Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shot forward when parked [unintended acceleration - resolved by OP]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, I don’t understand the comments about me being a first time poster? Is that relevant? Does it invalidate my comments?
First time posters are generally taken with a grain of salt... This type of thing is more common than ppl think, especially in financial situations. For ex...

Yes, I agree. My memory of these stressful events are flawed. I looked at the memory stick from the glove compartment today. Was very keen to watch what happened. Unfortunately there was only lots of videos of my journeys today. Didn’t realise it overwrites every day? Very disappointed.
Yeah, it overwrites. But if one honks or hits the little icon after Something Happens, the video in question gets saved permanently and doesn't get overwritten.

I was around when the Teslacam was introduced, so spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to make it fly.

Honestly, I feel your pain on that one. But this is one of the reasons that, no matter what car I've ever bought over the years, I've always read the car manual from cover to cover. There's always weird stuff in there one wishes one knew. It's not electronically driven cars like a Prius that got funny settings tucked in funny places. I found out one day that the Dodge Caravan from the 1990's the SO was driving had a feature where, the less weight on the rear wheels, the less braking force would be applied. The idea being to reduce skidding.
Or seeing my neighbor, one year, with this horrid look on his face. "John!", I said, "What's wrong?"
"Car bumped into the concrete base of a light post in the local plaza. Then it wouldn't start. I had it towed here. Have to take it to the dealer on Monday. Ugh."
"Um. May I see the car's manual?" He gave me a strange look, disgustedly walked over to the car, opened the glove box, and tossed me the manual.
Swiftly looking through the Maintenance Section, I found what I suspected. "John, got a screwdriver? And would you please open the trunk?"
Trunk opened; open an unnoticed flap over the left rear wheel, there's a widget in there. Stick the screwdriver where it says and push. "Click."
"Go try it now."
Car started. Safety feature: On the fuel injected cars of the day, if there's a bump, an accelerometer turns off the fuel pump, the better not to have fuel spilled all over in an accident. Once tripped, though, it has to be reset :).
John was still mad, of course: He had had to pay the tow truck driver. And maybe find a body shop to make his bumper smooth and shiny again.

Think Teslas don't have stuff like that? Check out the manual release for the charging cable. Or how to get the car open if the 12V battery is dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
First time posters are generally taken with a grain of salt... This type of thing is more common than ppl think, especially in financial situations. For ex...

Oh dear. I’m not going to be serupticiously

Oh dear. I’m not going to be surreptitiously marketing anything on this forum. I retired from marketing years ago! Hahaa! 😂👍

Yeah, it overwrites. But if one honks or hits the little icon after Something Happens, the video in question gets saved permanently and doesn't get overwritten.

I was around when the Teslacam was introduced, so spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to make it fly.

Honestly, I feel your pain on that one. But this is one of the reasons that, no matter what car I've ever bought over the years, I've always read the car manual from cover to cover. There's always weird stuff in there one wishes one knew. It's not electronically driven cars like a Prius that got funny settings tucked in funny places. I found out one day that the Dodge Caravan from the 1990's the SO was driving had a feature where, the less weight on the rear wheels, the less braking force would be applied. The idea being to reduce skidding.
Or seeing my neighbor, one year, with this horrid look on his face. "John!", I said, "What's wrong?"
"Car bumped into the concrete base of a light post in the local plaza. Then it wouldn't start. I had it towed here. Have to take it to the dealer on Monday. Ugh."
"Um. May I see the car's manual?" He gave me a strange look, disgustedly walked over to the car, opened the glove box, and tossed it to me.
Swiftly looking through the Maintenance Section, I found what I suspected. "John, got a screwdriver? And would you please open the trunk?"
Trunk opened; open an unnoticed flap over the left rear wheel, there's a widget in there. Stick the screwdriver where it says and push. "Click."
"Go try it now."
Car started. Safety feature: On the fuel injected cars of the day, if there's a bump, an accelerometer turns off the fuel pump, the better not to have fuel spilled all over in an accident. Once tripped, though, it has to be reset :).
John was still mad, of course: He had had to pay the tow truck driver. And maybe find a body shop to make his bumper smooth and shiny again.

