Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TMC's "careful"/"prudent"/"cautious"/"skeptical" bulls seem more bullish than they have all year and apparently are in "Buy" mode.

Elon is so relaxed his mind has wandered to Boring Tunnels.

And many folks here seem to have more concerns about what is going on in Georgia's prisons than about TSLA.

Bullish signs? You be the judge.;)

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but as mars has no molten core I dont think geothermal would work there no? There would be no heat sounce inside he planet to justify the subsurface temperatures being warmer. Tunnels would still make great places to live.
You are right, shows my thin knowledge of mars :(
No geothermal "base heat" sadly makes heating of underground spaces quite energy intensive. (Or does it?)

Are We Entering the Photovoltaic Energy Era?

<Snip>
“The ultimate point of all of this is that PV is quickly positioning itself to be a really big player in the world,” predicts Gregory Wilson, co-director of DOE’s National Center for Photovoltaics. “For anyone who cares about climate change and carbon emissions, but who also cares about quality of life and not upending the economy, it [PV] is going to be a very desirable thing. Wind power right now has also been pretty amazing, but wind will top out. PV won’t.”

According to Wilson, the United States will have to set policies to push innovation to stay in the rough-and-tumble PV market.

“We argue so much about the silly politics of climate change and fail to recognize the gargantuan economic opportunity that this presents. The energy system is going to get re-engineered, and someone is going to do it,” he said. “The Chinese seem to have recognized the significance of this opportunity.”

PVs, Wilson asserts, will usher in an era of cheaper, cleaner energy that will be used for powering and even heating our homes; powering electric cars; and splitting hydrogen out of water that serves as a feedstock for making synthetic fuels for cars, trucks and airplanes.

“We see a lot of opportunities in front of us, but we seem slow or even paralyzed when it comes to acting on them. We have not always been this way,” he said.
The key to this quote, is that there is a business opportunity, and for the short term outlook, there should be better access to capital to take advantage of this business. Falling solar price reflects falling solar cost. If it falls far enough, other energy forms may be priced out on a pure market basis...

Reactions: MitchJi
The associated video is a powerful statement:

"You Are Hurting Future Generations": Mark Ruffalo's Message to People Profiting from Fossil Fuels | Democracy Now!

More than $5 trillion worth of investments are now pledged to be divested from fossil fuels. The analysis, issued Monday, details how nearly 700 institutions and nearly 60,000 individuals from across 76 nations have committed to divest their assets from the fossil fuel industry. Actor Mark Ruffalo spoke at a news
conference Monday in New York City.
<Snip>
We now have the technology, clearly, to move forward. I want to thank the fossil fuel industry for a hundred years of concentrated carbon fuel to bring us to this place and, through the technological revolution, to give us the technology today to move forward and away from burning carbon, which is killing our planet and our people.
<Snip>
So, you have beautiful people in the business sector who hear the call, whose moral vision hasn’t been so clouded, that they understand that now is the time to make a move forward to our future. And it’s a very beautiful future. It’s a future that excludes geopolitical strife. We won’t be fighting trillion-dollar wars over energy assets. It’s a future that keeps our energy dollars here in the state. It creates 3.5 million net gain of jobs, from the jobs we lose from the fossil industry. It allows people to stay home. They don’t have to go to extraction sites and put their lives in danger and put communities in danger, with the crime that comes with it, with that fossil fuel extraction.

Lastly, we have a cultural movement that’s arising. And we will keep fighting. What you see happening at DAPL is only the beginning. The 500,000—the 500,000 people that showed up for the climate march is only the beginning. And we are going to keep putting pressure on you businesses and you banks—Citibank, Wells Fargo—to stop poisoning our people and stop finance climate change. And we’re not going to stop. If you have your money in fossil fuel industry, you’re going to lose it. That’s the message coming out of today. That’s the message coming out of our youth. That’s the message coming out of our technological movement and leaders. Get your money out now, while you can.

MODERATOR <sigh> INPUT:

Weekend or no, all discussion of PRISON LABOR is completely off base for this forum. Go ahead and pursue it in the "Off Topic" forum if you care to continue it.

====>THE NEXT SUCH POST<====== and I'll be going back through the last ten or so pages and deleting the entire mess.

*********And charging the guilty parties $.40/minute for my time.*********

Last edited:
MODERATOR <sigh> INPUT:

Weekend or no, all discussion of PRISON LABOR is completely off base for this forum. Go ahead and pursue it in the "Off Topic" forum if you care to continue it.

====>THE NEXT SUCH POST<====== and I'll be going back through the last ten or so pages and deleting the entire mess.

And charging the guilty parties $.40/minute for my time.

I would suggest $1/minute;)

MODERATOR <sigh> INPUT:

And charging the guilty parties $.40/minute for my time.

To be billed on their next Alaskan vacation by their travel agent?

MODERATOR <sigh> INPUT:

*********And charging the guilty parties $.40/minute for my time.*********

I would suggest $1/minute;)

I would suggest the guilty parties' profile pages be tarred and feathered :p

Well, blanketyblanketyblankblankblank.

==>If Mars does have a molten core....where in blazes is its expletive blasted into the Oort Cloud ferschliggina magnetic field?

Whasss going on here? All stony agglomeration - none of those juicy nickel-irons? How could Earth and Mars have agglomerated so differently? Who's in charge of this Solar System, anyway?

O.T.? What O.T.? I'z da Mod heah.

• Funny
Reactions: ggr, dc_h and CatB

==>If Mars does have a molten core....where in blazes is its expletive blasted into the Oort Cloud ferschliggina magnetic field?

