Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only got one key and it went bad after two weeks. The APP works okay but is not nearly as convenient. Process 1. Fetch phone 2. find and hit the app. 3. Hit the unlock icon. 4. Verify, do you really want to unlock? Y 5. Hit the Keyless drive icon. 6. Verify-use fingerprint scanner. After this you will get a message the keyless driving has been activated--you have two minutes. If your fobs are bad, you have to go through this process EVERY TIME you get in the car. Annoying in you are running a lot of small errands. It I NOT like using the fob. No Auto present. and always locks almost immediately upon exit--so, yes annoying. They are finally picking up my X to take it to SC to program two new keys. Evidently the new fobs are finally arriving. I cannot leave my bedridden wife to drive (2hrs) to SC , so this has been a pain.

Reactions: dragonxt
I only got one key and it went bad after two weeks. The APP works okay but is not nearly as convenient. Process 1. Fetch phone 2. find and hit the app. 3. Hit the unlock icon. 4. Verify, do you really want to unlock? Y 5. Hit the Keyless drive icon. 6. Verify-use fingerprint scanner. After this you will get a message the keyless driving has been activated--you have two minutes. If your fobs are bad, you have to go through this process EVERY TIME you get in the car. Annoying in you are running a lot of small errands. It I NOT like using the fob. No Auto present. and always locks almost immediately upon exit--so, yes annoying. They are finally picking up my X to take it to SC to program two new keys. Evidently the new fobs are finally arriving. I cannot leave my bedridden wife to drive (2hrs) to SC , so this has been a pain.
Ask if a Tesla Ranger can come by, they're great!

I got two keys, in the normal box, with the two lanyards (which I don't use, have fob pockets from Abstract Ocean), and the tool for opening the fob for changing the battery or installing the lanyard. This was on September 23rd.

Wonder why locations some have a shortage and some don't?

SC said that you have to bring car into SC to program new keys. Mobile service can’t do it. Picked up my Snowball today-at SC now. Also getting them to look at a # of small issues while there. Much more impressed with this SC over the one where I picked up Snowball.

Their new platforms are no longer boxy.

View attachment 248925

Congrats on your vehicle.

Currently renting one in SW FL for a couple of days while I stop in to check on some Hurricane repairs.

Fwiw: this vehicle is light years away from equalizing the x; Gui& self driving dismal, on road and handling rough, etc. Key is huge and not easy to use.

Decent seats though....