Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My lessons for this morning:

a. Never day-trade amounts exceeding overnight buying power, because if I do go into day-trade buying power only territory, that puts me in fear of a day trade call at the end of the day and I don't look at the long term viability of my position, and my stop-losses are too lossy. As proof positive, my anxiousness when in day-trade only mode is at an all-time high, whereas when I'm in overnight marginable amounts, I'm very calm and relaxed (more like my normal self). It helps that I think the stock will go up in the long.

b. Don't do day trades in amounts that other traders will notice as unique amounts, whether in the first digits or the last digits. Stick to what I see in the Times and Sales listing (ThinkOrSwim desktop application), such as 100, 200, 400, 1000 if it seems sensible to everyone but those are all increasingly recognizable themselves.

Tesla Model 3: Exclusive leaked specs 0-60 under 4 sec fast and 300+ mile range options

The biggest news: According to a source who has seen the design that will be shown off tomorrow, it looks like a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S. It is a bit taller sedan with a unique front that looks more like a Model X than a Model S. The car is shorter and narrower than either the model X or S but is described as “sexy and sporty”. The person who saw it said that they didn’t like the look of the X initially and only came around to liking it when the Falcon Wing doors were exhibited. This person instantly fell in love with the design of the Model 3, however, saying “It seems so right”.

One of the standout specs Tesla will tout is that it will be able to travel from 0-60 in under 4 seconds. We weren’t told if this is for the base model or a more premium edition with bigger battery and AWD.

Speaking of higher end, the price tag on the high end version of the Model 3 grows significantly to almost base Model S territory with estimates in the $50-$60K range. What do you get for that money? Besides autonomous driving on the level of the Model S and X, Tesla will also offer the aforementioned AWD option. In addition, a battery pack that were estimating in the ~80kWh range will take the Model 3 to over 300 miles in range.

Thanks Curt...

on that, I just want to add that EM's tweet also carries a tacit message:

"Don't be discouraged from getting in line at Tesla stores all over the world, we will be increasing production so you will still be able to receive your M3 within a reasonable time, even if you are not first in line when the doors open."

All good in my opinion, to juice up reservations numbers, and the spectacle of longer lines.

All in all, the price move today so far is very ugly! No one seems to take 3 release as something positive as credit suisse does.

Yeah, that's a concern. Now when they have the line pumping out S and X you don't want to lessen demand for those with a "too good" Model 3. After all it will take a while before Model 3 reaches the same levels.

The more optimistic way to look at it is that whatever amount of true Osbourning that occurs (i.e. people who would have bought an S or X hold off their purchase and wait for Model 3) will be counteracted and likely surpassed by the number of people who's eyes are opened to Tesla as a car maker and the possibility of owning a BEV, "lured in" if you will by the Model 3, that end up getting and S or X due to featrues, roominess or (most importantly) the fact that you can get an S or X in 2016 or 2017. As long as they sell every S and X they can build until 2018 Bob's your uncle.

Tesla issued a statement striking down the blatant desinformation spreading from Seeking Alpha character Montana Skeptic, that was picked up in the media.

Tesla stated that the factory always was planned in phases and the first phase is ahead of schedule both in construction and production.
Anyone who takes investing advice from a blog, written by an anonymous entity who makes claims without any factual basis, deserves whatever becomes of their foolishness.

Yeah, that's a concern. Now when they have the line pumping out S and X you don't want to lessen demand for those with a "too good" Model 3. After all it will take a while before Model 3 reaches the same levels.

“One of Job's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself. " If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will," he said. So even though an iPhone might cannibalize sales of an iPod, or an iPad might cannibalize sales of a laptop, that did not deter him.”

― Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs

“One of Job's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself. " If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will," he said. So even though an iPhone might cannibalize sales of an iPod, or an iPad might cannibalize sales of a laptop, that did not deter him.”

― Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs

You said what I just said, in far fewer words. Scroll through the rest of this message if you don't need that point driven home.

If those high end specs {for the Model 3} are for real, then Tesla will need to get to work to keep the model X and especially S an attractive proposition.

