Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Exited the quarter consistently producing just under 2000 cars per week'.

Ha, what does that actually MEAN? Can be interpreted several ways.

It is clear that there have been 4+ weeks of that level of production, i.e. at least the whole of June, as almost half of the whole quarter's production occurred in the last 4 weeks. This is very strong evidence that production problems are finally over.

I've never really cared about their guidance, fully knowing that Musk even says he sets goals that are just beyond the range of doable. This motivates his team to strive to hit them. Tesla is always on the low-end of guidance lately, and when I see 80-90K, I think 75-80K.

The problem is that it's hard to predict if they will hit their long-term goals if they can't even hit the goals of this quarter.

Why would I as a market analyst believe after today that they will produce 500k cars in 2018?

I'm not sure how the market will react but I see two small wins, one win and one loss:

The market might not be able to figure this out, but Tesla's problem has been producing cars, not delivering cars :rolleyes:.
Unfortunately, the production number is a miss, as 20,000 production was the forecast. However, the consistent 2,000/week production for at least 4 weeks is a definite win.

Reactions: MitchJi
It is clear that there have been 4+ weeks of that level of production, i.e. at least the whole of June, as almost half of the whole quarter's production occurred in the last 4 weeks. This is very strong evidence that production problems are finally over.

Sure, you can figure this out from reading the statement. But why don't they just write, 'for the month of June' or something like that. 'Exiting the quarter' implies a shorter time frame than the entire month of June. At least looking at their previous delivery statements, that would seem to be the case.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Sure, you can figure this out from reading the statement. But why don't they just write, 'for the month of June' or something like that. 'Exiting the quarter' implies a shorter time frame than the entire month of June. At least looking at their previous delivery statements, that would seem to be the case.

I definitely agree with that - this was the big goal that everybody has been waiting for and they could have made it a lot more obvious.

Ok another three more months of waiting now.

ER numbers Will look terrible. Cashflows, earnings and everything.

Exit run rate means nothing. Last two quarters it meant nothing. Q3 guidance will not be trusted with these consistent misses.

There's not much to look forward to for next several months.

So be it, I can live with it. Just saying things like it is.

Didn't they exit q1 @ 1700 / wk? If they ramped to 2k only in the last 4 weeks, then did they shut down production for 2 weeks in the quarter? 14k+ delivered is a HUGE miss! Especially since there were 1000 carried over from q1!

The only rationale I can think of for the lower numbers is the model s refresh. Did they have to retool for that?

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Ok another three more months of waiting now.

ER numbers Will look terrible. Cashflows, earnings and everything.

Exit run rate means nothing. Last two quarters it meant nothing. Q3 guidance will not be trusted with these consistent misses.

There's not much to look forward to for next several months.

So be it, I can live with it. Just saying things like it is.

While I agree that things generally look terrible, this exit run rate is a lot more convincing than before, as it has seemingly been uninterrupted for at least 4 weeks. In combination with Elon's comments during the Q1 earnings report about the first flawless X just a few days before, I think it is now unambiguous that the ramp issues have been fully resolved. However, I am sure you are right that most people will take this as completely bad news.

Didn't they exit q1 @ 1700 / wk? If they ramped to 2k only in the last 4 weeks, then did they shut down production for 2 weeks in the quarter? 14k+ delivered is a HUGE miss! Especially since there were 1000 carried over from q1!

The only rationale I can think of for the lower numbers is the model s refresh. Did they have to retool for that?

I think there were some issues for a couple of weeks with the refresh. They also shut down X production for a while, I think at least in part because of the back seat recall, and only finally succeeded in consistently ramping it soon after achieving the first flawless X off the line, just before Q1 earnings.

So then the short-term strategy question? Sell some and then buy back in or dollar-cost avg down?

I suspect the trim and buy-back idea is too risky to time, but I really don't have enough dry powder to dollar cost average either. I guess I have to get a second job to get more ammo now. :(

This can't be considered a 'positive' delivery number. It feeds into the 'lots of sizzle, less steak' scenario of EM/TM continuing to miss guidance.

I know, long term TM/TSLA will be a good investment but as this is the ST thread....these results are not good.

Question: can TM go from 15k deliveries in Q2 2016 to 150k deliveries in Q4 2017?

