Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indoors. You can bet on it. Tesla has become extremely disciplined when it comes to information leaks. Way more so than any other company I've followed. (This is a fairly recent change but it was quite evident in the leadup to Model X and to the Model S facelift.) We've seen a couple, and I'll make a wild guess that they were in transit from one indoor test location to another.

That would be silly. So far as I know, we've only ever seen the 3 alphas we saw on stage in March out and about in public.

The red one seems to be some sort of wind-tunnel test article, and is not functional. Has no powertrain or interior and does not have the real body structure. Last known location: outside gigafactory, during the gigafactory grand opening.

The matte black and silver ones are functional prototypes, and gave test rides during the unveil, and have been seen intermittently on California roads, at Tesla facilities and during a few Tesla events (like the solar roof reveal, family and friends day, etc).

I believe it is on purpose that these three are the only ones we've seen. It is fairly easy to move cars from one facility to another unseen, with enclosed trailers.

I suspect we won't see any other model 3s on public roads until after either the January gigafactory event, or model 3 part 3 unveil (assuming those are different events)

GM versus Tesla: Pre-Production Comparison for Meeting Model 3 Deliveries At 2017's End - Inside EVs

Good article related to discussions here about model 3 production timelines.

Really good, with references for all the data they use :). My comments on the "why they will/won´t make it section" at the end:

Reasons they will make it:
  • Timeline is tough but not out of line with what GM did on the Bolt EV
  • Supplier deadline is 6 months prior to 1st delivery, in line with GM practices
Reasons they won’t make it:
  • Tesla consistently misses their delivery dates -
    OTOH: Model S was their first mass prod. car, X had especially tough tech challenges, M3 designed for manufacturing (but I guess still harder than Bolt)

• Suppliers could be late delivering parts
    That´s true for any production start, not specific to M3 or Tesla. Might still be an issue, less so than with previous Tesla cars because of better supplier relationships by now

• GM and Tesla’s Model S had visibly more cars testing than Model 3. In the case of the Bolt EV we had sightings and articles describing a test fleet of 55 vehicles a full 1.5 years from production start. In Model S case we had articles written and test vehicles sighted a full 1.75 years prior to production start. Here we are 1 year away from production start for model 3 and how many reported sightings of test fleet have we seen? Close to zero.
    That´s the interesting point. One idea I have seen around here is M3 inside MS body-wouldn´t that be hard to fit with different size? Also you´d want to test the whole assembly. Other thing might be testing where noone can see it (indoor/far away places). Other ideas? What do other manufacturers do?

Sorry, a bit OT.

Any service center anecdotes from the weekend? Delivery numbers, if hit, imply cash flow positive and possibly gaap profit. Risk being big end of quarter rush and hold up if 5 seat model X, which seemed to have been resolved last few weeks. Model X production seems around 13,000 based on vins, but deliveries is unknowable.

Really good, with references for all the data they use :). My comments on the "why they will/won´t make it section" at the end:

Sorry, a bit OT.
The way I see it: other manufacturers haven't previously had the luxury of being able to do long term testing of their vehicles fully indoors because of the health concerns of the employees working in such a facility. GM could have done it with the Bolt (and likewise Nissan with LEAF, Mitsubishi with i-Miev, etc) but they're all traditional automakers stuck in a legacy mindset so it may not have even occurred to them to bother trying to keep them under wraps like that. They're so used to needing to test outdoors where spy shots are possible that they just accept it as part of the equation. Additionally: the others haven't had the autonomous driving and charging tech to be able to just set up a warehouse with a fleet of cars and superchargers and let it go for a month and see what happens.

SP action is getting interesting: looks like maybe the shorts are running out of ammo? @vgrinshpun? Certainly appears their pressure is losing the battle to the buying pressure for the time being.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
TSLA is in an uptrend following a channel in between the 5 day SMA and the upper Bollinger. It is currently working on getting past the 100 day SMA.
upload_2016-12-19_10-58-43.png

The way I see it: other manufacturers haven't previously had the luxury of being able to do long term testing of their vehicles fully indoors because of the health concerns of the employees working in such a facility. GM could have done it with the Bolt (and likewise Nissan with LEAF, Mitsubishi with i-Miev, etc) but they're all traditional automakers stuck in a legacy mindset so it may not have even occurred to them to bother trying to keep them under wraps like that. They're so used to needing to test outdoors where spy shots are possible that they just accept it as part of the equation. Additionally: the others haven't had the autonomous driving and charging tech to be able to just set up a warehouse with a fleet of cars and superchargers and let it go for a month and see what happens.

SP action is getting interesting: looks like maybe the shorts are running out of ammo? @vgrinshpun? Certainly appears their pressure is losing the battle to the buying pressure for the time being.

Actually, at least at Fidelity, after active pre-market, borrowing is benign. It looks like there was a push in first half hour after open which essentially failed. There are shares available for shorting at Fidelity, just not enough takers. SP is about to break 100 day SMA which currently sits at $203.42

Snap1.png

Actually, at least at Fidelity, after active pre-market, borrowing is benign. It looks like there was a push in first half hour after open which essentially failed. There are shares available for shorting at Fidelity, just not enough takers. SP is about to break 100 day SMA which currently sits at $203.42

View attachment 206571
Interesting.

SP is indeed currently flirting with the 100 day SMA. Once we punch through it solidly I imagine the technical traders and the momentum traders start driving the ship. Next stop the 200day SMA at around 214?

Many of you have mentioned that Tesla is testing the model 3 indoors, presumably to maintain secrecy...

My question is what would they be keeping secret?

With the design already revealed earlier this year, wouldn't it be in their best interests to show the car being tested? That would give the market greater confidence in their timeline and could increase the stock price making a cap raise more feasible...

Or do you think such information is being held back to engineer a short squeeze via a burst of positive developments at a later time?

I cannot believe I am excited to see tesla at 204. Us bulls have been so repressed !

Noted: thoughts on short interest carried into new year? Will soft shorts bail before delivery numbers are revealed on day one of 2017 trading.

I'd watch the www.shortanalytics.com numbers to see if the percentage of trading done by shorts increases. We were around 36-38% trading by shorts last week, which is a low number. Normally, you'd expect it around 40% on an up day for TSLA (down days can be 50-60% shorts). If we see the percentage of short trading on up days in the 50% or higher range, I'd say that shows net covering. Because the shorts have been so firm on holding so far, we might have to climb above the 200 day ma before reasonable numbers start heading for the exits. I expect the shorts to defend the 200 day aggressively, just as they did in the 3Q delivery numbers and 3Q ER. The big difference this time is that we don't have the uncertainty of an election and the SCTY merger vote hanging over TSLA's head. The quarter's results cannot be rationalized as a one-hit-wonder if Q4 results are good again. We may very well cross the 200 dma this time around.

Last edited:
Interesting.

SP is indeed currently flirting with the 100 day SMA. Once we punch through it solidly I imagine the technical traders and the momentum traders start driving the ship. Next stop the 200day SMA at around 214?
How does recent tsla chart and moving average action compare with recent history of googl, aapl, fb, and nflx? They all had jumps and retractions, with relative ease. TSLA appears mired for some reason, despite great financial numbers, less debt, and projections. It was some time before netflix started making its own shows-requires alot of capital and risk tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.