True, but why would they care (need to do this) in a timeline that avoids a dip in S and X sales? Besides the fact that many people who would prefer to buy Model 3 today who are already buying S/X instead would stop doing so, there's also a group who could afford S/X who wouldn't see the increased value and the 3 would cannibalize those as well. The first group is a win -- they are happier at that price point. The second group is a semi-loss, but I say so what? If S and X sales stop for a while, then everyone can focus together on making the Model 3 a good car for inexpensive amounts, and then Tesla will learn what differentiates the higher end models through one-on-one discussions with them about how they wish the Model 3 had this or that ("this type of chair" or "this type of legroom"), sort out what it is they want most, and then go to the drawing board on updates for S and X. We already know that Model 3 is coming out next, and no real huge time will be spent on new S and X models until after the 3 has been working out pretty well, then they'll get back to S and X. For the plan to go forward, I expect that Tesla expects that S and X will essentially stop selling except in small numbers for a while. A skeleton team can start putting out feelers to engineers and suppliers that looks at the various quality increases. Imagine this:

* Interior room: need more or not?
* Leg room?
* Head room?
* Shoulder room?
* Cargo room?
* Front grill elimination?
* Middle row folding seats?
* Cargo cage?
* Towing? Need more or not?
* Additional colors?
* Software to charge during low cost times using utility time-of-market integration?
* Software that also limits charging to when solar power is available?
* Smoother ride?
* Quieter ride?
* Most aerodynamic (smallest?) legal mirrors possible with camera side and rear view as primary rear/side viewing?
etc. etc.

For each item they come up with, and they must have a list a mile long by now, they can put a few factors in:

1. What is the engineering, design, development, testing cost?
2. What is the material cost to build?
3. What is the tooling cost to build?
4. What is the maintenance cost?
5. What is the education cost?
6. What is the sales cost?
7. What value do buyers put to this feature?
8. What income could we make off this feature?
9. How many people would not get the car if it had this feature because of cost, complication?
10. How many people would get this car if it had this feature because of cost, complication?

Let me use an example. Mercedes S class currently has an active suspension product called Magic Body Control available on its top-end cars, but you have to special-order it because it is very unpopular. Why? Because, it is prone to breaking down, and the "perceived value" to buyers is so low that it doesn't garner the $5K extra cost wealthy buyers could pay for. Why get a feature that I don't know the value of that just causes me to have to go into the shop all the time to have it fixed, and will cost $30K in repairs over the life of the car? Now, I can crow about how anybody who can afford $35K per car on this feature who might ever have a bad back will have to weigh the difference between back pain and $35K expenditure, fact is, most people would rather spend a few days in bed and a few doctor visits and gamble with a debilitating problem later in life than to spend $35K on something, and that's only the long distance drivers. Most people aren't even long distance drivers, so the cumulative effect of bumpy rides isn't that severe, even if they do have the money. So, close to no one buys that feature, and Mercedes doesn't even include it standard on dealership inventory models (except for specialty cars like the Maybach and about a third of the S65's (i.e., double price cars where they expect every bell and whistle because they can burn money)). Tesla is going to do the same thing. They will leave out a lot of the features that are too expensive, too unreliable, too pricey, etc., and go for the features that sell the most.

If massage chairs don't produce enough profit, don't engineer them. If massage chairs do produce enough profit, engineer them. (Both S and X, and not 3.)
If more legroom doesn't produce enough profit, don't design for that. If more legroom does produce enough profit, design for that. (I'm thinking Model X middle and rear rows, and the 3 -- poor people frequently come in big bodies.)
If more cargo room doesn't increase profitability the way we want it to, then don't sacrifice other features and costs to get there.
If almost no one needs towing, then forget about increasing that ability.
If additional colors would increase sales, then find the colors that would make these models look nice and offer those.
If quieter ride would give this car the differentiation that would make a lot more people buy it, then put in the engineering necessary to fasten panels down better, more sound insulation, isolation, etc. etc.. It would cost more, but if that's what would make people feel like it's better, then sell it that way. If the people who have good ears or care about noise wouldn't be enough to increase sales after the cost increase, then don't worry about it.