Think Teslas don't have stuff like that? Check out the manual release for the charging cable. Or how to get the car open if the 12V battery is dead.
Wow. Some reading to do. ☹️

Oh dear. I’m not going to be serupticiously

Oh dear. I’m not going to be surreptitiously marketing anything on this forum. I retired from marketing years ago! Hahaa! 😂👍
^^Yea, not saying you are. It's just that rando posters... I mean, it is what it is. And Tesla is a major short seller target (under constant attack) so we're always kind of always aware. Again, not suggesting you are obviously, just explaining what you'd expect.

^^Yea, not saying you are. It's just that rando posters... I mean, it is what it is. And Tesla is a major short seller target (under constant attack) so we're always kind of always aware. Again, not suggesting you are obviously, just explaining what you'd expect.
Yes, I understand. Wasn’t offended one bit. Short selling should be outlawed. Do the Koch brothers read this? 😱

From the Tesla manual:
1645059411419.png

and:
1645059421573.png
I'm glad you posted this. I've started being clever, undoing seatbelt and opening the door to have it go into park automatically. I won't do that anymore.

Kudos to Carole for her understanding. Hope you'll soon be able to back to your career as a foot model. 😉

Reactions: CyberGus
I think it would be helpful if there was a distinctive sound to indicate the car has been successfully put into park?

@CarolespiritOK. So, say we got access to all the sensors, all the time. What, if anything, could we do with the sensor outputs that would detect a case of 1-2-3, but would prevent 4?

We can improve the UI via software.

First, make a spectacle of entering “park” (audibly/visually) so that it is obvious.

Second, make a LOUD spectacle when “park” is auto-selected, so that drivers will not be reliant on it with a false sense of security.

Lastly, make a minor alert when in “drive” and a trigger received from any of the aforementioned sensors:

Seat belt - “please remain buckled when in motion”
Door - “please keep all limbs inside the vehicle”
Occupancy sensor - “hey did you just get raptured wtf”

Reactions: Tronguy
First, make a spectacle of entering “park” (audibly/visually) so that it is obvious.

Second, make a LOUD spectacle when “park” is auto-selected, so that drivers will not be reliant on it with a false sense of security.
Noises that occur every time you use a system normally are rapidly ignored and blocked out by humans, and the human brain is not good at noticing the lack of a noise when one is normally there. UI experts have known this for years.

You want a system to only warn on abnormal conditions. Entering park is not abnormal, it is literally supposed to happen every drive. The car already pops up a warning and beeps at you that it automatically entered park to prevent a roll-away, but it only does this if you open the door without your foot on the brake or the car in HOLD (because the brake already on was already preventing a roll away).

The car also beeps continuously if it is moving with the door open (I know because I do this all the time when working on the car and it's almost impossible to keep it in gear)

Something happening once does not mean the system failed at it's design intent, or that the current notifications are insufficient.

Reactions: Tronguy
This thread got me curious so I tried to smash my own foot in the same manner. Here's what I found:
  • The door can be opened at any speed, seatbelt or not, and the car still drives/accelerates normally - like any other car
  • The car can be brought to a stop and then accelerate again with the door still open
With some important caveats:
  • The above scenarios are only possible if the door is forced open with the emergency release - the normal door button only works when stopped and always forces it into Park.
  • While precise control of the Gauss pedal can allow the car to stop with the door open without automatically going to Park, it will immediately go into Park if the door is open, speed is below 2mph, *and* pedal is not depressed at all.
So I suspect @Carolespirit opened the door with the emergency release while the car was rolling very slowly.

unnamed (4).jpg

Love this forum! Thanks guys for the excellent replies. It’s late here in the Uk, so I’m walking my dog and going to bed. Enjoy your Teslas!
This thread got me curious so I tried to smash my own foot in the same manner. Here's what I found:
  • The door can be opened at any speed, seatbelt or not, and the car still drives/accelerates normally - like any other car
  • The car can be brought to a stop and then accelerate again with the door still open
With some important caveats:
  • The above scenarios are only possible if the door is forced open with the emergency release - the normal door button only works when stopped and always forces it into Park.
  • While precise control of the Gauss pedal can allow the car to stop with the door open without automatically going to Park, it will immediately go into Park if the door is open, speed is below 2mph, *and* pedal is not depressed at all.
So I suspect @Carolespirit opened the door with the emergency release while the car was rolling very slowly.

