Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VW currently has enough money for 1 GF. Perhaps a capital raise of another $5 billion is needed to seriously contend, but who will trust them after the scandal?

Building a GF isn't easy, especially with Tesla leading the charge. If you were Panasonic or Samsung and VW approached you, would you trust them?

Talk is cheap. I'm standing pat on my position that there isn't a competitor to Tesla within a 3-5 year timeframe. By that time, Tesla will have worked on their 2nd or 3rd GF, be fully autonomous, a main player in the energy/solar sector and building robotics for VW's GF, Benz, and all of the above.

Last edited:
Orders are now being taken in important new markets, such as Korea and Taiwan, for 2017 delivery.
Hey! Don't forget New Zealand, whose population is about to double with expatriate Americans!

Mod edit:
Misspellings in general are not tended to by Moderators, but the original version was far too politically egregious to leave unattended. Also, this Mod is certain it was an unintentional error.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what can we expect in trading tomorrow? As always, I look at the trend in macros, I look at the news cycle and I look at the previous week's trading for clues.

On the one hand, tomorrow's most likely negative is that the day is only the second full trading day since the merger was announced and shorts drew down a couple hundred thousand shares to employ Friday morning. They could double-down their efforts Monday morning to try and convince investors that longs are actually doing the morning selling and put a negative spin on the merger vote. For these reasons I see the potential for volatility of the negative type in the morning. I wouldn't regard a morning dip tomorrow as the typically-benign type, for this reason.

On the other hand, the autopilot videos circulating this weekend could bring in new buyers. The question mark about the whether the merger will go through has been erased and larger investors and institutions may now feel more comfortable getting back into TSLA. The 85% approval rate for the merger brought the SP higher on Thursday evening and may more accurately describe sentiment compared to Friday morning's influence by short selling. The stock price is historically low at a time when Tesla released impressive Q3 results and is suggesting even better results in Q4. There's certainly upside potential to the day, too. Tesla's long-term downside potential looks weak and pale compared to the upside potential and on Friday we saw fair volume which suggested that there are buyers at this price point.

The big question I have is whether TSLA will transition from a morning dip as shorts make their "you should be afraid of the merger" statement to a nice green day like it did on Thursday, or whether it will lose its momentum after the dip and remain mired in slightly negative territory as it did on Friday until the closing hour. Macros and analyst statements could mean the difference.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Could you please provide a source for these numbers?

Tesla's Q2 10-Q says there were 148M shares outstanding on June 30, 2016, and Q3 10-Q says 149M shares outstanding on September 30, 2016.

Common stock; $0.001 par value; 2,000,000 shares authorized as of June 30, 2016 and​

December 31, 2015; 148,015 and 131,425 shares issued and outstanding as of

June 30, 2016 and December 31, 2015.

Common stock; $0.001 par value; 2,000,000 shares authorized as of September 30, 2016 and

December 31, 2015; 149,825 and 131,425 shares issued and outstanding as of

September 30, 2016
and December 31, 2015
The 3Q 10-Q also says that "as of October 25, 2016, there were 149,891,190 shares of the registrant’s Common Stock outstanding."

SEC Filings | Tesla Motors

Edit: Found the diluted average share numbers. Since diluted average shares in Q2 were significantly lower than outstanding shares at the end of Q2 (148M v. 140M) I wonder whether most of the difference in diluted shares is attributable to the Q2 stock offering and option exercises in Q2 -- shares outstanding increased from 133M at the end of Q1 to 148M at the end of Q2. Maybe someone who understands the diluted average share calculation better can weigh in.

Diluted shares are only counted in EPS calcs when there is a GAAP profit: in quarters when losses are reported diluted shares = shares outstanding. If earnings are negative there can be no dilution

VW currently has enough money for 1 GF. Perhaps a capital raise of another $5 billion is needed to seriously contend, but who will trust them after the scandal?

Building a GF isn't easy, especially with Tesla leading the charge. If you were Panasonic or Samsung and VW approached you, would you trust them?

Talk is cheap. I'm standing pat on my position that there isn't a competitor to Tesla within a 3-5 year timeframe. By that time, Tesla will have worked on their 2nd or 3rd GF, be fully autonomous, a main player in the energy/solar sector and building robotics for VW's GF, Benz, and all of the above.

