Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An Open Letter to Donald Trump:
(Actually, this is spot on target with the intent of this thread. Bear with me)

Dear Sir,
Now that you have achieved your dream, you of all people know there will be much work to be done. Because, now that you've achieved your goal to become POTUS, your other promised goals will need to be tackled next.

I'm writing to you as a Tesla shareholder, who is concerned about the future of this company, and its success. Foremost is its short term success, because the news of your presidential win has caused Tesla's share price to drop dramatically the past 2 days. I'm worried. You see, there is this misconception that you do not support the idea of electric vehicles, and home grown solar energy production and storage. I know this is wrong, because you know that Tesla is an American company, manufacturing cars that are made with a higher percentage of American parts than any other manufacturer. And you surely also know that the solar industry is getting more technologically advanced every year; we, as Americans, can literally produce our own electricity to power our homes, AND our automobiles, from the sunlight falling on our rooftops!

I read about your "First 100 Days" plan today, and must say, yes please! Well... to the following bits anyway. The others I've not listed, I'm not so sure. :(

"What follows is my 100-day action plan to Make America Great Again. It is a contract between myself and the American voter — and begins with restoring honesty, accountability and change to Washington

Therefore, on the first day of my term of office, my administration will immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC:"

Here Is What Donald Trump Wants To Do In His First 100 Days

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

Mr. Trump. You seem to have made clear a dislike for lobbyists. Bravo sir! You see, the entrenched American legacy automakers have a yuge (did I just say yuge?), I mean huge, group of lobbyists, who advocate for their entrenched companies. In fact, they even have gone to the extent of convincing some states to disallow sales of Tesla automobiles, just because Tesla does not use the dealership model to sell their cars. How un-American is that? Please consider the fact that many of us see this as discrimination and misuse of power against a small, yet growing American enterprise. And by the way; Tesla's state of the art technology greatly showcases the awesomeness of American ingenuity, like few other companies of our time.

Oh, and those oil, natural gas, and coal lobbyists. You hate them too, right?

To continue with your 100 days plan;

"On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers:

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately."

Did I mention that Tesla is an American company, employing American workers? And of course this means that profits are kept here, in America (except of course those foreign share holders, not Tesla's fault the law allows that…).

Here's something else really huge to consider Mr. Trump; Tesla may be small now, but it is a fast growing enterprise, with product demand far outweighing supply. This company is putting massive capital into growth potential, and if its potential could be realized, could realistically become one of the world's largest manufacturers, selling its products worldwide. Yes sir, that's the truth. But don't ask GM or Ford what they think. You see, they live in the past, and have shown how closed minded they are about our amazing future. They don't really want to make electric cars either; as shown by GM's recall and scraping of their first produced EVs, which were much loved by their owners.

"* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward."

Just a suggestion, something to consider; if we just used the electricity produced from the sunlight falling on our roofs, we'd need considerably less oil, natural gas, and clean(??) coal. And there are plenty of potential jobs to be grown from solar enterprises, and battery storage too you know. I understand your loyalty in wanting to protect American jobs Mr. Trump, but please don't discriminate in your support of American Energy. American sunshine comes to us each and every day. Sunshine = ENERGY.

"3. American Energy & Infrastructure Act. Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral."

Hey, that includes solar and battery storage, right?

Lastly, subsidies. I know you dislike subsidies as much as the next guy. But please consider this; oil, gas, natural gas, coal, all are heavily subsidized by the American taxpayer. In so many ways. Wars in the middle east to protect (?) our interests in oil. The cost of these wars is kind of a subsidy, don't you think? Pollution. Has an effect of the health, and literally the lives of our citizens. Who pays for that? Not the oil industry. US.

I could go on, but risk running out of breath, so will end it here.

Thank you for your time in reading this Mr. Trump.

Have a bright, sunny day!