Here's one that might catch some people's attention: what about installing micromotors on all panel joints that every time you park would re-align every panel and exterior fixture to have perfect alignment, so it always looks nicely fit? They could have tiny little step motors geared to hold every panel just so. They would have to be structurally engineered, perhaps little highly threaded screws attached to reduction gears. How many connection points do these panels have? What membranes would need to be used to seal between moving panels that can move that much? How much room would these microadjusters take? How much would they cost? Let's say it increases the total weight by 100# and the total cost by $5,000: is that worth it to have perfectly aligned panels on your $100,000 model S or X? Tesla can ask, and if they like, answer, this question, and decide whether it's worth installing this feature on their cars.

What of carbon fiber battery packs, carbon fiber bodies? What of see-through pilars? Pilars that have curved display screens on every pillar so you can "see" through them because they transmit a proper image from the driver's view point of what is behind them from cameras mounted around the car?

How much would it cost to turn every chair into a swivel chair so you can turn it into a meeting room? Would someone who can afford a $180,000 car want to behave like trailer trash and do a meeting in a stuffy tiny little tin box where the cops could come shoot you up for "hanging out" on the street (albeit in your car), when you clearly have enough money to afford mansions and palacial offices? No, they are not going to offer swivel chairs, today. But, when Hotz, Google, Mobile Eye, Apple and Ford all partner with Tesla to finally do autonomous driving, then yes, swivel chairs all of a sudden make more sense, and the question and cost-sales comparisons can be asked again. And again.

All of this can be done AFTER Model 3 completely cannibalizes Model S and Model X sales, and then a new set of Model S and Model X can be made, that is much better, and will garner the limited market share for upscale vehicles. So, Tesla can still sell their 20,000/year - 120,000/year premium vehicles while targeting half a million/year to a million/year of the mainstays (the Model 3, pickups, minivansuvcuvwagons, trucks, etc.).

Last edited:
Don't worry about the slight pull back this morning. TSLA is just tracking with oil. Take a look at USO. There was lots of optimism for oil this morning, then it fizzled out. Oil is trading on sentiment. So watch out for a reversal in oil.

A lot of positive news and a little negative news is coming out, and the stock is going down overall for the day and morning.

In the past I have made big trader errors getting reveals mixed up with what shareholders care about. This could be the exception but I'm not holding my breath for big share price moves over the reveal. I do have short term positions again (the first in a very long time) but they are structured to capture the delivery announcement. Which I feel will have more impact on the share price than the reveal.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
The more optimistic way to look at it is that whatever amount of true Osbourning that occurs (i.e. people who would have bought an S or X hold off their purchase and wait for Model 3) will be counteracted and likely surpassed by the number of people who's eyes are opened to Tesla as a car maker and the possibility of owning a BEV, "lured in" if you will by the Model 3, that end up getting and S or X due to featrues, roominess or (most importantly) the fact that you can get an S or X in 2016 or 2017. As long as they sell every S and X they can build until 2018 Bob's your uncle.

Absolutely, and I think the "interest conversion" to S and X will happen.

But so far it seems they are under-pricing Model 3 a fair amount, especially since they are so production constrained. Lets's say they increased the price with 5k. That would be $5B for 1 million cars.

I think this goes into the acceleration of sustainable transport as being the primary objective, essentially trading revenue for killing more ICE cars.

Sorry but that is a great fact and data based article and the first I have ever seen that independently arrives at the correct conclusion:

'If we’re looking for the possible derailment of Tesla – we can stop looking at existing auto manufactures and start looking at the best technology companies in the world.'

Then the article goes on to promote research that concludes that the Internet of Things is a multi $trillon growth market opportunity.

Well speaking of the Internet of Things guess what Tesla's Internet connected cars are - (autonomy + EV is the primary Internet of things killer app and it is actually a subset of genuinely powerful robotics). For those that can cope with the future without puking - SpaceX resusability leading into the economically viable launch of the SpaceX global contiguous LEO satellite broadband internet network is the ultimate OTA network for an Internet of Things if this nature - and there is NOTHING to stop a robotic car having robotic OTA networked passengers to complete loading and unloading tasks or even far more complex tasks than that.

