Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know exactly how day trades are counted? I know if I bought yesterday and sell today then rebuy today it is not counted as a day trade.

If I buy 10 today, sell 5, then later today sell the other 5, is that counted as one day trade or two?

What if I buy 10, sell 5, buy 10 more, then sell 15. How many day trades is that?

Does anyone know exactly how day trades are counted? I know if I bought yesterday and sell today then rebuy today it is not counted as a day trade.

If I buy 10 today, sell 5, then later today sell the other 5, is that counted as one day trade or two?

What if I buy 10, sell 5, buy 10 more, then sell 15. How many day trades is that?

Each round trip in the same security is a day trade. If this is your concern you can get rid of the free ride by changing your account type (authorizing margin but not using your excess available).

Counting Day Trades | Day Trading

So GOOG missed earnings and revenue but is up >3% in after-hours:confused:. AMZN earnings loss was in line with predicted but revenue and sales were a beat, stock up >6%. So Flux is right, this bodes very well for TSLA. If TSLA reports a significant beat on earnings, which just may happen given lots of high margin P85D sales, we should get a really nice pop :biggrin:

I'm not worried about "missing" earnings at all. If Tesla did reasonably well after all the negative storms it endured, with port strikes, parts shortages, new shipping methods initiated and with the price of gas crashing out, I think perspective will ultimately reign. It speaks well for future performance with many of those handicaps behind Tesla. But, that perspective seems to come a few days after the earnings report and the conference call is digested. The worst is now far behind Tesla.

Besides, I still have people come up and say, "What kind of car is that?" "It doesn't use any gas at all!?!" "Who makes it?".

I'm not worried about "missing" earnings at all. If Tesla did reasonably well after all the negative storms it endured, with port strikes, parts shortages, new shipping methods initiated and with the price of gas crashing out, I think perspective will ultimately reign. It speaks well for future performance with many of those handicaps behind Tesla. But, that perspective seems to come a few days after the earnings report and the conference call is digested. The worst is now far behind Tesla.

Besides, I still have people come up and say, "What kind of car is that?" "It doesn't use any gas at all!?!" "Who makes it?".

I work at a major auto insurance company in Canada and hear the same thing from nearly everybody. The Tesla story has not even begun.

One person has written of Tesla raising EuroZone prices this week (said to have received an email from Tesla). If this is accurate I think it likely diminishes downside risk re earnings call, as it is suggestive of both strength in demand, and mitigation of currency hit to margins going forward (to a rational view somewhat diminishing concern re currency impact on Q1. Mr Market does have his rational side in time). Appreciation to TMCer "Fanatic" for sharing this in a new thread outside the investor section. We might even see positive analyst notes on this before ER.

Tesla to raise prices in Europe : teslamotors

Movement today seems to be trending towards Max Pain, but I'm still confident of a thrust upwards soon. I don't think market has priced in a big beat / battery revenue stream/ positive guidance. If any of those come to pass on the night of ER or before, look out above.

One person has written of Tesla raising EuroZone prices this week (said to have received an email from Tesla). If this is accurate I think it likely diminishes downside risk re earnings call, as it is suggestive of both strength in demand, and mitigation of currency hit to margins going forward (to a rational view somewhat diminishing concern re currency impact on Q1. Mr Market does have his rational side in time). Appreciation to TMCer "Fanatic" for sharing this in a new thread outside the investor section. We might even see positive analyst notes on this before ER.

Tesla to raise prices in Europe : teslamotors

Haha you made the stock jump at 11 AM today. Its clear that the bots browse this thread carefully. The post flew under the radar over on Reddit.

What was that sharp rally at 11AM about? Big spike in both volume and price. An algo going wild for some reason?

You can thank SteveG3 for that.

Haha you made the stock jump at 11 AM today. Its clear that the bots browse this thread carefully. The post flew under the radar over on Reddit.

You can thank SteveG3 for that.

thanks 32no... was thinking it, but didn't want to be the one to say it :)

in reality, who knows, but, if in fact it's a substantial price increase in EuroZone and Tesla still is confident that they can sell 55K vehicles this year, it makes sense that this would move stock up. several analysts had written notes the past month or so lowering EPS, with currency exchange being one of the main reasons. it's reasonable to think there may be notes written highlighting this move that will uptick margins and EPS.

fwiw, in addition to bots, it's apparent that at least some of the wall street analysts keep an eye on the investor section, as they've picked up ideas from here in the past.

If this is true it should be repeatable and exploitable. It should be possible for us to buy weeklies and then once everyone has loaded up, write a few completely made up posts including the relevant trigger words and phrases. It would give us a ridiculously powerful position. I'm not saying we should do this and in fact think it would be wrong to exploit, but it should be possible right?

I'd be interested to see some quasi-scientific tests of the theory that bots browse here and algos trade on it.

If it were possible to do this, and I have no idea if it is, why not? If you haven't figured out that the market and TSLA is manipulated by people every single day then you are not paying attention. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Of course I'm aware its highly manipulated and this has been very obvious at times recently. Maybe I'm too soft to be the trading game properly but I think I'd have some internal resistance to manipulating a stock like that. Although the more I think about it the more I can justify it to myself. In any case I'd be interested to just to a few tests and see if we can get some repeatable results (if people wish to, they can of course position themselves accordingly). Could try a few bogus posts during low volume periods next week, if there are any.

Of course I'm aware its highly manipulated and this has been very obvious at times recently. Maybe I'm too soft to be the trading game properly but I think I'd have some internal resistance to manipulating a stock like that. Although the more I think about it the more I can justify it to myself. In any case I'd be interested to just to a few tests and see if we can get some repeatable results (if people wish to, they can of course position themselves accordingly). Could try a few bogus posts during low volume periods next week, if there are any.

Understanding the fact that paid propaganda moves markets does not mean you can't make profit. But it takes a lot of research, time and diligence.

Buy and hold is one of the few ways to combat manipulation, if you find a worthy investment.

Today's movement was remarkably close to Max Pain of 215.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm all about being honest and ethical but the short term manipulations of the market, by the media if nothing else, is laughable. That is why short term plays are so dangerous. So far I've had very little luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.