Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this update required for Tesla to book the money received for the AP software (working seven days a week)?:
Tesla is ‘getting close’ to releasing v8.1 software update, team working seven days a week says Elon Musk

<Snip>
Three weeks has passed and Musk reassured Tesla owners last night that they are “getting close” and that Tesla’s software team is working seven days a week to get the update out.
<Snip>
v8.1 of Tesla operating system is expected to include several important updates, including a long anticipated update to Tesla’s in-car browser – enabled through an upgrade of the core Linux OS to 4.4, which in turn is expected around the same time as v8.1.

More importantly for owners with the new generation of Autopilot hardware, v8.1 is expected to bring back all the Autopilot functionalities that are available in the first generation of Autopilot, but not yet adapted to the new hardware.
<Snip>

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and EinSV
For what it's worth I inquired about Solar Tile installers, certifications and such. No programs happening as of yet but I'll let you know when I hear something. I'll probably end up installing a couple.
I inquired with Tesla regarding the Solar Roof and haven't heard back from them. They obviously aren't anywhere near having a plan for sales or installation yet.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I inquired with Tesla regarding the Solar Roof and haven't heard back from them. They obviously aren't anywhere near having a plan for sales or installation yet.
I enquired about solar, I wanted to know how suitable our roof is, a moving band of shade due to one tall narrow tree on the south east side of our house. I asked the woman I talked to if the Solar tiles would be suitable, since if I understand it correctly our situation will work better with micro inverters.

She said she didn't know anything about that system yet, asked if and when we need a new Roof. I said we do, and it depends on how long we decide to stretch our current Roof. She said that she would put us on a waiting list. A few hours later I got the following via email:

Your solar roof is reserved.

Welcome to the Solar Roof Reservation List

Solar roof looks better than a typical roof, lasts longer than a typical roof, and produces its own power. You're officially on the list to be one of the first to get it.

We'll send you an update about solar roof availability soon.

Reservation: Solar Roof
Confirmation: Mitch

My impression is that at least they are very well organized. Of course it's impossible to know what "soon" means.

If you want one, or might possibly want one, I'd make sure you are on the list. I had already signed up the via the web, and had not received a notification.

Last edited:
Nice -- great data. I see the residential solar is coming in at 2.5x or so that of utility-scale again and not much below NG peaker plants. I'm still looking for a good reason why residential solar has much future.
Quoted wrong post, should have been neroden Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016
Great info. I created a thread in the Tesla energy folder for this topic. I'm sure this will stay in the catch all, but would be interested in tracking TE potential and progress.

Where is PowerWall and Pack cost effective today

Last edited:
I enquired about solar, I wanted to know how suitable our roof is, a moving band of shade due to one tall narrow tree on the south east side of our house. I asked the woman I talked to if the Solar tiles would be suitable, since if I understand it correctly our situation will work better with micro inverters.

She said she didn't know anything about that system yet, asked if and when we need a new Roof. I said we do, and it depends on how long we decide to stretch our current Roof. She said that she would put us on a waiting list.
What address did you contact to get to this woman? I may simply not have the right contact information.

I tried the "notify me when the solar roof is available" through Tesla. I tried it through SolarCity, who says "We do not operate in your area" (even though I am in a state they operate in). I'd gotten an email about the Powerwall and I emailed that address back explaining that I wanted to install the Powerwall and Solar Roof at the same time, ASAP, and when would this be possible.

My impression is that they are very poorly organized. But that's par for the course for Tesla.

I invite you to be the first Bolt driver to attempt the 212.8 mile drive from Gilroy to Bakersfield on I-5, which includes the 1500' climb over the Grapevine. After your tow and 1 1/2 hours to refill the battery you can take I-99 on the way back. And regardless of what Google Maps says, I-5 is at least an hour quicker because the traffic moves at 80 mph, unless your are drafting semis at 55mph trying to preserve range.

On my first Model S road trip in Jan 2013 I over-trusted the rated mileage and after drafting semis the last 30 miles and praying there weren't any more grades to climb I pulled into the lone charger at Harris Ranch with exactly 1 mile of range left. Never made that mistake again,

Um Gilroy and Bakersfield are well north of the Grapevine which is just south of the Tejon Ranch charger. So I can't figure out at all what your map looks like but it must be different from mine.

