Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Tesla's advantages in the autonomous driving field are by far the most overlooked aspect of their potential earning power.

However, it's not possible to have over 100% gross profit margin, even if the revenues are multiples of the cost of those goods. For example, if an iPhone costs Apple $80 to make and they sell it for $400, they will have an 80% gross margin, not 400%.

My vision is that Tesla builds autonomous cars that will last for 8-10 years providing ride sharing services without the enormous cost of drivers. So they can make a car in the $20k-30k range and reap millions of dollars in benefits from each vehicle they produce. This could be the most profit ale business model I've ever heard of.

Tesla's delay and issues with self park tell you all that you need to know about full autonomous driving. Tesla has a nice lead in driving assist functions by being the furthest along with mapping. That capability contributes nothing to the very challenging edge issues being addressed by companies like google.

The most likely progression over the next 10 years is Google and a few others attempting low speed Taxi betas, while Tesla and other slowly expand autopilot-like functionality. A breakthrough/quick progress will require robust AI that doesn't exist. If/when robust AI is accomplished, we certainly will not see it first in potentially lethal motor vehicle applications.

• Disagree
Reactions: Drax7
So I am feeling down that X ramp has been such a disappointment and Model 3 reservations count turned out to be a 'curse in disguise'. I honestly don't get what makes DaveT, Jessie and folks excited about model-3 reservations. Musk seems to have ruined a perfect opportunity to take the stock price to a new ATH, do a fund raise at much lower dilution, and show some pain to shorts as a small side effect. X ramp is a disappointment. But this deliberate poor play of cards (caused by model-3 reservations) is more disappointing.

I can understand the negative sentiment from some on this board. All I can do is share some of my perspective. I was fairly bearish on the Model X ramp and delays. I felt like it gave a bad precedence. Also, I don't think Elon was being completely transparent during the delays (ie., 2nd half of 2015). He made it seem like they had no significant issues, but in retrospect they did. This hurts credibility, along with guidance for X continuously being missed.

As a result, I didn't purchase any options or LEAPs during the entire 2015 or early 2016 due to my short-term neutral-bearish stance (but held 99%+ of my shares because of my long-term bull stance).

But as much as the Model X ramp bothered me (and I even ranted about the delays and communication mishaps on another post), in my perspective so much was riding on the Model 3 reveal and how many reservations they would take in. The Model 3 was better than expected (especially after getting a test ride myself) and reservation count was beyond my highest expectations. What this does is provides the ultimate evidence/proof that there is enough demand to fuel Model 3 growth. This, IMHO, is the most important issue, namely will people buy the Model 3 or not? And if so, how many? Now, with the early reservation count, that question seemed to have an answer (at least for now). And it's a resounding yes... with yearly demand probably being 500k-1M cars/year for just the Model 3. And they haven't even released the Model Y, yet.

So, now that Tesla has answered the most important question in their existence, the company's future is majorly de-risked.

Now, I know the stock price is down after the ER and people are saying how the increased targets increase execution risk, etc. But I don't think they increase risk much at all. In fact, ramping production only will solidify Tesla's position earlier and give them a greater competitive advantage. Yes, ramping production will take more capital but it's possible, and probably likely, that Tesla can do so in a very efficient manner. It looks like the impending capital raise will be to boost Fremont and GF #1 production. (Next raise next year might fund new factories.) So, yes they need to spend more money but I think it'll be reasonable. I think they'll likely try to raise around $2B very soon, perhaps half equity and half convertible debt (but I'm just guessing). With that money, they'll be fine ramping up production to volume production (ie., 100k Model 3s) in late 2017 and into 2018. They'll likely have to raise more money in summer/late 2017 to fund their 2019 production targets though.

Before the Model 3 reveal, I was hoping that Tesla would raise another round right after the reveal if the stock price was at $250 or higher. It's too bad that they didn't do that. But, whether Tesla raises $2B at $25B, $30B, or $35B market cap, I'm not really too concerned since the bigger question (of Model 3 demand has been answered). I also personally didn't buy into the theories that Elon was trying to orchestrate a short squeeze before raising funds. I think Elon is way too busy doing other things than to spend time figuring out how to squeeze shorts. And I wouldn't want him to be wasting time on that anyway. His time should be going into making awesome products and leading his companies to make awesome products.