Suncatcher

InsideEVs published list of known new EV models that will hit the road in next 5 years:
  • Renault ZOE, ~200 miles of range, available now in the UK
  • Chevrolet Bolt, 238 miles, currently in production
  • Hyundai Ioniq EV, 110 miles, available this winter
  • Nissan LEAF, 200+ miles, “soon”/2017
  • Tesla Model 3, 200+ miles, late 2017
  • Fisker E-Motion, ~400 miles
  • Audi e-tron quattro SUV, 310 miles, 2018
  • Jaguar E-Pace SUV, all-electric long-range, 2018
  • Aston Martin RapidE, 210 miles, 2018
  • Next-Gen Tesla Roadster, 200+miles, 2019
  • Mercedes-Benz Generation EQ, 300 miles, 2019
  • Volvo “?”, 200+ miles, 2019
  • Audi “A9 e-tron”, 300 miles, 2020
  • Porsche Mission E Concept, 240 miles, 2020
  • Faraday Future, ~300 miles, 2020
  • Volkswagen I.D., 240 miles, 2020
  • Ford “?”, all-electric long-range, 2020
  • Subaru “?”, all-electric long-range, 2021
  • BMW SUV, all-electric long-range, 2021
Quite useful information.

19 Long-Range Electric Vehicles That Will Be On Sale By 2021

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: SteveG3 and sunhelm
InsideEVs published list of known new EV models that will hit the road in next 5 years:
  • Renault ZOE, ~200 miles of range, available now in the UK
  • Chevrolet Bolt, 238 miles, currently in production
  • Hyundai Ioniq EV, 110 miles, available this winter
  • Nissan LEAF, 200+ miles, “soon”/2017
  • Tesla Model 3, 200+ miles, late 2017
  • Fisker E-Motion, ~400 miles
  • Audi e-tron quattro SUV, 310 miles, 2018
  • Jaguar E-Pace SUV, all-electric long-range, 2018
  • Aston Martin RapidE, 210 miles, 2018
  • Next-Gen Tesla Roadster, 200+miles, 2019
  • Mercedes-Benz Generation EQ, 300 miles, 2019
  • Volvo “?”, 200+ miles, 2019
  • Audi “A9 e-tron”, 300 miles, 2020
  • Porsche Mission E Concept, 240 miles, 2020
  • Faraday Future, ~300 miles, 2020
  • Volkswagen I.D., 240 miles, 2020
  • Ford “?”, all-electric long-range, 2020
  • Subaru “?”, all-electric long-range, 2021
  • BMW SUV, all-electric long-range, 2021
Quite useful information.

19 Long-Range Electric Vehicles That Will Be On Sale By 2021

Plans for many of those may be scrapped by established ICE manufacturers, if the Trump administration reduces fuel efficiency standards.

Here's an interesting graph for those of you who think the involvement of the shorts in TSLA trading is just a minor annoyance. The graph is from a website called shortanalytics.com . I'm not too familiar with the website and cannot speak of their reliability, but if these numbers are true, they're eye-opening. Here is a recent graph of short vs. long activity for TSLA. You can see the 30 million + shares sold short of TSLA comprise a significantly larger percentage of daily trading activity than the 20% share of total control of TSLA shares would imply. In fact, the chart shows days when trading by shorts exceeds the trading by longs of TSLA.

View attachment 201889

At least when I was last looking at it closely, after Q3ER, it seemed to match this data: November 2016 Reg SHO Daily Files

He is one smart manipulating man. Oh right you guys wouldn't know this cuz all you heard was the mass dishonest media FUD.

FYI, anything *I* used to base my opinion on the man came from words spewed right out of his own pursed little lips. I know he's smart and I know he's a manipulator. I also know quite a few other things about him, none of which earn him brownie points. I also know that he's clearly not all bad, that he does have some redeeming qualities. So you can just take me off that 'you only know the FUD the dishonest media speaks' list. And frankly, many of us here on this forum are well-versed on the honesty level of the media having watched them take their turns at Tesla and Elon Musk for the last several years.

Since winning the elections trump had zero tweets bashing anything. Should tell you a lot.

What it tells me is that you're naive. A tiger doesn't change its stripes. Even I can play nice now and again and follow the forum rules.

Did ya'll catch his acceptance speech that was nothing like his previous speeches.

Yeah, I heard it. Congrats to him for mostly staying on the script given to him. Was I impressed? Clearly not a fraction as much as you.

Tesla in particular will be more than fine. It's a fire sale so act accordingly.

Tesla will be fine. Not because of Trump or even in spite of Trump. Tesla will be fine because of Elon Musk, and J.B. Straubel, and every other person working their butts off for our continued future. Tesla will be fine because of every person who decides to make a conscience decision to do better and be better by buying a BEV, putting solar on their homes and business etc...

image.png

Trump administration policies should be beneficial and not harmful to Tesla.