If talk is cheap, so is an alliance with a troubled new partner. Tesla got NUMMI for peanuts, in the form of low valued shares or options, I think. So if the mighty VW needs a battery/automotive factory and if Tesla wants another foothold on the European continent, perhaps a mutually beneficial deal can be brokered. Maybe VW can even supply superfluous factory space? They did acquire a number of those in the last decades, I believe.

Could be worth consideration. JMHO

Weekend musings. I've been trying to figure out why I am more confident in Tesla's huge long term success than in any company I've ever invested in or been a part of. It comes down to three things:

1. The markets Tesla serves are vast and market trends now strongly favor Tesla. The EV space was seen as a small niche market until Tesla proved with the Model S that a long distance EV is not only possible but a much better experience than an ICE car. Aided by Dieselgate, market sentiment has now strongly switched to EV's being seen as the solution for meeting ever more stringent emissions requirements. The German automakers have capitulated, and my guess is that the looming Model 3 tsunami will cause the others, including Toyota, to eventually follow.

The same is becoming true in the market for utility scale battery storage. Forward thinking utilities are already installing battery systems instead of building new peaker plants. I have not picked up any sentiment that there is looming better solution to this or to smoothing out the delivery of energy from renewables.

The market sentiment in solar power is a little more muddled in the medium term until the future of residential net metering is sorted out, but again there are no alternate solutions to renewable power that have a chance of being a ubiquitous solution like solar.

2. Tesla has a compelling and defensible competitive advantage. This can be seen best in autos, where the unwillingness of the large competitors to embrace the long distance EV space for so long has allowed Tesla to innovate through multiple product cycles while the others are mostly just getting started. The resulting technological gap can't be closed just by throwing money at the problem, because it also requires focus and the time necessary to come up the learning curve. And what possible innovation can come from startups or the large auto makers that Tesla isn't already doing or could easily replicate with their engineering talent?

In the energy storage space, Tesla is beginning to reveal its competitive advantage as the low cost producer. But often overlooked is their vast experience with battery systems operating in real world environments and the reliability data that comes from this. This will provide comfort to the more conservative utilities as they are forced to adopt battery storage for regulatory and competitive reasons.

In the solar energy space, Tesla's main competitive advantage will be having a global, respected brand in what heretofore has been a very fragmented space. Solar City already has more residential systems installed in the U.S. than any other competitor. And combining battery storage with solar will be a necessity to be cost effective as retail net metering is gradually phased out. This same combo technology allows Tesla to offer an integrated solution at utility scale for solar power generation.

3. Execution. Many outsiders see this as a weakness of Tesla because of missed deadlines and the Model X production problems. But if you step back and look at the pace at which Tesla has engineered and delivered advanced product capabilities it is astounding. The fact is that, led by Elon, Tesla employees work longer, harder and smarter. And like Google, it is a place where smart young people want to work. In addition, Elon has been attracting executive talent such as in Finance and Manufacturing that are helping the company to mature its capabilities without slowing it down. And another advantage is that when Tesla has had execution missteps like the Model X it is willing to admit the issues and focus on fixing them. This builds confidence that Tesla can continue to out execute its competitors.

So what are the risks to this rosy scenario? I believe they mainly fall in the Acts of God category - something happening to Elon, massive earthquake damaging the Fremont factory, etc. There is still a short-term financing risk, but we have seen in the past 30 days how focused Musk and Wheeler are at mitigating this risk.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I added 25% to my long term Tesla holdings on Friday at $190. I invite @Value Ev, @myusername, @brian45011, @bonaire, @mmd and the other doubters to shoot holes in my thesis. Fire away!

Tesla Energy is a souffle that is still in the oven. Tesla Energy lost $1.4 million at the gross profit level in both 3Q16 and for the 1st nine months of 2016. See pp 28 & 29 of the most recent 10Q

Tesla does have a bit of momentum and swag going for it:

1. A massive beat in Q3
2. A massive vote of confidence in the SCTY merger.
Imagine if our presidential candidates received 85% of the
popular vote.
3. The Auto-Pilot level 4 video...
4. Elon's statement that solar roof will be cheaper than non solar
roof.
5. Production of TE is expected to begin sometimes in December,
Deliveries commences in January.
6. Demand continues to look strong for S&X
7. VW's statement that they'll need a GF, validating what Elon and
team already saw 3 years ago, yet VW is still gathering research
8. The Bolt being a no show, then embarrassingly stating it won't
be available across the nation.

