Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stifel re-affirms Tesla as buy (PT $400) following the investors meetings.

Summary from StreetInsider.com (a lot to chew on)
Stifel reaffirms its Buy rating and $400 price target on Tesla Motors (Nasdaq: TSLA) following recent meetings with Jeff Evanson, VP Global Investor Relations for Tesla in New York.Analyst James Albertine commented: Key areas of focus among investors included (a) updates related to the Model X vehicle launch (TSLA targeting deliveries to begin 9/29), (b) management’s view on its recent secondary equity offering, (c) Gigafactory launch timing (expected to come online in 1Q16), the lower priced Model 3 sedan and expected reductions in battery cell/pack assembly costs, (d) thoughts regarding broader EV competition, (e) the auto-pilot features roll-out and implications for driverless vehicles primarily related to collision frequency/severity and vehicle utilization, and (f) TSLA’s exposure to China and broader views on auto industry implications.
In general, we would characterize investors’ view of the recent secondary equity offering as surprising as some believe it could have been larger given the apparent over-subscription, market reaction. We would characterize opinions on competition (among traditional and non-traditional auto OEMs) as “mixed,” though investors appear more interested in discussing AAPL (covered by our colleague Aaron Rakers) vs. Audi, in our view. We think investors remain highly focused on the pace of recent (1-2 yr.) investments and their projected payback period/returns. Lastly, we suspect, based on questions we were hearing, that as they dig deeper on potential cost efficiencies related to battery cell/pack production more investors will agree that TSLA’s competitive advantages appear to be growing not fading.
Overall, Albertine came away from the meetings with a positive view of Tesla. The analyst said: A key theme we took away from investor discussions is that TSLA management believes opportunities in the near term (1-5 yrs.) are numerous and span current and potentially new business arenas. Broadly speaking, we agree. It appears TSLA already has substantial competitive runway, which includes proprietary advantages ranging from battery cell design, customized battery pack assembly, LI-ion battery supplier relationships, auto-pilot features, direct-to-consumer distribution, and an industry leading Supercharging infrastructure model, among other factors. We also believe demand for TSLA vehicles may far exceed expectations (we are starting to see a clearer path to 500k units delivered annually by 2020 vs. our current 250k units delivered 2020 estimate), though we support management’s opinion of “optimized production” as the intersection of (a) the number of units produced, (b) in the most cost effective manner, while (c) maintaining high product quality standards. It is true, this approach may lead to a slower, steadier production ramp than some would like to see and may fuel negative sentiment in the short term, but we believe it is necessary to prevent high profile vehicle recalls that could potentially damage customer perception and future orders.
For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on Tesla Motors click here. For more ratings news on Tesla Motors click here.

Couple of items:

Short term (next 90 days) I think is a giant wait and see by a lot of heavy hitters. My thoughts are that they are expecting what I would call a Tesla parlor trick ( big moves based on surprise results).

I don't think this is going to happen this time. I think the company is becoming big and therefore it's moves are more deliberate and planned. Where back in 2013 when it was much smaller, it was easy to do,the "all hands on deck call" that would seemingly move heaven and earth to blow away Wall Street.

I think what we are beginning to see is a behemoth giant awakening. This will come with a smoothing of volatility in the stock price if and when steady execution on Tesla's timeline (the intersection of number of units produced, in a cost effective manner while maintaining high quality). By the way, it is when execution occurs and occurs correctly.

The short term plays are going to happen for for those that understand that Elon is here to make something great that will fundamentally change the economics of energy and transportation and not to push out more units of an incrementally improved widget. The regular suckers that look solely at typical numbers and operate by wallstreet SOP's are gonna get burned again and again by Tesla because of the aforementioned Elon philosophy of the way things are.

Wallstreet will hammer stupid stuff like "cash burn", quarterly sales numbers, PE type numbers etc, while Tesla continues to build its foundations and infrastructure, the likes of which haven't been seen in the U.S. since the Hoover dam, TVA and interstate highway system were built. It even surpasses Apple as Tesla is actually going to produce stuff here, in house.

So, each quarter (till 2017) wallstreet will make their usual short sighted judgements (mistakes) and we will see a little volitlity to trade on (knowing the "secret plan") and will build our wealth.

Buy low, Sell high.

My 2 cents

Fire Away

PS. pay attention to Carbon 3d

TSLA currently up 2% pre market.

Anybody else feeling like there could be a buy the rumour sell the news up to the first deliveries event later this month?!

While we have seen TSLA to have some trading around $250 area during the last days/weeks, I do see some support at about $219 and $195 and some resistance at about $270 and $281.
My strategy is to reduce my medium term position of calls at $270 and $281 in order to be carefull about the first delivery event.
In case we get a big run up ahead of the first deliveries event, I might even consider to buy some puts for downside protection (not decided on that).

Looks like the ships are rising with the tide and we are able to hop over the $250 area with these analyst reiterations/upgrades after the latest investor meeting.

Again, I expect a lot of volatility during the next weeks ahead of Model X first deliveries and during production ramp up till beginning of next year and macro.
I expect bulls and bears to extremely spin any kind of news in their favour during the next weeks.
Be careful with your investments everyone.

Last edited:
TSLA currently up 2% pre market.

Anybody else feeling like there could be a buy the rumour sell the news up to the first deliveries event later this month?!

While we have seen TSLA to have some trading around $250 area during the last days/weeks, I do see some support at about $219 and $195 and some resistance at about $270 and $281.
My strategy is to reduce my medium term position of calls at $270 and $281 in order to be carefull about the first delivery event.
In case we get a big run up ahead of the first deliveries event, I might even consider to buy some puts for downside protection (not decided on that).

Looks like the ships are rising with the tide and we are able to hop over the $250 area with these analyst reiterations/upgrades after the latest investor meeting.

Again, I expect a lot of volatility during the next weeks ahead of Model X first deliveries and during production ramp up till beginning of next year.
I expect bulls and bears to extremely spin any kind of news in their favour during the next weeks.
Be careful with your investments everyone.

I'm thinking that the reveal will be much like the 'D' reveal, stock-wise. Everyone already knows that the X is imminent. Cool features probably won't move the stock up, because it never has in the past. Now....if the ramp-up goes smoothly in Q4 and cash flow turns positive by the end of the year, then it'll take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.