Whasss going on here? All stony agglomeration - none of those juicy nickel-irons? How could Earth and Mars have agglomerated so differently? Who's in charge of this Solar System, anyway?

Its molten rock -- says the above quoted article.
so no iron juice, no magnetic field

Its molten rock -- says the above quoted article.
so no iron juice, no magnetic field

Makes sense, molten core = heat, but no magnetic field.

So geothermal heating/energy source would still work.

As a good how to understand neural networks I quite like computerphile on youtube.

Basically you take a training data set like sensor input from cars and use it to train a neural network. You would do this in a server farm someplace with hardware optimized for training. After you trained the network you can distribute it to clients like cars and run it on hardware optimized for running it. I don't know how much of this is used for logic on the car but it's for sure how the car figures out is that a person, car, sign or street light? Neural networks for object recognition are old hat.

This Nvidia lecture is more topic specific to car based deep learning.

Last edited:
The cool thing about Tesla's data set is that it includes what the human driver did while driving with the raw input. I imagine this can be used to aid on the training side. Gives you options on the training side.

Artificial neural networks can be a bit confusing at first but man does this stuff have to power to really upend a lot of industries. Don't want to be holding the bag if the industry you are invested in gets upended. Not sure if the carbon bubble or the machine learning bubble will hit first or which will be more violent a pop. Should be fun to watch. Tesla is set to capitalize one or both bubbles simultaneously.

Reactions: ggies07
I could be wrong, but as mars has no molten core I dont think geothermal would work there no? There would be no heat sounce inside he planet to justify the subsurface temperatures being warmer. Tunnels would still make great places to live.

The is "dead" for all intents and purposes. That's why radiation is a problem--lack of strong magnetic field to protect the planet. You might be able to mine for radioactive material, but I'm not sure that the Martian crust has a significant concentration of radioactive isotopes.

Elon is so relaxed his mind has wandered to Boring Tunnels.
Huh.

So, see, I said a while back that the problem with Hyperloop was that Musk was solving the wrong problem. He came up with his napkin idea because high speed rail seemed expensive to him. Hyperloop has the same costs. They're civil construction costs.

Now his mind is on drilling tunnels. Maybe he's starting to seriously think about civil construction. Tunnels and bridges. How to make them cheaper and more efficiently.

That would be... totally awesome. He's good at figuring out how to make things cheaper and more efficiently.

After spending 30 minutes this week checking out a Chevy Bolt and about an hour investigating the availability of CCS DCFC stations in California I don't see how any self-respecting WS analyst could consider the Bolt as a competitive threat to Tesla.

I stopped by a Chevy dealer in San Jose and inquired about the Bolt. Here is what I learned:
- They have one demo/display unit
- They are allocated 106 Bolts from the first production batch
- Of those, the ones coming in December are already spoken for; the January units are available for purchase
- Price ranges from $37,500 to $44,000
- They are ordering all of their units with DCFC, a $750 option
- The car is roomy and utilitarian inside, materials are serviceable; this is not a premium car

I looked into the availability of CCS DCFC chargers to be able to drive a Bolt from Silicon Valley to Los Angeles.
- There are no CCS chargers on I5 - you have to travel on US 101 or CA 99, which takes an hour or more longer
- Most of the CCS chargers on the Chargepoint/BMW/VW "Express Charging Corridor" are 24kW - that would take 3 hours to charge a Bolt. A few are 50 kW
- When I questioned an exec friend at Chargepoint about this his response was "Remember we don't usually own stations so the choice of station power is typically up to the site owner. New installs on DC are trending towards higher power capability and we are working on some new business models for DC that will help solve this problem"
- The CCS chargers on the EVgo network are 50kW.
- All of the locations I found have at most 1 or 2 CCS DCFC ports
- Electricity and connection time charges for these networks seemed pretty high

It is clear that if you buy a Bolt in its first market of California you will not be taking many road trips (after your first one). The contrast with the Tesla supercharger network is stark. I don't see this situation changing for multiple years, and it affects all of Tesla so-called competitors. In fact if Bolt owners actually try to use it for long distance travel their frustrations could be a setback to EV adoption - other than Tesla, that is.

Huh.

So, see, I said a while back that the problem with Hyperloop was that Musk was solving the wrong problem. He came up with his napkin idea because high speed rail seemed expensive to him. Hyperloop has the same costs. They're civil construction costs.

Now his mind is on drilling tunnels. Maybe he's starting to seriously think about civil construction. Tunnels and bridges. How to make them cheaper and more efficiently.

That would be... totally awesome. He's good at figuring out how to make things cheaper and more efficiently.
Not sure how this helps Tesla... I'm afraid this will reinforce the Wall Street belief that EM is taking on too many ventures of which Wall Street isn't going to value. If anything of this nature is announced the SP will take a hit. We'll probably get couple of FUD on this already... EM bored of money burning Tesla so now working on digging tunnels.

I really love EM's passion to solve humanitarian problems but this seems to be a project for the government... hmmm maybe being on Trumps advisory team he can have some influence here.

I stopped by a Chevy dealer in San Jose and inquired about the Bolt. Here is what I learned:
- They have one demo/display unit
- They are allocated 106 Bolts from the first production batch
- Of those, the ones coming in December are already spoken for; the January units are available for purchase
- Price ranges from $37,500 to $44,000
- They are ordering all of their units with DCFC, a $750 option
- The car is roomy and utilitarian inside, materials are serviceable; this is not a premium car

Great info! Thanks. Did you have a chance to find out how many of those allocated 106 units were sold in December? Any idea on how many they plan to sell in the next few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.