1) Tesla cars and battery packs are made in American factories with American workers.
2) Reduced fuel economy standards for ICE cars make electric cars more attractive to consumers.
3) Reduced fuel economy standards for ICE cars may eliminate need for competitors to produce electric cars.
4) Elimination of electric car tax credits mainly hurts competitors, since Tesla will soon be over the limit.
5) Improvement of infrastructure implies more driving.
6) Strict constructionist Supreme Court justices may be more likely to interpret the Constitution's interstate commerce clause in Tesla's favor.

BTW, Mr. Trump owns a Tesla Roadster so he is apparently not ignorant or disapproving of the company.[/QUOTE

US has a new president, and the American people should follow his example: 10% of the car fleet ought to be a Tesla immediately!

Good article on why Trump will likely try to work with democrats in congress too.

tldr; Trump hates ceding power, and if he doesn't work at least in part with democrats and they try to blanket oppose everything he does then that may force the republican majority in senate to invoke nuclear option on the filibuster - but the catch here is then Trump would lose all his power/leverage over McConnell and Paul Ryan as they would just be handing him bills to sign with little concern for Trump's agenda. To maintain power and not be a stooge of congressional republicans (most of whom he doesn't really like anyway), Trump needs to be able to leverage both sides.

Last edited:
While I'm unhappy with the election results for many reasons, let me post this, and explain the significance:

donald-trump-hillary-clinton.jpg

Those of us somewhat familiar with Mr. Trump's past know that he is not actually the person he pretended to be when running this campaign. He was in fact a fan of the Clintons and was far more liberal in many respects than probably many of his current supporters and detractors realize. He was, in his own words, "Very pro choice", he leaned towards allowing gays in the military, was for universal health care, etc. Now, the question is, has he really done a complete 180 on all these issues and completely changed his until recently held views, or, did he simply take a position that was likely to get him what he wanted? My guess is a bit of both, with the end result being, hopefully, a more rational middle of the road approach than most people on either side are expecting.

Topics to Watch -

May I suggest all watch how the P-elect handles his vow to enter into a trade war with China. There are only a few items China would have in its arsenal...but one of them would be to bear down on US automakers' sales in China. And think of what that would mean.

Reactions: 1 person
Nearly all of Trumps's open end mutual fund investments are concentrated in Baron Capital Management, a mid-sized mutual fund family headed by mutual fund mogul Ronald S. Baron.[102][107] Trump invested $16.2 million in Baron Capital Management, making him a significant minority shareholder.

This is via Wiki. [102] and [107] link to the articles.

TSLA is Baron Fund highest holding at 1.5% of total holdings or $300M in sum. Trump indirectly has holdings in TSLA.

FYI, anything *I* used to base my opinion on the man came from words spewed right out of his own pursed little lips. I know he's smart and I know he's a manipulator. I also know quite a few other things about him, none of which earn him brownie points. I also know that he's clearly not all bad, that he does have some redeeming qualities. So you can just take me off that 'you only know the FUD the dishonest media speaks' list. And frankly, many of us here on this forum are well-versed on the honesty level of the media having watched them take their turns at Tesla and Elon Musk for the last several years.

What it tells me is that you're naive. A tiger doesn't change its stripes. Even I can play nice now and again and follow the forum rules.

Yeah, I heard it. Congrats to him for mostly staying on the script given to him. Was I impressed? Clearly not a fraction as much as you.

Tesla will be fine. Not because of Trump or even in spite of Trump. Tesla will be fine because of Elon Musk, and J.B. Straubel, and every other person working their butts off for our continued future. Tesla will be fine because of every person who decides to make a conscience decision to do better and be better by buying a BEV, putting solar on their homes and business etc...[/QUOTE

Tesla will be fine. Not because of Trump or even in spite of Trump. Tesla will be fine because of Elon Musk, and J.B. Straubel, and every other person working their butts off for our continued future. Tesla will be fine because of every person who decides to make a conscience decision to do better and be better by buying a BEV, putting solar on their homes and business etc...

The alcoholic billionaires that never lies would have been wonderful for
The country.

Nearly all of Trumps's open end mutual fund investments are concentrated in Baron Capital Management, a mid-sized mutual fund family headed by mutual fund mogul Ronald S. Baron.[102][107] Trump invested $16.2 million in Baron Capital Management, making him a significant minority shareholder.

This is via Wiki. [102] and [107] link to the articles.

TSLA is Baron Fund highest holding at 1.5% of total holdings or $300M in sum. Trump indirectly has holdings in TSLA.

Thanks, I really needed to hear that this week.

• Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.