Or, is there some other area also called "the Grapevine"? Like the 152 from 101 to I-5 that passes by the big reservoir?

Reactions: mmd
What address did you contact to get to this woman? I may simply not have the right contact information.
I used a link on electrek, something like use the following to get information about Solar in your area. Someone called and said that she would have local installers call me and the next morning I got the call from SCTY.

I tried the "notify me when the solar roof is available" through Tesla.
I used that too. I assumed that when it's ready that they will let me know. It feels better to have a confirmation email though.

I tried the "notify me when the solar roof is available" through Tesla. I tried it through SolarCity, who says "We do not operate in your area" (even though I am in a state they operate in). I'd gotten an email about the Powerwall and I emailed that address back explaining that I wanted to install the Powerwall and Solar Roof at the same time, ASAP, and when would this be possible.

My impression is that they are very poorly organized. But that's par for the course for Tesla.
i used this address directly
[email protected]
i explained my residence is in Lee County, Cape Coral, Florida, USA, 33990
(Outside of the Duke power area/Orlando Florida area, presently where installations are going, but expanding outside that area)
I got put on a waiting list, indicating i am interested in both PowerWall and PV array at same time

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Is this update required for Tesla to book the money received for the AP software (working seven days a week)?:
Tesla is ‘getting close’ to releasing v8.1 software update, team working seven days a week says Elon Musk

<Snip>
Three weeks has passed and Musk reassured Tesla owners last night that they are “getting close” and that Tesla’s software team is working seven days a week to get the update out.
<Snip>
v8.1 of Tesla operating system is expected to include several important updates, including a long anticipated update to Tesla’s in-car browser – enabled through an upgrade of the core Linux OS to 4.4, which in turn is expected around the same time as v8.1.

More importantly for owners with the new generation of Autopilot hardware, v8.1 is expected to bring back all the Autopilot functionalities that are available in the first generation of Autopilot, but not yet adapted to the new hardware.
<Snip>
I believe so. With this update live, they should be able to recognize most if not all or more of the $5000 value of AP2.0

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
I ended up picking up a tesla yesterday. Well, pre ordered for march delivery.

A few comments:
1) I had pre-ordered a model 3 (actually while standing in line on 3/31 - I bought my first tesla shares). Was going to cancel my reservation since I'm buying a MS but think I'll keep it so I can potentially give my spot in line or assign it to someone else (given that I was one of the first to order coupled with my new status as an owner - think I might be part of first group of folks who can get one)

2) whole process was a breeze - took 10 minutes. Total game changing experience compared to the usual boiler room car dealership model

3) while I was there - saw several folks ordering model X's - with the snow in chicago - these are very popular

4) if you see a big pop tomorrow - it's probably because I'll be buying a few more shares!!!

Game changer.

Um Gilroy and Bakersfield are well north of the Grapevine which is just south of the Tejon Ranch charger. So I can't figure out at all what your map looks like but it must be different from mine.

Or, is there some other area also called "the Grapevine"? Like the 152 from 101 to I-5 that passes by the big reservoir?
My bad! Thanks for pointing that out. However my challenge still stands. I question the ability of a BEV with an EPA rating of 238 miles and a drag coefficient worse than a Model S to make it 215 miles on I5 without driving considerably slower than the speed limit and the traffic flow.

1) I had pre-ordered a model 3 (actually while standing in line on 3/31 - I bought my first tesla shares). Was going to cancel my reservation since I'm buying a MS but think I'll keep it so I can potentially give my spot in line or assign it to someone else (given that I was one of the first to order coupled with my new status as an owner - think I might be part of first group of folks who can get one).

Sorry but Tesla specified that whatever name is on the M3 reservation is the name that must be on the registration when the car is delivered. So no ability to give/sell your spot to someone else.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
My bad! Thanks for pointing that out. However my challenge still stands. I question the ability of a BEV with an EPA rating of 238 miles and a drag coefficient worse than a Model S to make it 215 miles on I5 without driving considerably slower than the speed limit and the traffic flow.
Exactly. A Bolt has a 238 mi range - based on the EPA's metrics. The route they took the press on with them only included brief highway sections, and just barely squeaked in around the 235mi mark. There is no way a vehicle with the Cd of a Bolt is going to be able to come anywhere close to 238mi at 80mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.