Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Responsibility for killing pedestrians has always been on the shoulders of the driver... and it still is, and that will never change. It is the driver's responsibility to avoid hitting pedestrians no matter what sort of vehicle they're driving. If the car does not have the (currently) familiar sound of a gasoline engine, that does not make it any less the driver's responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate a noisemaker, but wouldn't this fact actually make people WANT noisemakers to help them avoid hitting pedestrians and all of the associated grief?

Haven't read all the posts so I may be repeating.

IF EVs have to make a noise (at low speeds), for me the least offensive would be the sound of crunching gravel relating to road speed up to 15-20mph. Like an estate driveway...

That would be organic and 'pleasant' although I dread to think what a whole slow moving traffic jam would sound like! Indeed with any sounds. Just imagine a whole line of cars whooping; whistling; making StarWars noises; computer sounds....

It would make traffic real aural hell.

IF EVs have to make a noise (at low speeds), for me the least offensive would be the sound of crunching gravel relating to road speed up to 15-20mph. Like an estate driveway...

Imagine a car driving on a hard-top road making crunching gravel noise, much more likely to cause confusion rather than alert pedestrians to traffic. What should visually impaired folks think?

That would be organic and 'pleasant' although I dread to think what a whole slow moving traffic jam would sound like! Indeed with any sounds. Just imagine a whole line of cars whooping; whistling; making StarWars noises; computer sounds....

It would make traffic real aural hell.

Exactly.

Imagine a car driving on a hard-top road making crunching gravel noise, much more likely to cause confusion rather than alert pedestrians to traffic. What should visually impaired folks think?

Exactly.

If the noise became a standard then people, particularly the vision impaired, would know crunching gravel is EV noise.

Maybe make the noise the default under 15 mph when the car starts but with the ability to turn it off for x amount of time before restarting to avoid the bumper to bumper highway hell.

If the noise became a standard then people, particularly the vision impaired, would know crunching gravel is EV noise.

Maybe make the noise the default under 15 mph when the car starts but with the ability to turn it off for x amount of time before restarting to avoid the bumper to bumper highway hell.

Try getting every manufacturer in the world to agree on a single sound though. What about EVs from Canada who have a different sounds driving to US that mandates a different sound? They really don't need to make a sound. People just need to pay attention, cars should have a pedestrian horn, and any technologies that scan for people and alert the driver or stop the car maybe could be used.

Try getting every manufacturer in the world to agree on a single sound though. What about EVs from Canada who have a different sounds driving to US that mandates a different sound? They really don't need to make a sound. People just need to pay attention, cars should have a pedestrian horn, and any technologies that scan for people and alert the driver or stop the car maybe could be used.

I agree that the cars should not make extra sounds, and that the driver is responsible for using his eyes to avoid people. I do also believe that cars should have a pedestrian horn.

ICEs under 15mph make almost no noise, shouldn't they then be mandated to make noise also? Bicycles should also be fitted with noise makers, and Segways, and motorized wheelchairs, and people carrying hot coffee....ok, that last one was maybe going too extreme but why not basically anything that could injure you if you step in front of it?

Okay, what about the "noisy" car drivers who don't pay attention to anything because they are staring at their crotch all the time texting, rolling through stop signs, etc.

Not to mention the pedestrians who are doing the same thing and not paying attention to where they are walking. They will walk right into the side of your car when you are stopped. I had a guy walk out in front of my car last year that freaked me out at the time but guess what....I was going slow enough to stop in time and the had his head buried in his mobile device and wasn't paying attention to anything else.

IMO it's just political B.S. which doesn't solve anything. There will always be situations where other noise is drowning out vehicle sounds anyway, especially when elevated noise levels of modified exhausts (and whatever else) continue to be allowed. It's just noise competing with noise. Good luck competing with the sound of leaf blowers. What if the gardener is out there at the time you are passing by. I still think it's the driver's responsibility to be aware.

I was at a stop light the other morning and a rent-a-truck driver almost wiped out the side of my car because he had his head buried in his mobile device and didn't move over fast enough into the left turn lane. Luckily I was scanning the rear view as I often do when stopped and luckily, I saw him coming, saw the alignment of his truck to my car, and had room to quickly move over to the right before it was too late.

IMO irresponsible human behavior (in sooooooo many ways) will continue to be the biggest threat, not quiet or silent vehicles.

ICEs under 15mph make almost no noise, shouldn't they then be mandated to make noise also? Bicycles should also be fitted with noise makers, and Segways, and motorized wheelchairs, and people carrying hot coffee....ok, that last one was maybe going too extreme but why not basically anything that could injure you if you step in front of it?

I can hear an ICEV behind me walking in a parking lot.

I can't hear a BEV moving behind me in a parking lot.

Absolutely agree.

Larry

Looks like another slippery slope that can lead to ridiculous extremes, if taken.

Last edited:
I have both a LEAF and a Model S. The LEAF does make a very low level sound below 15 mph. I have never found this offensive and cannot hear it in the cabin. I have frequently had the situation of people walking in front of the Tesla in parking lots, clueless that I am behind them. My only options are to hit the horn, way to loud, or turn up the music and open the window. Revving up the engine is clearly not an option. On a lighter note. The Teslas in the Extant series make a whining noise when they move. Clearly Hollywood sound engineers can't tolerate a totally silent car.:smile: