Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So with that large selloff at 1:10 would that be caping?

The most common shapes of capping are a plateau with small bumps on top or either horizontal trading with small bumps (@ 25 cents up or down or so) and a series of broad plateaus with small bumps.Sometimes it looks like the kind of plateau you see at 10:45am-10:57am with a small decline followed by a bumpy plateau.

I am a civil servant on a county level. I hate to say it, but so many employees protected by the civil service system are grossly overpaid and should be purged.

I was one of 32 selected in a national competition for a one year appointment in the federal bureaucracy decades ago in the first year of a fellowship jointly sponsored by the then Civil Service Commission and the American Society for Public Administration. The fellowship and its successor was designed to get college and university teachers about public policy experience in actual public policy formation at the national level.

There were two takeaways about my experience decades ago which I can talk about that I worry have not changed. One buttressed the conclusions of our county level public servant above. At first I was assigned to a sub-unit of our agency and just told to read the files. After awhile I complained to the administrators of my fellowship and was promptly reassigned to another sub-unit where we worked like hell all the time. I was happy but that is one reason why in my exit interview I told the HR guy I wanted to be kept on the agency's list as a consultant. He laughed uproariously. No one likes whistleblowers.

The other takeaway is illustrated by my post above when I complained about the executive banquet room where we entertained foreign dignitaries of color after I observed our servers were all African-American males. At another point my boss and I were able to stop a potentially disastrous and diplomatically embarrassing incident from happening only because I caught my boss in time after he was spending an enormous amount of time, good for his career, in God's country on the fifth floor with an assistant to a top agency official. Afterwards I remarked to my boss, "wow, this just illustrates you have to do what your bosses want with your time, even though the demands for doing your job well dictate otherwise. How do you handle it?" My boss replied, "I'm pretty good at anticipating what my bosses want me to do."

It is probably a feature of all bureaucracies, public and private, that job performance is hampered by bad bosses just as much, if not more so than for bad employees. I remember the noted economist Anthony Downs once gave a talk at a UC campus arguing something to the effect: suppose you report to someone who evaluates you and you know there's something he/she/it doesn't want to know or hear, and so you dilute the information just by 10 percent alone. Multiply this by the many levels of bureaucracy, what is the likely value of information once it reaches the top?

My rank in the bureaucracy was equivalent to the pay of a Lt. Col. in the military, at the tender age of 31. I thought that was something until I counted once and discovered I was at least 14 levels of separation from the President. If Downs is right and the direction of information distortion goes through to the top, this explains foreign policy disasters of enormous and long-standing distortions like the second Iraq war or the Bush administration's bizarre occupation right after Saddam's ouster. (Cf. The Emerald Palace.) Or, the purge of the EPA or the Energy Department attempted by the President elect, which in the latter case was met with refusal according to today's news, is a necessary consideration for top policy makers to maintain control over their bureaucracy so people like my former boss would remain in their positions. I presume that would be the direct opposite of the outcome hoped for @CaliBear1.

Since I digress again, I shall not talk about the good experiences I had when I worked for the feds.

Fed rate hike.

Fed raises rates, sees faster pace of increases in 2017

SP dropped but is currently recovering. Aren't these things supposed to be really bad?
CzqRNgzXcAEMJRR.jpg:large

Liberals cheered when Obama said he would ignore Congress and just implement his policies with "a pen and a phone." Problem now is Trump will also have a pen and a phone. Standing against an Imperial Presidency part-time does not prevent the erosion of democracy.

I'm curious how this "firing" of military officers compares to previous administrations. Wasn't Obama's first Secretary of Defense a Republican?

Outside of emotional predictions that we will shoot through MA's without knowing where they are. Does anyone have a thoughtful reason to believe we will hold 202 or move higher prior to delivery numbers? Also, barring a very significant delivery beat, does anyone believe that hitting guidance will move us north?

I am quite surprised by this move over the last couple of days. I see the news we've received as bullish, though, no more bullish than much of what we have seen over the last month or two. I strongly felt we wouldn't move significantly prior to the ER. For the moment I am once again on the wrong side of short term predictions. I'd love to hear the thoughts of others.

Edit: While we have moved over the last couple days, I recognize we are still within the trading range we've seemingly been frozen in.

Outside of emotional predictions that we will shoot through MA's without knowing where they are. Does anyone have a thoughtful reason to believe we will hold 202 or move higher prior to delivery numbers? Also, barring a very significant delivery beat, does anyone believe that hitting guidance will move us north?

I am quite surprised by this move over the last couple of days. I see the news we've received as bullish, though, no more bullish than much of what we have seen over the last month or two. I strongly felt we wouldn't move significantly prior to the ER. For the moment I am once again on the wrong side of short term predictions. I'd love to hear the thoughts of others.

Edit: While we have moved over the last couple days, I recognize we are still within the trading range we've seemingly been frozen in.

While I'm not large volume trader (currently own 50 shares of TSLA mostly purchased at $180) I looked at the stock pretty thoroughly and came out with the feeling that TSLA under $200/share was a good buy in medium to long. Trying to predict day to day is a fools errand.

I was one of 32 ... I was at least 14 levels of separation from the President. If Downs is right and the direction of information distortion goes through to the top, this explains foreign policy disasters of enormous and long-standing distortions ...
I once spoke to an acquaintance that worked in the Fish and Wildlife Branch for the province. He said there was an almost complete disconnect between the field studies that he performed (and had done for years) and the policy changes at the top. The information faded to nothing in both directions.

Always possible. But if the result of the meeting is anything other than Musk making an enemy in the white house, then result will be seen as a "positive meeting". Which means a huge doubt monkey will be off TSLA's shoulders. There is also a really decent chance Trump will see Elon's companies as shining role models, which they are of course, and say as much. I am hugely bullish on this development.

To be clear, I am no fan of Trump and think nothing substantive will come of it. But this has the power to de-politicize Tesla Motors, if just for a little while. In terms of short term trading, tactically, I think this is a tradeable moment.
I am right there with you, AustinEV. Hopefully this can begin to build a bridge across the partisan divide. Right wingers are hopelessly stuck on "green=bad" in an emperor has no clothes kind of way, so perhaps Trump can light the way towards right wing acceptance of these markets and start talking about them like the source of jobs and energy independence they are.

I am right there with you, AustinEV. Hopefully this can begin to build a bridge across the partisan divide. Right wingers are hopelessly stuck on "green=bad" in an emperor has no clothes kind of way, so perhaps Trump can light the way towards right wing acceptance of these markets and start talking about them like the source of jobs and energy independence they are.

Yeah agree with your agreeing.

Strange, this "knife edge" I speak of has ramifications far beyond TSLA ticker this week. This is his moment to decide if he really wants to promote american jobs or just be partisan and say green=bad. Hell the climate could hang on this... No pressure Elon.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and everman
Status
Not open for further replies.