Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Why Tesla is associating "Paint it Black" with AP 2.0 and the Tesla brand is beyond me. A great rock and roll song don't get me wrong, I have always loved the song, but have you ever really considered what the song is about? It'd be like Tesla putting out an AP video with Eleanor Rigby as the soundtrack or something.)
Or why not Amish Paradise? :p

Being a long time observer of Tesla, I'm familiar with the process: First we have Elon's statement, followed by a video/pictorial teaser, then a reveal, lastly Execution. Tesla will deliver, be confident in that.

Just wait until they release that video showing batteries being produced at the rate of bullets coming out of a machine gun. That image is guaranteed to stun. Then, along with it, the announcement that Gigafactory 1 has doubled its battery production yet again.

If talk is cheap, so is an alliance with a troubled new partner. Tesla got NUMMI for peanuts, in the form of low valued shares or options, I think. So if the mighty VW needs a battery/automotive factory and if Tesla wants another foothold on the European continent, perhaps a mutually beneficial deal can be brokered. Maybe VW can even supply superfluous factory space? They did acquire a number of those in the last decades, I believe.
Could be worth consideration. JMHO

I once (half joking) suggested that in a post as well (in answer to no less than tftf ;-) ) Actually VW cooperating with Tesla and Panasonic on that would be win-win-win. Tesla will be having the early guaranteed demand for such joint-venture GigaFactory, while VW gets access to knowledge, experience and patents thus derisking their investment in Li-Ion and EV's and get access to high volume priced Li-Ion cells as soon as their BEV's are ready for the market. All that for a lousy few Billion Euro's. The might even be able to get some VW people the have to let go work there in production.
Tesla might even throw in SuperCharger access for VW long range BEV's for a special price.

Reactions: Lessmog
This whole thing does point to the difficulty for people to evaluate Tesla. Think of the poor auto analyst that has to deal now with direct sales, lack of monthly sales reports, unclear regional allocation from a production constrained factory, direct leasing, stationary storage, solar PPAs, and so forth. Before, all they had to do was compare the market cap against GM or Ford, but now what do they do?

EUREKA!

(Why Tesla is associating "Paint it Black" with AP 2.0 and the Tesla brand is beyond me. A great rock and roll song don't get me wrong, I have always loved the song, but have you ever really considered what the song is about? It'd be like Tesla putting out an AP video with Eleanor Rigby as the soundtrack or something.)
The autonomous world of sensors, cameras, and radar view the world in 'bits' of black to white, and grey. As long as the image analysis is sufficient, then greyscale can be used. Color adds nothing to the car's analysis.

When will TM load a natural language processor so we can talk to the car?

The autonomous world of sensors, cameras, and radar view the world in 'bits' of black to white, and grey. As long as the image analysis is sufficient, then greyscale can be used. Color adds nothing to the car's analysis.

Color adds contrast which can definitely help the car distinguish one object from another, although it doesn't care what particular color something is except traffic lights I'd suppose.

There is speech processing already - you can talk to your car (it doesn't work very well yet though, a bit below the level of Siri and Cortana).

That is all, thank you kindly.

how is an earthquake in OK relevant to the short term tesla movement?... it's not... but it should be... ever consider that there may be a side effect to what Elon is proposing?... probably not... but the day there's a 6.5+ in OK... fracking will come under question... then Nat gas will be in question... then EVs will be in question.

Thanks To Fracking, Earthquake Hazards In Parts Of Oklahoma Now Comparable To California

"On the other hand, the fracking craze is responsible for the dramatic drop in carbon emissions in America because it has provided enough gas at cheap prices for natural gas to replace coal. Our emissions are now at a 27-year low."

Any fracking in italy or NZ?

So here is a bit of news about VW's EV plans, but first a bit of a background.

Audi has a huge manufacturing plant in Northern Hungary. In 2015 it employed almost 12,000 people and generated a revenue of 8Bn EUR. That factory is a pretty big deal, has been open for like 20+ years and is responsible for 9% (!) of the Hungarian export alone. They make all the Audi TTs and some versions of the A3s and a big chunk of the VW group engines (2 million in 2015 alone).

