 55,000 Model S and Model X cars in 2015. While our equipment installation and final testing of Model X is going well, there are many dependencies that could influence our Q4 production and deliveries. We are still testing the ability of many suppliers to deliver high quality production parts in quantities sufficient to meet our planned production ramp. Since production ramps rapidly late in Q4, a one-week push out of this ramp due to an issue at even a single supplier could reduce Model X production by approximately 800 units for the quarter.

In addition, the timing of the Model X production ramp and high total deliveries in Q4 create operational challenges for our delivery organization towards the end of the year. This adds complexity in predicting our delivery rate with precision.

I've suspected that the promotion for the Model S has to do with dramatically increasing Model S sales in the U.S. to cover any shortfalls in the Model X launch. It's de-risking. With the strong dollar, demand overseas has likely dropped somewhat. So it's on the backs of Model S sales to insure good numbers for the quarter.

Thus far in 2015, Tesla has made 23,967 Model S's and delivered 21,577. Add 12,000 and 11,000 respectively for Q3, that's 35,967 and 32,577. The amount of vehicles they have to deliver to hit minimum guidance in Q4 is 17,423, to hit original guidance is 22,423 in a single quarter.

If Model X is 7,000, then Model S only needs to provide 10,423 deliveries to hit the minimum, but 15,423 to hit original guidance.

Last edited:

Goodness this is annoying. I love how we don't know the sources ("for obvious reasons") nor do we know how and when this information came about.

This report sounds pretty suspicious. I think the simplest explanation here is that Tesla has decided not to source these unnamed, rumored suppliers. It is also a bit of a rhetoric slight to describe Tesla's willingness to in-source parts as "hand-built." If Tesla thinks they can make parts in-house cheaper than outsourcing, that's what they do. Of course, it is just as likely that some other supplier has made Tesla a better offer than the suppliers in question. There is no need to invent a narrative that Tesla is failing to place certain orders because Tesla intends to delay ramp up. This just sounds like sour grapes from suppliers that lost the deal.

This story was posted almost verbatim in the Model X forum here a week or two ago… only to be taken down at the request of Tesla Motors.

I certainly did not want to shop at these levels again but de-risk my positions by transforming some medium term calls (that have been nicely in the green just a week ago) into shares.
Now I bought a good bunch of atm calls (at my german brokerage "Optionsscheine") that are a good month out covering a possible rebound as well as Model X specification and configuration news. Still some cash left in case we drop to about $200 or lower.
The news about the supplier issue is out in the media now, uncertainity declined, I think buyers could appear soon.

200DMA sitting at about $229.19.
February high just a bit beneath, $225.48.
And there is a fib figure around as well.
Rollercoaster.
Happy investing.

Last edited:
Why would brake lines be any different on Model X then on S? They could use the same lines for both.

Towing capabilities would likely require different brake lines.

As others mentioned, I don't think GCR is FUD as Tesla requested a take-down of the exact same information that was posted on TMC. It's most likely true that we won't see any substantial MX ramp until 2016.

My biggest fear with this is because MX and MS will be on one line now, that this will also greatly impact MS production.

Status
Not open for further replies.