By looking into competitor statements, we can see Tesla's crystal clear vision. December will be volatile, I would stay away from options and buy shares. Add incrementally as there is no telling where the bottom is. Investing is about research and then developing a sense of confidence in the accuracy of your information. The long game looks great, for the short term, flip a coin.

Being a long time observer of Tesla, I'm familiar with the process: First we have Elon's statement, followed by a video/pictorial teaser, then a reveal, lastly Execution. Tesla will deliver, be confident in that.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Lessmog, post: 1836502, member: 15891 Tesla got NUMMI for peanuts, in the form of low valued shares or options,[/QUOTE]

Toyota bought (IIRC) $30 million worth of shares at the 2010 IPO in a private placement; Tesla used the proceeds to buy the NUMMI millstone from Tesla (Alameda County property taxes were bleeding Toyota on an unused $1 billion appraised value asset) Tesla paid another ~$14 million for equipment and permits. Toyota now has an indemnity from Tesla for any CERCLA (Superfund) liability for the site.

A year or two ago Toyota reported selling some (if not all) the shares it bought.

you are in Calif, where, to my POV, Diablo canyon nuke will be replaced in 9 years with distributed renewables and storage, a positive
here in my 2nd home in Florida, "the sunshine state" the utilities have freaked out and put lots of millions into Prop 1 yes vote to disenfranchise small, distributed PV systems. That is sentiment by utilities against renewables and PV and when it fails will add upward pressure and let me get PV and a powerwall or 2

Why aren't the roofs of Fremont, Lathrop, and on Electric Avenue covered in panels by now?

[QUOTE="Lessmog, post: 1836502, member: 15891 Tesla got NUMMI for peanuts, in the form of low valued shares or options,

Toyota bought (IIRC) $30 million worth of shares at the 2010 IPO in a private placement; Tesla used the proceeds to buy the NUMMI millstone from Tesla (Alameda County property taxes were bleeding Toyota on an unused $1 billion appraised value asset) Tesla paid another ~$14 million for equipment and permits. Toyota now has an indemnity from Tesla for any CERCLA (Superfund) liability for the site.

A year or two ago Toyota reported selling some (if not all) the shares it bought.
Yes, that tallies with my my recollection of about $52-52M cost to Tesla for Nummi, and also that Toyota later sold their TSLA. Great deal for one of them, so far ...

Last edited:
Nov 19
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
@veritasDK @TeslaMotors That and Paint It Black will both be uploaded for free as Easter (holiday?) eggs

My best guess is the music tracks will be included as an Easter Egg for Christmas (pc translation = "holidays").

(Why Tesla is associating "Paint it Black" with AP 2.0 and the Tesla brand is beyond me. A great rock and roll song don't get me wrong, I have always loved the song, but have you ever really considered what the song is about? It'd be like Tesla putting out an AP video with Eleanor Rigby as the soundtrack or something.)

Why aren't the roofs of Fremont, Lathrop, and on Electric Avenue covered in panels by now?
Because today Tesla would've had to buy panels from some supplier at a markup, with cash. That supplier would have to book that as revenue and (possibly) pay taxes on it. Once Tesla finishes digesting Solar City, it can get the panels for cost, with no revenue booked to itself, and possibly even get preferential tax treatment for the "investment".

Interesting theory, Neoden. My question would be "can you show me other companies where the bots are capping important technical numbers so effectively?" Maybe you can, I'd be very interested to see.
Nope, just spitballing. I do know that it's become disturbingly common for big operators to write their own algobots or pay to use someone else's rather than actually trading in person.

Well said. I'm familiar with some of these areas. And many of them are in invironmentally sensitive areas. The regulators make smart informed decisions. They watch for what matters; If you're not polluting the ground water/ using lead and other known hazards to our local communities, then 'my job is to help you insert or build your business here. I'm both protecting and enabling in equal measure'
- great public service folks doing that work.

Many land and business developers love working with those folks - and both parties see it as win win. It really can and does work well and balanced in a number of areas I'm familiar with... they exist under the media radar, and are more common than prevalently believed.
Thanks for that Papafox- couldn't agree more

After Yucca Mountain, anything is benign.

Fremont's roof apparently can't physically support the panels (ugh).

As for the others, I figure the primary issue is that Tesla makes more money selling to third parties than it saves by installing on its own site. This is called "profit margin". :p Same reason they haven't installed batteries everywhere yet, though notably, they have done so at certain Supercharger sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.