I prefer steak to sizzle too, but with 5000 in transit that means that this month's deliveries are going to be pretty close to last quarter's, which qualifies as steak to me. Actually I think there's a lot more steak than sizzle if you look long-term, but this is the short-term thread after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel
So about the impact on how believable that 500k number is for 2018... I don't think it has any impact as 500k in 2 years is not priced in yet. Sure, if TSLA was at 400 today, we could take a big hit as people would start to question the 2018 goal... but, for better or worse no one truly believed it as evidenced by the current stock price. On the other hand, this means that there is a potential upside to actually reporting hundreds of thousands of Model 3 produced in 2018.

I have concerns. The first is that guidance should be targeted for the mean estimate for the quarter, but Tesla results imply the target number was close to the second standard deviation from guidance. If guidance for the rest of the year is off by the same, we are looking at 40-45k. My other concern, not to feed the bears, but we had guidance that they started producing 2000 a week before June and that they were two weeks ahead of schedule. The 2000 run rate seems to be more of a sin wave, that a new baseline, at least for Q2. Will 2200 be a baseline or a peak. Sorry to vent, glad I closed some short term on Friday, but for those of us watching closely, this feels like misdirection. I didn't see any guidance during the quarter that they were only producing 1000-1100 cars a week, until June.
I hope we have turned a corner and 2000+ is the new baseline and 50,000 is realistic, but we are 2 quarters in a row missing and Q4 was made by clearing out the supply chain.
The last issue is if Elon's bold goals affect different parts of his organization differently. If the emphasis is on timelines in public, but excellence in private, I guess that is good in the long run, but it sure creates lumpy impression for investors.

One more thing to add, the production rate is 2200+/week? That's over and beyond what I thought Tesla could do this year. 50,000 guided for rest of the year with current order-rates supporting that maxed out level of production? Wow.

Nope, 2000 now, 2200 later:

With continued productivity improvements, Tesla expects output to reach 2,200 vehicles per week in Q3 and 2,400 vehicles per week in Q4.
Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

If I try hard to see something positive here, they filled the pipeline all the way now so Q3 delivery numbers will be a big beat...

• Funny
Reactions: BornToFly
It is quite doubtful. AP gives up at the last moment, leaving the human driver little time to react and take action. Driving needs some thinking ahead, which the AP eliminates. See this Electrek video posted a month ago. It has a few comments from the driver (Chris) explaining his angle. All the human drivers went around the parked van, but AP just bumped into it straight. In this case, AP performed much worse than average human drivers. This van is quite colorful, not painted white like the Florida trailer.
Tesla Model S driver crashes into a van while on Autopilot [Video]

I don't think anyone could have reacted in the time after the beeps started. Manufacturer's claims that AP was disengaged at the exact moment of the crash or pointing to fine prints, and blaming the human driver to protect itself from legal claims is lame.

mmd, your post cannot go unanswered because of the numerous inaccuracies. The video where the Tesla bumped the van that was extending partway into the lane was taken with autopilot OFF, but with cruise control on. With cruise control on, the cruise control was following the traffic ahead, which veered around the van. The cruise control's decision to brake was substantially delayed because of the ambiguity of whether the Tesla would avoid the van too. Now, if the autopilot lane-keeping feature was on, the autopilot would be required by rules to remain in the lane, it would have made the decision much earlier to brake for the van extending partway into the lane, and no contact would have occurred. Don't you see that with cruise control as the sole feature that is active, the Tesla will not work under the same rules as with the full autopilot ON?

Your point about autopilot disconnecting at the last minute to avoid legal claims is absurd. In the original Josh Brown video of a utility truck swinging into his lane, the Tesla quickly brought itself to the far side of the lane to begin the avoidance of the truck, but it is not allowed yet to exit the lane and so it disconnected and alerted the driver, who could exit the lane. Sounds like a reasonable response to me.

You also mention that drivers using autopilot are going to be unprepared to take over if the autopilot disconnects. This is only the case with drivers who abuse this safety feature and treat autopilot as if it is autonomous driving. The reason Tesla requires drivers to keep their hands on the wheel is because is because the driver is still required to be actively involved in the safety of the vehicle while the software is in its beta state. Autopilot allows the driver to be MORE aware of surroundings, if used properly, because the effort to stay in the lane and adjust speed is reduced. The driver with autopilot on has more time to concentrate on the important stuff. You cannot take examples of drivers who fail to maintain situational awareness with autopilot on and extrapolate to believe that these drivers are typical Tesla drivers, because they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.