Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not AR glasses, AR Glass! Heads up display.

Seriously, if Tesla tries to give model 3 owners goggles to wear while driving I will short TSLA immediately. I don't think that is happening but I see a lot of conflating "google glass" and "tesla glass" and it is making me nervous.

Those people are not doing fine. They are dying along with the planet.

Earth will be fine once it has shrugged off the humans. In geologic time it won't matter at all. There will just be a layer of plastic in the geologic record to mark our existence.

HUMANS will even survive global warming. There are too many of us and we are very adaptable.

Civilization is what is at risk.

Smart: having or showing a quick-witted intelligence
Intelligence: the ability to acquire AND apply knowledge and skills
I would add a common definition of Wisdom: the proper use of intelligence. A sign of it: what I've most admired in people, how quickly they can change their minds once new evidence requires it. A lot of these contribute to this thread.

I would add a common definition of Wisdom: the proper use of intelligence. A sign of it: what I've most admired in people, how quickly they can change their minds once new evidence requires it. A lot of these contribute to this thread.

I know for myself: I am stubborn and obstinate and will vigorously defend my positions when challenged, right up until the point where you can present me with incontrovertible evidence that my stance is incorrect or otherwise invalid, and then I'll concede quickly.

Seriously, if Tesla tries to give model 3 owners goggles to wear while driving I will short TSLA immediately. I don't think that is happening but I see a lot of conflating "google glass" and "tesla glass" and it is making me nervous.

I always love people that make statements like this. Why do people continue to do this?

Elon understands style and fashion. People thought electric cars had to be slow and ugly, and a compromise on many levels. He proved that didn't have to be true. People thought solar roofs had to be ugly and that Tesla's solar roofing would be something like the hideous shingles Dow produced. Why can't people take him at his word when he said "it looks better than a normal roof", months before the unveil? Elon and Tesla understand user experience is important, and won't compromise it. Needing to put on some kind of goggles to drive your Model 3 would be ridiculous - they won't do it. People say existing HUDs are crappy, low res, and difficult to see with glare and such. I'm confident that they won't include it if they haven't come up with some way to mitigate the common problems with the technology, just as they have with every other technology they've touched.

I expect to be moderated for this.

In Trump’s Washington, rival powers and whispers in the president’s ear

The author does not compare Trump to Roosevelt but if their reporting is accurate, his leadership style is redolent of FDR who actually provoked argument among his cabinet to his great amusement and in the spirit of uncovering new ideas. But his closest alt-FDR was his wife, Eleanor, who could get information from coal miners directly, and constantly tried to steer him leftward. That is not what we can expect from Trump's wife and many are concerned about Bannon, especially the likes of Elizabeth Warren as You Tube shows in her speech sponsored by the Wall Street Journal.

To ad "color" to FDR's dealing with the press: my principal academic advisor claimed he was the Wall Street Journal's White House reporter during the 40s, said FDR made the best Tom Collinses in town. Through more direct scholarly sources, one time Roosevelt wheeled in with a dunce cap he required an offending reporter to wear while in a corner of the room for the entire meeting with the press. And the reporter complied. That's real power when a guy in a wheel chair tells you to do it. That was a different time with different approaches to shielding the president. The press generally respected Roosevelt's wish to avoid photos of his disability.

So, VIN report halfway through the quarter (spoiler: it's really good):

S: approximately 10,000 assigned in Q4 (compare to 7,500 at this time in Q3). Currently in the 174k range.
X: approximately 6,500 assigned in Q4 (compare to 5,100 at this time in Q3). Just passed the 30k number.

Some like to look at VIN assignments as a demand marker and others see it as a tool to measure production - but all I can say is that there's no bad news here. As my previous posts have shown, it appears there has not been any VIN skipping going on either - so these cars (including inventory, I assume) are scheduled to be built and shipped to customers in Q4. Remember, early Q4 production is bound for overseas and we had over 5k cars in transit at the end of quarter, plus a historical practice of delivering more than production in Q4. Could be a good one.

Last edited:
Heard something today that new incentives for low/no-carbon vehicles may be included in the Chancellor's Autumn Statement (i.e. biannual mini budget by the UK's finance minister). He gives this statement, in which fiscal policy for the following year and beyond is laid out, on 23rd November.

To follow up on this, I should mention that the current Chancellor takes climate change seriously and is seen as a strong proponent on action against climate change.

Some quotes:

The global low carbon economy is already worth $6tn, and is growing 4-5% a year. In 2013, additions to the world’s renewable energy generating capacity exceeded those to the fossil-fuelled capacity for the first time ever.

Not only that, but the growth in the low carbon sector of the UK economy is now outpacing the growth rate of the economy as a whole. In the UK, [these] firms employed over 460,000 people and contributed £45bn to the UK economy in 2013, an increase of almost 30% in just three years ... Our businesses in the UK are looking at these trends, and telling us that we should be a leader, not a back-marker.

The world is moving towards a low carbon economy; I would suggest that there may now be more risk in being left behind than there is in taking the lead ... Studies suggest that by stimulating greater innovation and efficiency, climate policies will increase our economic competitiveness.

Reactions: Wenche and madodel
I was actually impressed how at the end he specifically pointed out that the interviewer was trying to lead him down an ad hominem attack on Musk and how he refused to go that way (after talking about how proponents of EM would liken him to Steve Jobs).
I have to admit that was respectful. I see it as bullish of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.