Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The real question is, where is that bottom? Here in the 220s, 210, 200, 180, or even lower?

That's the golden question, I agree. Dollar cost averaging might work well for a situation like this, if we're talking about pure stock. With options I'd aim for medium term calls right now. I'm transferring funds today to my US options trading account for the first time in a long time. This macro even has nothing to do with Tesla, TSLA is oversold right now. Yes, there may be big changes coming in the global economy but nothing that changes the fundamental story of TSLA.

Ballparking here but

Resistance in 2013 at $191
Support in 2014 at $182
Support in 2015 at $185

If I had to take a chance... Out of your choices, I'd buy in at $180 with stops at $170.

Knowing Tesla, I'm sure they'll leak or release some news when TSLA comes to that level.

The trend is down now. on Tesla, Apple... and stock markets general.
But I think too many panic is making other people money. That's why BUY at $215-220 and take profit around $240. And SL around $205-210 in case I'm wrong and its falling lower. But I see Apple is going to hit $100 which is major support. Bounce should be there. As well as on other stocks.
Why I'm talking about Apple? For me, Apple is "signal" - making moves before others do.

Damn you falling knives! Why are you so tempting again? I am thinking about selling some shares and buying back at a lower price, but I have only succeeded a very few times in timing this. Now add in Model X anticipation, design studio bound to go live any (Elon) minute now and I am even more cautious. Though, realistically, I am not sure if any positive X news would be able to counter the current panic driven sell off.

Last edited:
Damn you falling knifes! Why are you so tempting again? I am thinking about selling some shares and buying back at a lower price, but I have only succeeded a very few times in timing this. Now add in Model X anticipation, design studio bound to go live any (Elon) minute now and I am even more cautious. Though, realistically, I am not sure if any positive X news would be able to counter the current panic driven sell off.

you are correct :)
in downtrend we should find local highs and sell and not buy falling knives.

I'm all out for now. Would rather sit this out while the dust settles. Will definitely be a shareholder again though. Just can't stomach more losses. Good luck to all in the coming weeks!

Losses only occur when you sell while you're in the red. Stay strong and hold fast is my current slogan. This dip from $250s to $220s has nothing to do with Tesla. It's all macro panicking. We'll get back to ATH by February/March after awesome Q4 results and after Elon has teased us with pictures of the Model 3 in the dark garage...

I'm all out for now. Would rather sit this out while the dust settles. Will definitely be a shareholder again though. Just can't stomach more losses. Good luck to all in the coming weeks!

Unless you are on margin, why get out? TSLA will be higher again. Getting out means locking in losses and you are likely to miss the upswing.

If you were going to get out, then the time would have been right around ER or right afterwards with the uncertainty of the Model X and the cash raise. To get out now? I guess if you had a better play with that capital since so much is discounted right now, but not a good reason with just TSLA alone.

Fixed that for you.

Sure.... but only if you know where the bottom lies. Chances are, we're closer to the near term bottom for TSLA right now. For example, let's say we hit bottom today at $208. If jake doesn't buy back in today, and we steadily march higher from here, he's only locked in losses. I'm looking to get back in at these levels, as I got out a bit early ahead of ER. To each his/her own, but... TSLA has some near term challenges and some near term stratospheric catalysts. So riding the volatility means holding on during the lows, preferably accumulating in oversold situations... and the right time to sell is at the sharp peaks.

If you have play money, for goodness sakes, please do not sell your shares at this stage. The market was screaming at you to do that a week ago. If you actually need the money, wait patienty, wait for a bounce, and then GTFO. I don't buy all the talking heads saying to buy the dip on Apple ect. Just look at a chart and see where these stocks were just a few years back. Disney in the 40s for example.

Also, this market move doesn't make sense. The dollar is weakening (good for exporters), inflation is low, commodities and energy are cheap. Job market is healthy, profits are good (aside from problems with the dollar being too strong, seems to be moving in the right direction though as stated above).

So China's market was way overbought (to the tune of 100+pe) and needed a major correction. That doesn't mean ours was. We are getting a major correction, when all we were due was a minor one.

Unfortunately, as the old adage goes, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. Stay safe out there.

Sure.... but only if you know where the bottom lies. Chances are, we're closer to the near term bottom for TSLA right now. For example, let's say we hit bottom today at $208. If jake doesn't buy back in today, and we steadily march higher from here, he's only locked in losses. I'm looking to get back in at these levels, as I got out a bit early ahead of ER. To each his/her own, but... TSLA has some near term challenges and some near term stratospheric catalysts. So riding the volatility means holding on during the lows, preferably accumulating in oversold situations... and the right time to sell is at the sharp peaks.

Looks like you'll be buying today. TSLA is now at 210 in pre-market.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have play money, for goodness sakes, please do not sell your shares at this stage. The market was screaming at you to do that a week ago. If you actually need the money, wait patienty, wait for a bounce, and then GTFO. I don't buy all the talking heads saying to buy the dip on Apple ect. Just look at a chart and see where these stocks were just a few years back. Disney in the 40s for example.

A week ago, TSLA was up +13 in pre-market around 255 due to the huge MS upgrade. Right now it's -20 from 230 at 210 because of China.

I can't even remember all the "sky is falling" major dips since 2012. Let's see, there was fir*s, Greece, government shutdowns, on and on. I saw a lot of people sell at a loss and unable to buy back in. I have been holding and adding on the dips since 2012, works for me. I think I'll just hang in there today. Maybe turn the computer off for the day. The guys like Curt, who haven't sold a single share will be better off in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.