Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up on last night's news (thx for the recap and reactions). According to my super-elite Yahoo Finance stock price page, looks like TSLA is up in pre-market by .65% right now. And SCTY is up slightly less (so arb gap still gives me a discount in TSLA accumulation). If I am guessing (no pretensions here) that things may bounce up a tad, then bounce down in amateur hour (no offense to other amateurs, and btw, that word is not derogatory, last time I checked it meant "lovers"), I'm wondering... put in a buy order for SCTY (guessing they'll continue to track) at 19.30? I'm thinking that there will be some downward pressure as articles come out, but that enough people will see this as rising tide for all EVs....
Thoughts? PMs? :)
Happy Tuesday everyone, it's been a week (no Audie, I'm not going there, honest!!, just a slight inference for the sake of short-term perspective)

According to Reuters LeEco (financial backer of the Faraday Future that is building EV plant in Nevada) is having cash problems. This confirms insider information that I obtained some time ago that due to problems with funding Faraday Future pushed back Nevada's EV plant completion schedule from 2017 to 2018.

"Jia Yueting, a billionaire who wants to take on global tech giants like Elon Musk'sTesla Motors Inc(TSLA), said in the letter sent to Reuters that the firm was facing "big company disease" after having expanded at an "unprecedented rate".

The letter casts a shadow over LeEco's bold ambitions in sectors from online entertainment to cars after the relatively unknown tech firm burst on to the Chinese market over the last few years. Jia has been making a big push in overseas markets as well including the United States."

Although according to Reuters Leshi Holdings secured $600MM of support, with part of it slated for its auto unit Faraday Futures, it seems that Leshi Holdings might abandon its auto ambition all together. This on some level might explain WS skepticism on success of Tesla - it is incredibly hard to start auto company in general, and an EV one especially as the product must be super compelling, which is not an easy task. On another level, however, it is a completely bone headed argument, as Tesla is the only example of such an automobile startup that is not only successful with the compelling EVs, but is about to leverage its core competencies into the TE and Tesla Network spaces. This example is even more of an indication of how risk assigned to Tesla enterprise is overestimated - their history of success where other failed at certain point need to be credited as something greater than zero.

In a statement sent to Reuters, Leshi said the fund commitments came from more than 10 Chinese companies. An initial tranche of $300 million would be delivered by the end of the month and be invested in the auto business and LeEco Global, it said

LeEco, which has invested in high-tech products from electric cars to smartphones, was facing a shortage of cash and suffering from expanding too fast and in too many
directions, its chief executive Jia Yueting told staff in a letter last week.

Jia has been vocal about LeEco's ambition to usurp Tesla Motors with its electric supercar in development with Faraday Futures.

Richard Windsor, an independent technology industry analyst, said he expects financial pressures to force LeEco out of its automative business, where the company has little competitive advantage.

Last edited:
That requiring cars which should be silent to make noise is stupid, wasteful, and pointless? If you can't see a 5000 lb object the size of a car coming at you, no silly noisemaker is going to make any difference to safety, but will make a big difference to the annoyance factor of being near (or in!) such a vehicle at low speed. Traffic jams need not be noisy to be safe. Modern ICEVs are relatively quiet compared to the gas guzzlers of yesteryear too.

You could argue that it benefits blind or visually impaired people, and to a point I might be willing to agree, but they also know that they have to be extra careful where normally sighted people don't have to worry as much, and the majority of 'blind' people are not actually blind, but vision impaired, and can still discern large moving objects (like cars) from the background world around them.

Bottom line: People should not walk into places cars could be, like parking lots or roadways, without actually looking for cars and ensuring that they are not walking into the path of one. Like your parents taught you when you were little, look both ways before you cross the street.
Well you touched on it, but obviously this is targeted directly at the blind and otherwise impaired. Keep in mind that the model S and X block out nearly all road sounds while driving so from inside the vehicle you won't hear the click or beep at all.

