Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This particular horse has been beaten dead so many times its getting ridiculous. Even in worst case mostly coal-fired West Virginia, a Model S has lower well-to-wheels CO2 emissions than ICEVs and is approximately on par with hybrids. The data is out there, all you have to do is look for it. BEVs are better than ICEVs, even if you power them with dirty coal-fired power.
Yep, here ya go @myusername

Cleaner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G
I don´t get the connection with Benny Hill - music by him??

Yakety Sax was a tune played and jointly composed by saxophonist Boots Randolph. It was a hit record in 1963, and later adopted by Benny Hill as his show's theme song.

Meanwhile, I've determined that the car's route begins in Los Altos, winds through Los Altos Hills and ends at Tesla headquarters in Palo Alto.

Article in The Economist: Polluting the outlook

Though Mr Trump can unwind many domestic environmental regulations, analysts say he may find his hands tied by market forces, by the limits to federal power and by the fact that energy investments can take decades to pay, making it unwise for owners of power plants, oil-and-gas fields, and pipelines in America to dismiss the clean-energy revolution. First, his desire to open up what he says may be $50 trillion-worth of oil and gas reserves under federal lands will depend on oil prices. Even with lower regulatory costs, oil prices still need to rise well above $50 a barrel to make most drilling in America economic. Now, there is too much oil, not too little.

Low oil prices may also make the Keystone pipeline a non-starter for commercial reasons, because crude from Canada’s tar sands is fiendishly expensive to extract. Moreover, were Mr Trump to succeed in stimulating shale-gas production, his task of rescuing the coal industry would become harder. Utilities may find it cheaper to burn gas rather than coal.

Third, Mr Trump is unlikely to seek to repeal tax credits for wind and solar energy, which were extended last year by Congress until 2020 and 2021, respectively. As it is, costs of renewable energy are plummeting, making them increasingly able to compete against gas and coal without subsidies in a few states. As a businessman, Mr Trump would surely see it as foolish to squander a part of America’s energy bounty, however clean, that may soon be able to cover its costs. As a politician, he might also note that renewable energy now employs more people than oil and gas.

Vgrinshpun,
I was just pondering your post about the massive jump in TSLA short interest last week:
tslashortinterest.JPG

Trying to gain some perspective, that's the equivalent of over 2 million additional shares of TSLA sold this past week in the most damaging way possible (most likely). No wonder the week was no walk in the park! Maybe the TSLA shorts are up to 31 million or 32 million shares before the SCTY shorts are added (we'll find out Nov 15 numbers on Friday after market close). TSLA is going to be really heavy on the shorts after the SCTY conversions, and that has to be a very uncomfortable situation because many of the SCTY shorts don't really want to be shorting TSLA I mean 5 million SCTY shares were shorted last week by people placing a bet that the merger wouldn't go through. If the SCTY shorts run for the exits, it could freak out some of the TSLA shorts. Will be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Vgrinshpun,
I was just pondering your post about the massive jump in TSLA short interest last week:
View attachment 203031

Trying to gain some perspective, that's the equivalent of over 2 million additional shares of TSLA sold this past week in the most damaging way possible (most likely). No wonder the week was no walk in the park! Maybe the TSLA shorts are up to 31 million or 32 million shares before the SCTY shorts are added (we'll find out Nov 15 numbers on Friday after market close). TSLA is going to be really heavy on the shorts after the SCTY conversions, and that has to be a very uncomfortable situation because many of the SCTY shorts don't really want to be shorting TSLA I mean 5 million SCTY shares were shorted last week by people placing a bet that the merger wouldn't go through. If the SCTY shorts run for the exits, it could freak out some of the TSLA shorts. Will be interesting to see.

Exactly my thoughts and the reason for question to Dusaniwsky and my post. Glad that somebody is pondering the same thing as me...

I have no idea how it will turn out, but it will be interesting to watch nevertheless.
A little knowledge of the background can't hurt in deciphering the action tomorrow. Scratch this - today.

"BEVs are better than ICEVs, even if you power them with dirty coal-fired power."

I have researched this... and it ends up being neutral... not better.
Think about it this way - if you replace an ICE vehicle with a BEV, and then take the gasoline that ICE vehicle would have used, burn it in a power plant and use the power to charge the BEV, the BEV will use less gasoline per mile.

The good thing about BEVs is that they can be powered by pretty much anything. Here in Norway, BEVs are powered by ~98% hydro. In Germany it would be 50% renewables and nuclear, 25% coal and 25% NG (roughly). In all places that use under ~80% coal, BEVs will be better for the environment.

And this is something that will improve. Globally, renewables are the fastest growing electricity generation by a huge margin. Solar Is the Fastest-Growing Energy, Says Top Fossil Fuel Major

An important thing to note here is thus that BEVs will become cleaner and cleaner, as the grid electricity becomes cleaner and cleaner. While on the other hand, ICE vehicles will become dirtier and dirtier, as the low-impact sources of oil are used up, and we need to use increasingly dirty unconventional sources of oil. (Tar oil, shale oil/fracking, etc.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.