Sure, I wish Elon and his team would have handled this ER differently. Ie., Don't share the stretch goals or internal targets, be more specific on capital needs, raise the money together with announcing production plan increase, etc. But it all doesn't bother me much. As a long-term investor, I'm just happy that people are going to be buying Model 3 cars like crazy. I'm happy that production is increasing so that more people don't have to wait for years and as a result more people can buy the car. All this means more revenue, and more growth. As a short-term hobby trader, I'm fine the stock is down after ER because it provides me a trading opportunity as I think the post-ER reaction is an over-reaction and the stock will bounce.

Overall, Tesla is doing great. I can't wait to see the Model 3 next year. Tesla will raise the money they need. And I have no major complaints.

Last edited:
It's all about your time horizon. If you are like Julian and had an attractive plan for this year, then you are disappointed. If you are primarily in shares and patiently waiting for TSLA to hit $500, then you are probably happy with the change.

Papafox. I AM primarily in shares and patiently waiting for TSLA to hit $500, always have been. If a fancy side bet comes up I trade it. If not I wait patiently.

In this way I am precisely as disappointed as going to the beach with a metal detector and not finding the gold chalice that particular day trip. I still own the entire metal detector in mint condition and got to enjoy the scenery. It's not like I traded it in for the chance of finding a gold chalice and the long term market for metal detectors is nothing to question.

Reactions: hydro and SBenson
It's all about your time horizon. If you are like Julian and had an attractive plan for this year, then you are disappointed. If you are primarily in shares and patiently waiting for TSLA to hit $500, then you are probably happy with the change.

I have a boat load of shares too. Much higher exposure in shares than in the 2017 leaps. Honestly, I'm disappointed even for my shares. Maybe this is somewhat theoretical, but my % ownership of the company (however minuscule it is) is looking to be getting diluted more than it could have been. Even if I didn't have any LEAPs at all, I would want to see proof of viability/profitability of the Business before moving on to the next big project, even before the current project shows results. So I'm not a big fan of all this rush. Show the money to the market, investors, believers and the skeptics periodically and prove it out if only for a quarter or two that the core business is insanely valuable than all the fud up in the air.

Reactions: maoing
So hold on, the street is worried that TM and EM can't make 100k-500k cars a year with robots, but can return a rocket booster, autonomously, to a drone ship in the ocean with implications of saving big $$$ for space transport...
Lots of companies make cars, even in volume, but no-one else has soft-landed a real orbital booster.

Reactions: Drax7
I have a boat load of shares too. Much higher exposure in shares than in the 2017 leaps. Honestly, I'm disappointed even for my shares. Maybe this is somewhat theoretical, but my % ownership of the company (however minuscule it is) is looking to be getting diluted more than it could have been. Even if I didn't have any LEAPs at all, I would want to see proof of viability/profitability of the Business before moving on to the next big project, even before the current project shows results. So I'm not a big fan of all this rush. Show the money to the market, investors, believers and the skeptics periodically and prove it out if only for a quarter or two that the core business is insanely valuable than all the fud up in the air.

But this for me is dependent on how they will get financing. I agree with you if it will be significant dilution but there is a possibility it won't be. And if it is not then there is no reason to wait.

Let's see, a million cars at 50K @, that would be 50 billion in annual revenues (higher with Tesla Energy added in) by 2020, just four years from now. 2015 annual revenues were four billion, meaning we are going up 12.5-fold in five years. We have seen a stock price around 230 for more than two years. When does the market price in the incredible expansion that is coming? $2,300/share is a 10-fold increase. A similar scenario drove the stock price from 35 to 290 during the Model S ramp. That was an eight-fold increase. Do we have to wait until we are actually in the Model 3 ramp to see this type of appreciation? Seems the market should have figured out by now that based on Tesla's history (and the technical achievements of SpaceX), that the Model 3 ramp is going to happen, and close to what Elon is projecting. Waiting patiently.

Last edited:
With a huge pent up demand for battery storage, I think they can also accelerate cell production at the GF which provides additional funding source and could be significant in the back half of 2016.

Aren't the energy storage cells to be made at Panasonic Japan and the energy storage battery packs made at Gigafactory1? The original 35 gwh of cells to be made at Gigafactory1 were intended for Model 3 battery packs. Looks like any additional battery cell capacity at Gigafactory1 will be needed for the accelerated ramp of Model 3.

Let's see, a million cars at 50K @, that would be 50 billion in annual revenues (higher with Tesla Energy added in) by 2020, just four years from now. 2015 annual revenues were four billion, meaning we are going up 12.5-fold in four years. We have seen a stock price around 230 for more than two years. When does the market price in the incredible expansion that is coming? $2,300/share is a 10-fold increase. A similar scenario drove the stock price from 35 to 290 during the Model S ramp. That was an eight-fold increase. Do we have to wait until we are actually in the Model 3 ramp to see this type of appreciation? Seems the market should have figured out by now that based on Tesla's history (and the technical achievements of SpaceX), that the Model 3 ramp is going to happen, and close to what Elon is projecting. Waiting patiently.

