Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And compensation?

Yeah, compensation doesn't make sense, it was mostly venting. What's maddening is the way that the delivery goes:
  • Delivery agent: Oh and by the way, there's only one key but who needs two, right?
  • Me: Euh, I need an extra key just in case and the phone app is only for emergency and doesn't work if no network connectivity
  • Delivery agent: Oh, OK, let me write a note in your delivery receipt to make sure you get a second key
  • Me: OK, thanks, when will I get the key?
  • Delivery agent: we have no idea
  • Me emailing my OA after delivery: Hey, what about that missing key?
  • OA: Yes, we have a global shortage of key, we will contact you when we get one but we don't know when and it requires a visit to the service center, anything else I can do for you?
That's not the experience I expect for a luxury car that's all. And what about if I didn't inquiry for that second key during delivery?

I just took delivery of an inventory model X P100DL in San Francisco and only got 1 key to the car. We're not talking about a rental car here but a $130K+ luxury car! And I am prone to losing keys too... This is what my OA said:

I can absolutely understand the frustration, as we have had a few new owners feel the same way. We are currently experiencing a shortage of keys company-wide and are working with our teams to ensure we get a new shipment as soon as possible. The moment these come in, we will make sure to get you set up.
So no ETA for a second key and standard Tesla support answers: this is just the way it is, no apology, no compensation. I know it's a small thing but this is my second Tesla and well this is not surprising and I know this is very minor but still...

Well, I love the car so I'll stop complaining now :)
The end of the world? I am sure you could have delayed delivery until second key available

To play devil's advocate. What should Tesla do in this situation? Stopping the sale of cars would be a far worse customer experience. Not saying i agree with the attitude but the company is still very much a startup trying to push to where they're a bit more comfortable.

It's not ideal and not expected with the price of these cars. The price tag sets an expectation but there seem to still very much be an investment tax here. I'm sure in the long-term they will make it right. Best thing you can do is escalate to increase the visibility of the problem.

Reactions: EdisonR
To play devil's advocate. What should Tesla do in this situation?

What I would expect is a communication before delivery because they must have know about the problem and along with proper training of their staff so that they are in the known. Something along the line of:

We apologize but due to a shortage of keys, your car will only be delivered with one key and we're doing our maximum to get your second one as soon as we can. Until then, here's a video on how to unlock your car with your phone in case you're in situation where your keyfob is out of battery, fails or is lost. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and hope you enjoy your new vehicle.

What I would expect is a communication before delivery because they must have know about the problem and along with proper training of their staff so that they are in the known. Something along the line of:

We apologize but due to a shortage of keys, your car will only be delivered with one key and we're doing our maximum to get your second one as soon as we can. Until then, here's a video on how to unlock your car with your phone in case you're in situation where your keyfob is out of battery, fails or is lost. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and hope you enjoy your new vehicle.
Agreed. Running out of keys is really silly, but trying to play it off like you don't need or shouldn't want a second key is unprofessional. They should of just been upfront, apologized and promised to keep you in the loop about when you'd get yours. They also should have offered to ship it or driven it out to you. You're paying around $100k for the car, they can at least afford the postage to correct their own error.

Reactions: Cowby
Agree to this 100%.

Not sure about the shortage anymore, as my new key is currently in the hands of FedEx. But having read here that someone got replacement keys that seemed used. If mine show up like that. I would be very disappointed in Tesla.

That said, as mentioned by EdisonR, i can deal with not having a spare key for awhile, but it was very unprofessional the way the Delivery Specs tried to cover it up. I would not have turned down delivery just because a second key was missing.

Reactions: Cowby and EdisonR
Yeah, compensation doesn't make sense, it was mostly venting. What's maddening is the way that the delivery goes:
  • Delivery agent: Oh and by the way, there's only one key but who needs two, right?
  • Me: Euh, I need an extra key just in case and the phone app is only for emergency and doesn't work if no network connectivity
  • Delivery agent: Oh, OK, let me write a note in your delivery receipt to make sure you get a second key
  • Me: OK, thanks, when will I get the key?
  • Delivery agent: we have no idea
  • Me emailing my OA after delivery: Hey, what about that missing key?
  • OA: Yes, we have a global shortage of key, we will contact you when we get one but we don't know when and it requires a visit to the service center, anything else I can do for you?
That's not the experience I expect for a luxury car that's all. And what about if I didn't inquiry for that second key during delivery?

That seems about par for the course. I took delivery in Fremont a few miles from the factory and they didn't have charging setup in the delivery area or can even demonstrate how to charge for me.

Got my key in the mail. Looks pretty rough. But has a sticker with my vin number on the top. Poor handling maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
Elon doesn't even think keys are necessary, much less being something comparable to a fine watch.

I kind of agree with him, I always hated those massive remotes required to drive a Maserati, Volvo, MBZ, etc... you have to carry them around like a small purse. I much prefer the small, smooth Telsa fob in my pocket, although they could make it out of better materials. Although many people disagree, I think he got it right with the Model 3.

It’s been over a month since I took delivery, missing a key... SC still does not have any. It appears whatever shortages/problems have still not been resolved. Has anyone gotten new keys in the past month? What’s the going on, they gotta have some keys otherwise it’d be really hard to sell any new cars!