View attachment 770696
No, I’m sorry, but I never use the emergency release. I only ever wrap my fingers around the elegant handle and press the door open symbol with my thumb. Always.

We can improve the UI via software.

Lastly, make a minor alert when in “drive” and a trigger received from any of the aforementioned sensors:

Seat belt - “please remain buckled when in motion”
Door - “please keep all limbs inside the vehicle”
Occupancy sensor - “hey did you just get raptured wtf”
I wish the screen looked exactly like my Apple Mac with the same icons. It would be a seamless transition from my home to my car. I’m sure Apple would be willing (perhaps even happy?) to join with Tesla and make life easier for all of us? The whole screen could go blank for a moment with just the word ‘Parked’ perhaps?

Interesting that you didn't use the emergency handle. In that case the car should have been in Park since the door button forces it to be,
So the only option at that point is to put your foot on the brake and shift back into Drive after the door is open. It will let you do this but only briefly and with very limited power.

Is it possible you opened the door, accidentally shifted to Drive, then stepped on the Gauss pedal?

Interesting that you didn't use the emergency handle. In that case the car should have been in Park since the door button forces it to be,
So the only option at that point is to put your foot on the brake and shift back into Drive after the door is open. It will let you do this but only briefly and with very limited power.

Is it possible you opened the door, accidentally shifted to Drive, then stepped on the Gauss pedal?

Attachments

• 21A14A64-CC3A-4293-A167-54B8CB9F4B7A.jpeg
    21A14A64-CC3A-4293-A167-54B8CB9F4B7A.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 48
Please see this post by Android04. I’m now certain this is what I did. I kept my foot on the brake when I’d stopped and the car went into ‘Vehicle Hold.’
My grandson was excited to get home, so I was distracted. Believing I was parked, I started to get out. But the car was in ‘creep’ and still in drive. So of course it carried on moving.

I am now very careful to remember to engage park, but also I’ve become very aware that there is really no confirmation from the car that you are actually in ‘Park’.
If there was an option in the software to have a very clear confirmation with a sound or to have the screen go blank with just the word ‘Parked’ until you touch the screen to acknowledge you’ve see it, then I would most certainly choose to have that option engaged, for future times when my head may be frazzled.

Thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

There needs to be an option in the software to have a sound confirming that you have engaged ‘Park’ or even have the screen go blank for a moment with just the word ‘Parked’ until you tap it to confirm you’ve seen it. If this option existed I would most certainly engage it to protect against moments when my head is frazzled by my grandson in the back of my car. (Or my husband in the front! 😂) x

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Noises that occur every time you use a system normally are rapidly ignored and blocked out by humans, and the human brain is not good at noticing the lack of a noise when one is normally there. UI experts have known this for years.

You want a system to only warn on abnormal conditions. Entering park is not abnormal, it is literally supposed to happen every drive. The car already pops up a warning and beeps at you that it automatically entered park to prevent a roll-away, but it only does this if you open the door without your foot on the brake or the car in HOLD (because the brake already on was already preventing a roll away).

The car also beeps continuously if it is moving with the door open (I know because I do this all the time when working on the car and it's almost impossible to keep it in gear)

Something happening once does not mean the system failed at it's design intent, or that the current notifications are insufficient.
It would be nice to have the option in the software to turn on an acknowledgement that you are in ‘Park’. A sound, or a blank screen with just the word ‘Parked’ until you tap it to acknowledge you’ve seen it. More confident people wouldn’t need to turn on the option? It may have helped in my situation?