Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how this helps Tesla... I'm afraid this will reinforce the Wall Street belief that EM is taking on too many ventures of which Wall Street isn't going to value. If anything of this nature is announced the SP will take a hit. We'll probably get couple of FUD on this already... EM bored of money burning Tesla so now working on digging tunnels.

I really love EM's passion to solve humanitarian problems but this seems to be a project for the government... hmmm maybe being on Trumps advisory team he can have some influence here.

Maybe being on the advisory team got him thinking more about infrastructure and civil construction. Especially how it is a key plank in Trump's administration to help rebuild infrastructure and increase jobs.

While I don't disagree that the FUD-sters are typing up their new titles on this one, it would be a truly clueless one to not see the interesting "coincidence" of his Tunneling tweet and his recent meeting with Trump.

Heck, if the government wants to build the infrastructure, it's going to have to hire people/companies to do it.

^
One of my favourite tweets of the day regarding boring / trump
Capture.JPG

:D

The associated video is a powerful statement:

"You Are Hurting Future Generations": Mark Ruffalo's Message to People Profiting from Fossil Fuels | Democracy Now!
[...] If you have your money in fossil fuel industry, you’re going to lose it. That’s the message coming out of today. That’s the message coming out of our youth. That’s the message coming out of our technological movement and leaders. Get your money out now, while you can.

Sorry for being slightly OT: That's actually a HUGE concern of mine. I don't believe that fossil fuel is either good business nor is it moral business. I want out. However, I don't believe in individual stocks. And aside from my long-term gamble with TSLA I only have index funds/ETFs.

I really would love to have an MSCI World / MSCI Emerging Market ETF screened for Fossil Fuel. I'm frustrated with the divest movement who talks about pulling funds from fossil fuel but who doesn't provide such ETFs for people like me. The guys behind the FFIUS (... and by the way where are the other fossil free indexes?) promised an ETF more than a year ago but so far - nothing.

So please if any divest people are reading this: please provide the funds required for a true fossil free lazy portfolio. Otherwise the believers in passive investment like myself are stuck. Thanks!

/Rant over /OT over

On short-term TSLA: I don't think that Buffalo or the Japanese plant are big enough to produce enough panels for regular SolarCity type solar installations. But they may both be required for the solar roof. I think in future both options will be in use and will be sold.

I stopped by a Chevy dealer in San Jose and inquired about the Bolt. Here is what I learned:
- There are no CCS chargers on I5 - you have to travel on US 101 or CA 99, which takes an hour or more longer
-
It is clear that if you buy a Bolt in its first market of California you will not be taking many road trips (after your first one). The contrast with the Tesla supercharger network is stark. I don't see this situation changing for multiple years, and it affects all of Tesla so-called competitors. In fact if Bolt owners actually try to use it for long distance travel their frustrations could be a setback to EV adoption - other than Tesla, that is.

Good bit of research there! If someone buys a Bolt instead of a Model S, with the spare money left in his pockets, he can do a few things for his rare long road trips:
1. Buy a second car, a Chrysler Pacifica plug-in and load the whole house when going on a road trip, not worry about charger locations or crowded chargers.
2. Rent a Mercedes Maybach and still have money left to splurge.
3. Take a flight.
4. Rent a new car for every trip that exactly meets the criteria for that trip.

BTW, you got me interested in the CCS network in the routes you mentioned. Take a look at the two routes below. A Bolt can be charged at Gilroy Premium outlets (see addresses in image), then take a 8 mile detour to Bakersfield CCS charger which is 212.2 miles away. It adds only 16 mins to original time of 4 hr 2 mins. Had you taken I-99 from Los Banos itself, it is 30 mins more, not an hour. I-99 is definitely a lot safer, lots of EVGO chargers at regular intervals. IMO, it won't be too long before someone puts a CCS in the I-5 route.

But I agree with the final part. Bolt is not for frequent road tripping. That use case is very rare, and many alternatives do exist, as I pointed out above. Just like Tesla owners, Bolt owners will have a second or third car in the family.
Gilroy_to_Santa Clarita on I5.JPG
Gilroy_to_Santa Clarita via Bakersfield.JPG

Last edited:
If someone buys a Bolt instead of a Model S, with the spare money left in his pockets, he can do a few things for his rare long road trips:
1. Buy a second car, a Chrysler Pacifica plug-in and load the whole house when going on a road trip, not worry about charger locations or crowded chargers.
2. Rent a Mercedes Maybach and still have money left to splurge.
3. Take a flight.
4. Rent a new car for every trip that exactly meets the criteria for that trip.

If someone buys an i-Miev instead of a Bolt with the spare money left in his pockets, he can do a few things for his rare long road trips:

1) Buy a second car, a 2016 Honda Civic, 2014 Chevy Volt plug-in, or a 2015 Chrysler Town & Country and load the whole house when going on a road trip, not worry about charger locations or crowded chargers.
2) Rent a Mercedes Mayback and still have money left to splurge.
3)Take a flight.
4) Rent a new car for every trip that exactly meets the criteria for that trip.

Last edited:
Elon changed his mind already on SC idle fee system:

@TeslaMotors We are going to modify this so that people only pay a fee if most bays are occupied. If the site is basically deserted, no problem to park.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Hope this strange twitter behavior (boring and now this) isn´t due to sleep deprivation but really a sign of a relaxed state of mind :confused:...

Update: Via reddit.com/r/teslamotors:

rIIgsCn.jpg

Must admit Tesla is quick with actions.

Last edited:
Just like Tesla owners, Bolt owners will have a second or third car in the family.

