Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk on Twitter

"Online ordering at Tesla.com will now open at 7:30pm Pacific to ensure no server overload. Presentation still at 8:30."

The guy who built PayPal is worried about server loads?? This really means the demand/interest is way off the hook. Much beyond expectations.

I don't understand what shifting the orders to start before the livestream would do. Surely the livestream is not being hosted by Tesla's own servers and even if it was it would be silly to host it from the same servers as the order processing system.

I hope they simply think they can get over 100k reservations before the presentation starts and want to announce that tonight if they do.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I don't understand what shifting the orders to start before the livestream would do. Surely the livestream is not being hosted by Tesla's own servers and even if it was it would be silly to host it from the same servers as the order processing system.

I hope they think they can get over 100k before the presentation starts and want to announce that tonight if they do.

I think they are trying to squeeze in as many reservations as humanly possible before the Q1 deadline of 11:59PM :)

We will. Customers. Never forget the customer is king. No more customer interest, no more power for corporations.

Neither ICE nor Big Oil can fight a loss of customer interest - and this thing could really stick a fork in the the whole oil and ICE bubble - which has traded on abusive, cynical and frankly intellectually insulting consumer entrapment for decades contrary to the express will of an entire generation. This isn't about Tesla declaring war - Musk has repeatedly and publicly pleaded with both the Oil and ICE industries to invest in renewables and EVs. Anyone spot the aggression here - sure its there but can you spot it? Most I think will have no difficulty spotting the stupidity and arrogance of a lot of fat industry moguls and to hold their failure to listen culpable after tonight.

Today is the day of consumers finally seeing a realistic means of escape from a seriously horrible trap and the exodus is going to get pretty interesting - like biblical proportions interesting.

Yep...well said

The consumer has recognised the chance to escape for the first time ever from the clutches of the racketeers. It'll take a while, but they are voting with their money. Unbelievably powerful signal in that. The denial script has now been torn up.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I fear I may be in need of someone to talk me out of going all in on stock? This is greatly exceeding my expectations. Unprecedented doesn't begin to describe this.
I'll try to talk you out of it, but the fact is I have huge bullish bets on Tesla.

Hmm. How's this:
(a) never invest money you can't afford to lose... don't wanna risk your rent
(b) if you might have to sell the stock in the next few years to raise money, don't invest. If you think the company will do great when Model 3 is released, you have to be able to hold the stock long enough to get to that point -- it could have several serious stock price dips before that happens, due to random sentiment and technical factors and manipulation, and you don't want to be forced to sell when you don't want to.

How did I do at talking you out of it? :) This is not investment advice, I am not your investment advisor.

I hope they simply think they can get over 100k reservations before the presentation starts and want to announce that tonight if they do.
That's true, they will post the number, it's going to be a big number. This is also to make sure nothing will interfere with the live stream. It doesn't make sense to open the online reservation at exact the same time as the event. It would be embarrassing if the live stream get interrupted due to server issues.

I was number 443 in Burlingame, CA (hit the line literally at its peak, but that's ok). Probably 150 behind me in line when I left at about 1:15 pm. Very nice mix of people -- and much younger crowd than average S/X customers (no surprise there). About 80-90% men, which I think will change dramatically, especially once a CUV version/Model Y comes out. Wouldn't surprise me if they get 1500 reservations from that one location by the end of the day.

This is also to make sure nothing will interfere with the live stream. It doesn't make sense to open the online reservation at exact the same time as the event. It would be embarrassing if the live stream get interrupted due to server issues.

As a web developer I would be shocked if there is really a chance that high traffic on the order page would affect the live stream. The live stream page should be served from a CDN and the stream itself hosted by some 3rd party service. This isn't advanced stuff and Tesla has been through this rodeo before. So I'm not buying that the reason for moving online deliveries forward is to avoid server issues.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
The silence on CNBC about the Model 3 launch is deafening. They are repeatedly showing Tim Cook paying a surprise visit to an Apple Store for the iPhone SE launch, though.

Way to miss the point, CNBC.

Didn't see any crowds lined up outside the Short Hills Apple store for the SE. But there was a steady line up through 1pm at the Tesla store. Since I am long both AAPL and TSLA I wish it was the same size lines at both.

As a web developer I would be shocked if there is really a chance that high traffic on the order page would affect the live stream. The live stream page should be served from a CDN and the stream itself hosted by some 3rd party service. This isn't advanced stuff and Tesla has been through this rodeo before. So I'm not buying that the reason for moving online deliveries forward is to avoid server issues.

Well, I don't think he meant issues with ordering interfering with streaming. I think all he means is by spreading out the ordering time a bit more the ordering itself will get spaced better.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler

I agree. My WAG on the reasoning for the time change is to allow two things: A steadier flow of orders..many people will not know about the change in time until the event has begun...and...most importantly, EM can come on stage and say: Well..we had over 'X' thousand of in store orders and IF the online ordering is also 'off the charts', he will be able to add that 'we opened the online ordering only an hour ago and it has resulted in over 'Y thousand of orders. If the number is not big he just won't mention it.

Well, I don't think he meant issues with ordering interfering with streaming. I think all he means is by spreading out the ordering time a bit more the ordering itself will get spaced better.

Exactly, plus it allows splits those who are willing to order sight unseen from those who are waiting for the reveal. So it lowers traffic both because spread out over more time, and because it splits up two distinct groups. Some couldn't or didn't want to take off work to line up today, but they are still willing to reserve prior to reveal.

I read that the MIII ordering server crashed today - don't know if this is verified or not, but this would help explain Elon's statement. Of course the order page and the live-stream are completely separate.

The silence on CNBC about the Model 3 launch is deafening. They are repeatedly showing Tim Cook paying a surprise visit to an Apple Store for the iPhone SE launch, though.

Way to miss the point, CNBC.

I was shocked to see absolutely NOTHING on BBC either. I mean this is quite a phenomena we've been seeing today, totally unique, I think, but very little main-stream reporting.

I was disappointed to see the stock drop down from 237, I assume there was some profit-taking going on?

Still, keeping hold of mine for a while yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.