So 3 days ago Audi had a big press event locally, announcing that they will start manufacturing Audi's electric cars in said factory starting 2018/2019 and will also be producing electric motors in the plant as well. They also said, upon answering journalist questions, that Audi is finalizing its EV portfolio right now so they cannot share more, but that prototypes are already in production at this very factory. The plant made 160k cars last year, but they didn't say if the EVs will be on top o this or if some ICE models will move to other factories to make room for this.

Last edited:
we are trading the earth's crust for slightly reduced CO2 emissions... but I'm sure Elon and Tesla investors have it all worked out.

Which states consume and produce the most natural gas? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
This is why Tesla specifically cut and capped the NG lines to the Gigafactory. I believe they are removing the NG lines to their other factories too, though probably not immediately. Musk said he didn't want to be tempted to use NG for process heat even when it would be cheaper than electricity. All newly constructed operations will *not* use NG.

This is why Tesla specifically cut and capped the NG lines to the Gigafactory. I believe they are removing the NG lines to their other factories too, though probably not immediately. Musk said he didn't want to be tempted to use NG for process heat even when it would be cheaper than electricity. All newly constructed operations will *not* use NG.
but then wants to produce 500k EVs per year starting in 2018... then 1m per year by 2020... shifting cars from oil to NG + nuclear + coal... it is pretty clear the SolarCity/Tesla roofs are only intended for a small minority of houses... so Tesla's entire business model is geared towards NG or additional nuclear. (yeah... there's probably some about to rant about renewables... but go check out the nationwide stats on how much renewables account for energy production... and then break down how much of that is solar)

"Larmor, this is your X 90D speaking. I have been analyzing your phone conversations and plain speech for two months now. A detailed profile of your tendencies is being mapped out at present. I am also working on synthesizing your voice. I will share my thoughts with you soon enough. You really need to wipe up those bird droppings on my left eyebrow. Model X out."

but then wants to produce 500k EVs per year starting in 2018... then 1m per year by 2020... shifting cars from oil to NG + nuclear + coal... it is pretty clear the SolarCity/Tesla roofs are only intended for a small minority of houses... so Tesla's entire business model is geared towards NG or additional nuclear. (yeah... there's probably some about to rant about renewables... but go check out the nationwide stats on how much renewables account for energy production... and then break down how much of that is solar)

Or more accurately, Tesla looks to leverage the fungibility of electricity production. For overnight BEV charging, each electricity generation region can leverage whatever works best for them. In Washington state, that means hydro. In Texas, it means wind. In the mid-Atlantic, its nuclear. Further, as the grid mix improves, BEVs can benefit from those improvements. Surely, even if you are against Tesla, you can see the very big reasons to move to BEVs, right?

While there is a ton of room for SCTY to make profits in the solar roof sector, I think solar utilities are going to be a much larger energy sector for them (lower margin, orders of magnitude more electrical generation and storage)

Reactions: neroden
Or more accurately, Tesla looks to leverage the fungibility of electricity production. For overnight BEV charging, each electricity generation region can leverage whatever works best for them. In Washington state, that means hydro. In Texas, it means wind. In the mid-Atlantic, its nuclear. Further, as the grid mix improves, BEVs can benefit from those improvements. Surely, even if you are against Tesla, you can see the very big reasons to move to BEVs, right?
at this point NG is the only reason why BEVs make sense... that took about 15 to 20 years to occur and there's no sign that will change in any short term... do you agree with that?...

"Surely, even if you are against Tesla, you can see the very big reasons to move to BEVs, right?"

let's explore this... i assume if this statement is true... then shifting 100% today from ICE to BEVs would be an incredible improvement, right?... transportation accounts for approximately 30% of total energy consumption in the US... where about half of that is for transporting people... electricity accounts for 40% of total US energy consumption... so what happens if we add 15% of all US energy consumption to evening hours on the electrical grid?

I don't know... do you?... not all states have massive hydro like the west coast... and are those really going to be able to support that increase?... wind in Texas only accounts for 12%... and the rest of the renewables account for very little... so, what would increase?... Nuclear, NG or coal?... if we increase NG... then we're going to keep seeing an increase in headlines above... are we going to vote in a bunch of new nuclear plants?... or in a Trump administration... would a dramatic increase in BEVs lead to a dramatic increase in coal production leading to a dramatic increase in CO2 emissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.