You are at least 1 1/2 year on this forum, involved in discussions with Tesla owners, 500+ posts.
You know what you state here is absolute nonsense. You know Tesla's are being used for long trips and 5.000 km+ vacations all the time and that very many Tesla owners rely daily on their car as their only car. I dare to guess 100.000 only have one car (like me), and I am sure close to 99% do not NEED to have a second / ICE car to do their roadtrips.

You also state you agree with Dennis's statement, where he actualy stated the opposite ( ".... other than Tesla").

This post could have been an interesting post and then you could not resist trying to talk Tesla down to GM/Bolt level. Sad.

Last edited:
If Elon was worried about 4th quarter delivery numbers and earnings, would he be musing publicly about starting a tunneling company?
I would agree. When we have production issues he literally sleeps on the production floor. I am happy he has time on his hands to joke around 13 days before EOY. I just really wish 2017 targets would be set conservatively as opposed to just barely making (or missing) them.

And aside from my long-term gamble with TSLA I only have index funds/ETFs.
I really would love to have an MSCI World / MSCI Emerging Market ETF screened for Fossil Fuel. .
Have you looked at GEX(VanEck Vectors Global Alternative Energy ETF)?
VanEck Vectors Global Alternative Energy ETF (GEX) Top Portfolio Holdings
This is NOT a recommendation since I'm down 62% since buying it in July 2008 (I hate to see what my position would be worth if TSLA were not its largest holding.)

Well, blanketyblanketyblankblankblank.

==>If Mars does have a molten core....where in blazes is its expletive blasted into the Oort Cloud ferschliggina magnetic field?

Whasss going on here? All stony agglomeration - none of those juicy nickel-irons? How could Earth and Mars have agglomerated so differently? Who's in charge of this Solar System, anyway?

O.T.? What O.T.? I'z da Mod heah.
spelling please, it's "furshlugginer" tho i forget which writer in Mad "who me?" came up with it

furshlugginer - Wiktionary
{ducks from the Krazy Kat and ignatz brickbats}

Elon changed his mind already on SC idle fee system:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Hope this strange twitter behavior (boring and now this) isn´t due to sleep deprivation but really a sign of a relaxed state of mind :confused:...

Update: Via reddit.com/r/teslamotors:

rIIgsCn.jpg

Must admit Tesla is quick with actions.
Someone pointed out that the SC problem is mostly a California problem. In the Northeast US Supercharger locations are rarely full and I hear the same for the Midwest. He is just reacting to other's input. How many other CEOs react to customers this openly, this quickly and this intelligently?

Not sure how this helps Tesla... I'm afraid this will reinforce the Wall Street belief that EM is taking on too many ventures of which Wall Street isn't going to value. If anything of this nature is announced the SP will take a hit. We'll probably get couple of FUD on this already... EM bored of money burning Tesla so now working on digging tunnels.

I really love EM's passion to solve humanitarian problems but this seems to be a project for the government... hmmm maybe being on Trumps advisory team he can have some influence here.
Remember, Musk gets excited by engineering problems. He's good at marketing and finance, but what he *likes* is engineering. Unusually, he likes *value* engineering, engineering to reduce costs while maintaining quality.

He realized he could do engineering on the factories instead of the product (the "machine that makes the machine"). What's the next step? Obviously, the construction industry (the "machine that makes the machine that makes the machine"). There are horrendous inefficiencies in the construction industry. He's already talking about this when it comes to roof-building. He must have seen a lot of this during the construction of the Gigafactory. It's as bad or worse in civil construction (bridges, tunnels, fills, cuts, retaining walls.) If Musk can squeeze out a bunch of the inefficiencies in civil construction and reduce costs there, it would be great.

anyone see the story on Clean Technica Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, & IKEA Setting Up EV Charging Stations For Tesla Owners
about what seems to me to be Tesla Supercharging standard becoming defacto standard
Sheetz gas stations putting in Superchargers (6 eastern US states) Hy-Vee grocery stores, midwest US, Ruby Tuesday restaurants (?national chain?) IE, "yes you can charge your EV, IF it meets Tesla charging standards"
would this be an upward pressure on stock price

Edit Addition:
China will have a huge advantage of less expensive energy and a better grid if we don't get our heads out of our butts.
China's far, far ahead of the US on electric buses, insanely far ahead on high speed rail, and of course ridiculously far ahead on solar panels.

Part of this is the classic "installed base" curse. They didn't have an incumbent fossil fuel industry, ICE manufacturing industry, or trucking lobby fighting *against* electric buses, high speed rail, or solar panels. We did.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-we-entering-the-photovoltaic-energy-era/
Lazard's new reports on LCOE and LCOS are out.
Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis 10.0
Levelized Cost of Storage Analysis 2.0

Yes, we are already in the photovoltaic energy era.

Note that they have a vast overestimate of the cost of retail batteries; the LCOS report is already out of date. Based on Powerwall 2.0 pricing, their costs for residential batteries are high by a factor of somewhere between 2 and 10 (depending on your assumptions).

Would be funny to see Musk's search history as he gets these ideas.

"How much does it cost to build a tunnel?"
"How heavy is rock?"
"Was the movie Tremors feasible?"
"How much harder than rock are diamonds?"
"Can you make a drill bit out of diamond for low cost?"
"How do tunnels survive Earthquakes?"
"What is the best AI to auto-reply to work emails?"
"Does Trump like tunnels?"
"What is a funny wordplay around tunnels?"
"Can a person live on Mars?"
"Why can't a person live on Mars?"
"How did aliens live on Mars?"