I'd stay away from thinking about > $1000/share. Everytime this type of thinking gets settled into investors mind, disaster happen. Everytime I had to warn people against this thinking, disaster happen.

Reactions: Tenable
What prediction?
Here's my prediction, and reasoning.

The Roadster was very late, but most of that was not on Elon's watch, so I don't count it.
The Model S was late. Elon said he was aiming to make the best car, period.
The Model X was late. Elon said he was aiming to make the best CUV, period. Somewhere in there he added safety.

Now what does he say? He says the Model 3 is designed to make manufacturing easy. He's preparing plans to make sure it ships as close to on time as possible.

My prediction is that Tesla will deliver 200k cars (S+X+3) by the end of 2017, and 500k in 2018.

Keep in mind that Elon made a decision that was in the best interest of Tesla's future customers and by taking care of the customers he will in the long run take care of the investors too. We have people out there who want the Model 3 but they're not putting in orders because the wait appears to be too long. We have Model 3 buyers who want to get some of the U.S. tax credit for buying the vehicle. By announcing an aggressive ramp-up plan, Elon is saying, "I hear your concerns and I am responding." This aggressive ramp-up will be very popular with those people either waiting for a Model 3 or considering placing an order. Ultimately, the investors will be rewarded significantly because the customers are going to be satisfied. They are going to get their cars sooner and because a greater number of customers will enjoy the tax credit.

If Tesla can pull off this aggressive Model 3 ramp-up, the stock will be golden in 2018.

My apologies if this comes across as disrespectful or rude. Elon can't get nine women to make a baby in one month.
What a complete non-sequiter! Elon has never attacked a problem by trying to throw more money or parallelism at it.

We can't just say EVs are much easier or simpler to build than ICE cars without knowing all the facts. How much time does it take to cast an electric motor housing, machine it, paint it, weld the stator cores, wind them, machine the rotor shafts, balance it, fit it to a tight tolerance, assemble 5000 tiny battery cells, connect each one, install the BMS hardware versus the time taken to cast, machine and assemble an ICE drive train?

First, I think that he has been doing most of those things for eight years, since we bought our Roadster. Second, IDTYM ICE.

GM spent $400 million to retool an existing factory that already builds full size vans, when they decided to make the Chevy GMC Mid-size trucks in Missouri. $400 million to build a brand new platform, 6 different body styles (Crew cab, extended cab, long box, short box), 3 different engine choices including a diesel, two different brands. and all this on an assembly line that builds full size vans on a completely different chassis. $400 million to make 150,000 a year vehicles right off the bat. How many billions has Tesla spent so far and still under 100,000 a year capacity?

More irrelevance. GM has been in the business for more than a century. No-one (except nay-sayers) has said that Tesla isn't still learning, and isn't on a growth curve.

The same argument is used to compare reliability because an EV drive train has fewer moving parts. A well made DeWalt power tool with tens of moving parts is a million times more reliable than a poorly cast, poorly designed hand tool with zero moving parts. I have seen cheap wrenches break in half at the first use.

I have seen cheap logic break too.

Reactions: madodel
Yep. Agreed. Tesla/Elon said on call what I assumed all along. They only need the single GF in Reno and the single factory (Fremont) to get to 1M cars/year.

They'll be a lot of talk about new GFs and new Factories in the near term (media etc).

Read My Lips: No new factories needed

New factories are NOT on the critical path to 2017-2020 production volumes.
Actually, he pretty much said that that wasn't necessarily the rational path to follow. But I agree that he said they could.

Tanner must be relieved he didn't sell yesterday.

I wish I didn't sell yesterday.
It happens. You are new here so I don't know anything about your experience trading TSLA or trading in general. One thing to know for sure is that TSLA is very, very volatile and will both go up and go down enormous amounts in short periods of time. If you let fear or emotion drive your decisions, you will lose enormous amounts. Decide what you think the company will do, decide what you think it's current state is, then stay up on any changes to it. If you have a positive opinion, buy during or after large drops. On large increases, decide if you want to hold or take profit, and decide if you think the catalysts for the rise are mostly over or if they are just beginning. Sell a portion if you think they are mostly over in the short term and if you want to swing trade, hold if one or both of those things is false.
Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.