But so far it seems they are under-pricing Model 3 a fair amount, especially since they are so production constrained. Lets's say they increased the price with 5k. That would be $5B for 1 million cars.

By the time they build 1 million Model 3, it won't be underpriced. Indeed, I would expect a healthy gross margin within the first 100,000 built. So the key question is how fast can they cut manufacturing costs on the Model 3. They are pricing it to be profitable once a certain level of manufacturing efficiency is achieved.

Tesla Model 3: Exclusive leaked specs 0-60 under 4 sec fast and 300+ mile range options

The biggest news: According to a source who has seen the design that will be shown off tomorrow, it looks like a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S. It is a bit taller sedan with a unique front that looks more like a Model X than a Model S. The car is shorter and narrower than either the model X or S but is described as “sexy and sporty”. The person who saw it said that they didn’t like the look of the X initially and only came around to liking it when the Falcon Wing doors were exhibited. This person instantly fell in love with the design of the Model 3, however, saying “It seems so right”.

One of the standout specs Tesla will tout is that it will be able to travel from 0-60 in under 4 seconds. We weren’t told if this is for the base model or a more premium edition with bigger battery and AWD.

Speaking of higher end, the price tag on the high end version of the Model 3 grows significantly to almost base Model S territory with estimates in the $50-$60K range. What do you get for that money? Besides autonomous driving on the level of the Model S and X, Tesla will also offer the aforementioned AWD option. In addition, a battery pack that were estimating in the ~80kWh range will take the Model 3 to over 300 miles in range.

Supporting this, I also received second-hand info from an employee who saw a picture that the front of the 3 is similar to an X and it is not a weirdmobile.

If those high end specs are for real, then Tesla will need to get to work to keep the model X and especially S an attractive proposition.

When I see comments like this it reminds me that a large portion of people with Tesla interest are not traditional "car guys" which is great - make the tent bigger! But I am a car guy (coming from BMW, M3s in particular) so let me tell you that this is not a concern. The smaller model often outperforms the larger, more expensive model and the larger model continues to sell well. Why buy an M5 when the M3 provides better performance for less money? People have preferences - some want the larger car, some greatly prefer the smaller car, even if it's more expensive than the larger more luxurious version. There will be cannibalization at the margins (e.g., someone who really wanted a smaller car and was prepared to get an S because that's all that available currently might wait on the 3) but it will not be significant. Once both models are there and available there will be plenty of buyers for both. Here's a map:

M5 --> PxxxD Model S
535/550-7 series --> xxxD Model S

M3 --> PxxD Model 3
All non-M3 3-series variants --> xxD Model 3

X5M/X6M --> PxxxD Model X
X5/X6 --> xxxD Model X
X1/X3/X4 --> xxD Model Y

"Company reports" is referring to data pulled by other companies... as in, this isn't Tesla's data. This way they aren't saying that the numbers are 100% accurate, but they are also not saying they are false.

Interestingly this chart is RobStark's:

2015 Sales: Model S vs Large Luxury Cars

It was then published around the internet, for example, see this article:

#1 Large Luxury Car In US = Tesla Model S (2015 Sales Comparison)

Jan 13th is the date on Rob's post and, unless I missed something, Tesla only had given Q4 numbers at that point, not NA specifically. Yes, you can make a really great guess at what the NA numbers are thanks to the efforts of people pulling together data from Europe and such, but it is still a guess as places like Hong Kong, China, and the UK are all estimated numbers (especially at the point which this chart would have been published).

So yeah, RobStark is now famous! As his chart got published in the ER letter (among other places). I hope he got some kickbacks for that :D
I'm talking about the accuracy of the numbers for other automakers' models are from automakers themselves. And they were from the other automakers themselves, WSJ, and autonews if you trace the data source all the way back. Those should be quite accurate right?

Status
Not open for further replies.