Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. When it comes to investing my $, whether in TSLA, FB, APPL,...etc., I want as much info as possible to make the best decision possible.

I totally and completely agree. For me, the question for TSLA has always been timing of execution, not even execution-- they get it done it just depends on when and how. Often times the street misses the why.

- - - Updated - - -

That's one angry short. Yes I couldn't help to read it.

Love how he compared sensors between the MB (23) vs. Tesla (14). What he fails to mention is that with MB, what you get is what you get. Once you drive it home, it's yesterday's technology, whereas Tesla will continue to improve. I do not see any legacy automaker changing to Tesla's OTA update system. Yes you can argue I am a drinker of the Kool-aid (and for those youngsters out there, google: Jim Jones), but after having a 10+ history of driving and owning BMWs, I do not plan on going back. They're not bad, just Tesla is better.

That short, I believe is Mark Spiegel same language used all around. At least he's consistent LOL

You can take that argument and point him to the car and driver autonomous systems comparison and say something to the affect of... So Tesla took the crown for best system, with LESS sensors? That's efficiency lol

As far as establishing superiority based on quantity of parts, another example of how dubious this criteria is that MS propulsion system has two or three order of magnitudes fewer parts vs. the MB's, while functionally being much more sofisticated...

I bought more shares as TSLA fell from 250, but I stopped around 200, losing my courage. I got in at $29, so I'm not in the red, but wish I had bought more at 150.

Curious on thoughts now, if we think this is a good buy on the dip opportunity before X deliveries pick up and Model 3 reveal. Seems like X production is continuing around 250 a week, with cars parked in Freemont and in quality control queue at service centers.

Also, is it paranoid to even think that Citron could have stirred things up with the unions at the GF?

As far as establishing superiority based on quantity of parts, another example of how dubious this criteria is that MS propulsion system has two or three order of magnitudes fewer parts vs. the MB's, while functionally being much more sofisticated...

I bought more shares as TSLA fell from 250, but I stopped around 200, losing my courage. I got in at $29, so I'm not in the red, but wish I had bought more at 150.

Curious on thoughts now, if we think this is a good buy on the dip opportunity before X deliveries pick up and Model 3 reveal. Seems like X production is continuing around 250 a week, with cars parked in Freemont and in quality control queue at service centers.

Also, is it paranoid to even think that Citron could have stirred things up with the unions at the GF?

Yes it's incredibly paranoid to think so. Keep in mind Gigafactory was ahead of schedule and these are only a portion of workers from the construction contractor so if anything this is just a hiccup in the rate of expansion for an already larger than planned plant. It's just a union issue, eventually the money will talk and they'll realize they can't just NOT work, especially in an area where employment isn't exactly stellar.

It's not a few weeks. It's 30 days away plus a few more weeks to pile up reservations for Model 3

I'd agree with you if only a few weeks

I can understand that call option buyers in this short term thread might be impatient due to the time erosion of option premiums. Investors should accept that Elon has a long term outlook for Tesla Motors. So do I despite my age of 70. I bought all of my Tesla shares over three years ago at under $38 each. Eventually I'll sell some, but that likely won't be until after the Model 3 is being delivered to consumers. Meanwhile, dips in the share price not due to news about the company, but from FUD being spread by short sellers, creates marvelous share buying opportunities. I emphasize the ownership of actual shares of stock. An investor can sleep better at night with actual shares rather than exchange traded options. Such a strategy is also more likely to be profitable. Perhaps hugely so, but it requires some patience.

I can understand that call option buyers in this short term thread might be impatient due to the time erosion of option premiums. Investors should accept that Elon has a long term outlook for Tesla Motors. So do I despite my age of 70. I bought all of my Tesla shares over three years ago at under $38 each. Eventually I'll sell some, but that likely won't be until after the Model 3 is being delivered to consumers. Meanwhile, dips in the share price not due to news about the company, but from FUD being spread by short sellers, creates marvelous share buying opportunities. I emphasize the ownership of actual shares of stock. An investor can sleep better at night with actual shares rather than exchange traded options. Such a strategy is also more likely to be profitable. Perhaps hugely so, but it requires some patience.

Thanks Curt.

My main concern was a sell-off in TSLA resulting in only getting back to $200 after the reveal. Looks like citron is only causing a small drop so your initial call for patience seems prudent.

I too starting buying at $35 and avg cost basis of $55. I don't hold any options.

I totally and completely agree. For me, the question for TSLA has always been timing of execution, not even execution-- they get it done it just depends on when and how. Often times the street misses the why.

- - - Updated - - -

That short, I believe is Mark Spiegel same language used all around. At least he's consistent LOL
This Spiegel guy seems to have dedicated his ENTIRE life around Tesla going down. What a sad existence.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Curt.

My main concern was a sell-off in TSLA resulting in only getting back to $200 after the reveal. Looks like citron is only causing a small drop so your initial call for patience seems prudent.

I too starting buying at $35 and avg cost basis of $55. I don't hold any options.
Try watching this thing with an average cost of $249 and it's harder to watch shorts rip at your position.

Citron Andy Left on power lunch today. CNBC

That's planned for the Noon EST hour today. Any further dip created by that could present a nice buying opportunity.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't Citron squeezed the last time they tried to short it?

Indeed, Andrew Left of Citron Research first recommended shorting TSLA in July 2013. Big mistake. He appears to employ the fundamental valuation metrics taught in college. Those may help when utilized appropriately, but fail when applied to an innovative company investing its revenues in exponential growth to successfully disrupt long established capital intensive industries.

Wasn't Citron squeezed the last time they tried to short it?

The last time was 7/2/15 at 280. It was the time before that in the 100s that they got wrong. Overall they have a very good track record and now with VRX the market is giving them more and more credibility. Of course this does not mean they are right about TSLA, past performance is no guarantee of future results and such. I wouldn't simply brush them aside either though, obviously do your own DD but I'd be open to hearing what they have to say coming up.

Citron had a fabulous 2015 indeed, shorting TSLA around 280, VRX around 200 and MBLY around 50. People gotta give credits to these. That being said, with short interest this high recently, I doubt they could initiated a new short position on TSLA for the tweet yesterday. More likely to use media to lower the price temporarily to cover at a lower price.

The last time was 7/2/15 at 280. It was the time before that in the 100s that they got wrong. Overall they have a very good track record and now with VRX the market is giving them more and more credibility. Of course this does not mean they are right about TSLA, past performance is no guarantee of future results and such. I wouldn't simply brush them aside either though, obviously do your own DD but I'd be open to hearing what they have to say coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.