Basically, you are overreacting to problems that won't actually exist. Easy to do in this forum. :)

Nice indeed.. but 2nd half 2018... No real threat to Tesla. ..and why not sign up for the Tesla Superchargers ?
"I‑PACE Concept can achieve 80% charge in 90 minutes with a 50kW DC rapid charger.*"

50 kW in 2018 ?? That will not do it for a lot of customers. For me the Tesla SC-rate is the minimum to make business trips possible.
A year or two ago Elon said that they were in talks with some European car maker to let them use the Supercharger network. I think Jaguar and Land Rover are likely candidates.
There might be something we don't know about yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel and Gerardf
Jaguar have released a nice looking all electric concept car at the LA auto show. It is the first car I've seen that genuinely looks like it could compete with a Tesla. It will apparently be available from the second half of 2018. Here is the website with full details...

I really think the EV market is not a zero sum game. Introduction of new cars wouldnt necessarily take mkt share away from Tesla but actually make the EV market bigger. At the end of the day, I dont expect Tesla to have a monopoly in cars, but I do see them become a monopoly in the solar energy market (well to wheel).

I am surprised how many of my friends and colleagues here still dont consider Tesla a real alternative to a practical car. So many of them arent even aware of the actual range numbers and assume it is only 200 km at most. So long story short:

More EVs = greater consumer knowledge = increasing ev market size = death of ICE

A year or two ago Elon said that they were in talks with some European car maker to let them use the Supercharger network. I think Jaguar and Land Rover are likely candidates.
There might be something we don't know about yet.
Utilizing super chargers require BSPs on both sides to communicate and with a different battery chemistry and software implementation, this may be difficult. Still possible but a lot of software is required. It is much easier if Tesla battery pack is used. I give this a long shot chance.

I'm still scratching my head as to why none of these Tesla-wannabes haven't subscribed to the SuC network, I mean it's a win-win for everyone.

So sure, Bolt got the "car of the (next) year" award, but how are people going to road-trip with it?

Because if a car company joins Tesla's supercharging network and they go to supercharge their car, it will be at a Tesla branded supercharger. That just makes the brand charging at a Tesla branded SC not quite as powerful as the Tesla brand. IMO

Reactions: SunCatcher
It is the first car I've seen that genuinely looks like it could compete with a Tesla.
Are we looking at the same car? Boxy shape, weird hood cutout, blunt nose with excessively large grill, (two of them actually). Expected something much sleeker from Jaguar.

650x366

Are we looking at the same car? Boxy shape, weird hood cutout, blunt nose with excessively large grill, (two of them actually). Expected something much sleeker from Jaguar.

650x366

The Jag is shorter, narrower and taller. I much prefer it to a Bolt, but in the 2018 premium category I think it will be lacking. With that said, competitors have to start somewhere. Bring on an expansion to the BEV market!

Anton W has already a super article over at SeepingAlphabets where he discribes how the Jag will eventually destroy the MS and Tesla, how he could be cheaper than the MS, that it should certainly go more miles etc.etc. what a pathetic pr....k. if a laugh is worth the penny.. no don't go over there...
OT: my take on the past week and the coming weeks: proof again that short term predictions are a totally futile exercise. Buy when the price is fair to you (for me anything below 200) hold or accumulate, sell when you think the time is ripe (or you need the money), for me everything above 300. Black swans included. I am not gonna sell a single share until M3 is out.
Happy investing, TSLA is still on sale.

I think the media forgets it was Tesla that drove GM to make a car with a battery in it again (Volt), which spurred this competition between the two. Tesla will always be the leader and should be the mark to compare to any new EV, not the other way around. Ah, what the general public doesn't realize......
I don't think the media forgets.

I think the media is paid by GM and not by Tesla, and so Tesla is constantly fighting this headwind of its news being covered by agencies that aren't paid to make it sound rosy, and in some cases, they're probably paid to paint Tesla with a dark coloured brush.

I agree with Elon's methodology though, and its working. You don't need to advertise, if your product is sufficiently compelling on its own merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.