Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy the "full self driving option"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a demo of the current state of development with "full self driving". Full self driving involves complex game theory. For example, in crowded New York city, if you do not nudge your way through a crowd of people continuously jaywalking, you will never be able to cross the intersection with your car. In other words, the threat of running a person over forces the people to get out of your car's way. I a car is programmed to "never run over a person", it will never be able to cross these busy intersections in NYC. Because of this, some people are saying that "full self driving" will not happen until 2045, when scientists predict that artificial intelligence in a common $1000 computer will be just a intelligent as humans. However, Elon Musk says that he'll have full self driving ready by 2020. He recently fired 10% of his autopilot team. Is it impossible to roll out full self driving by 2045? Is Elon being overly optimistic? I invite you to watch the following video and decide for yourself:

• Disagree
Reactions: DrAtomic
Yes. It's already miles ahead of Autopilot. Won't work in ALL situations yet but as a value add it's a no brainer.

It makes ZERO sense not to add something that has already gotten massively better since introduced and is the focus of more improvements in the future (The ENTIRE focus of Tesla).

Last edited:
No. Dont buy it. I regret it and with recent autopilot team firings I would not get it. The only option you are paying for is automatic lane changes which are very annoying and work 50% of the time. They cant even figure out how to make a car drive in an empty parking lot properly. :( Hopefully they will be offering refunds if we dont have automatic city driving and enhanced summon by year end as order site promised.

No. Dont buy it. I regret it and with recent autopilot team firings I would not get it. The only option you are paying for is automatic lane changes which are very annoying and work 50% of the time. They cant even figure out how to make a car drive in an empty parking lot properly. :( Hopefully they will be offering refunds if we dont have automatic city driving and enhanced summon by year end as order site promised.

The biggest mistake anyone makes is assuming where Tesla is today is where they will be tomorrow. It isn't.

We buy wine futures. And now we've bought software futures in the form of FSD.

At the time we ordered last summer, we passed on FSD, but bought the then-available EAP (Enhanced Autopilot). We were already spending more than planned, and just didn't have the extra money lying around. But when it went on sale for $2K a few months ago, we grabbed it. For EAP customers like us, it adds nothing at all yet. It's purely a future. For more recent AP customers, it adds Navigate on Autopilot and its related features.

Should you buy FSD today? That's a very individual choice. We went from "no" to "yes" with the passage of time. We did it in part to secure an HW3 computer, but cars built now have that anyway.

If you have the money, and are willing to make a bet, then go for it. Hard to tell how good the wine will truly be until it's bottled.

Honestly, it depends on how you feel about waiting a year or 5 before getting a return on your investment. Musk says 2020, but he's been telling early adopters that it's just around the corner for years. So I would take that with a grain of salt. Based on Enhanced AP, I would not buy it expecting it next year.

Reactions: duckm4n
Seriously? Not my experience at all and if it was I know theyd fix it.

I am serious. It likes to signal waaay too long and doesn’t make its move.
It likes to always get in the carpool lane even after I hit cancel lane change it keeps prompting. Then when it’s time to change lanes for an exit it sit there along side of the other car signaling then complains cannot complete maneuver. Be prepared to assist.

Reactions: dwalme and afadeev
I am serious. It likes to signal waaay too long and doesn’t make its move.
It likes to always get in the carpool lane even after I hit cancel lane change it keeps prompting. Then when it’s time to change lanes for an exit it sit there along side of the other car signaling then complains cannot complete maneuver. Be prepared to assist.
Soooo it's overly cautious? It's still early. You don't think they will dial this in over time? Cause they will.

As I said what you have today is not what you will have tomorrow.

Reactions: KerryOH
I didn't buy that FSD option when I made my purchase in May 2019. I don't regret it after I tried the included AP option extensively on a 800km (80% - 90% on AP) road trip. Don't get me wrong, AP actually worked very good, even better than me in some situation. However, I realized that I wouldn't rely on that thing for the life of my family, at least not for now. I know I will buy that FSD, given that it's fully tested and mature. I don't see that's happening in the near future (say 3 - 4 yrs). Why would I put 1000s of dollars in advance and hope it will work some day? I may switched to another car in between already.;)

Reactions: afadeev and duanra
I didn't buy that FSD option when I made my purchase in May 2019. I don't regret it after I tried the included AP option extensively on a 800km (80% - 90% on AP) road trip. Don't get me wrong, AP actually worked very good, even better than me in some situation. However, I realized that I wouldn't rely on that thing for the life of my family, at least not for now. I know I will buy that FSD, given that it's fully tested and mature. I don't see that's happening in the near future (say 3 - 4 yrs). Why would I put 1000s of dollars in advance and hope it will work some day? I may switched to another car in between already.;)

Because it's already there in some cars (like Elon's). This is coming out in the next 12 months.

Buying FSD can pay for itself right now. If you buy it every day there will be 15min to 4hrs of checking the internet and Twitter to see if Advanced Summon is available yet. If you are lucky there will be a few more false alarms so you can waste entire weekends. You have already created this thread and you don’t own the car, so this is a given, don’t pretend it won’t happen to you. This is all time you are not buying unnecessary *sugar* on Amazon, or going out drinking. It is also time you are not making money, talking to your wife, doing yard work, or getting a full 8hrs of sleep. So buying FSD now is either going to save your life or ruin it. Your choice.

You don't say where you live.
You don't say where you drive.
You don't say whether you'd be buying FSD(EAP) or FSD(AP).

Therefore your question can't be answered.

PS The car needs to understand when it has right of way, have limited patience and move slowly. It's not _that_ difficult a challenge.

Reactions: M109Rider
You don't say where you live.
You don't say where you drive.
You don't say whether you'd be buying FSD(EAP) or FSD(AP).

Therefore your question can't be answered.

PS The car needs to understand when it has right of way, have limited patience and move slowly. It's not _that_ difficult a challenge.

Ummmmm... he said New York City

Reactions: calidreamz808
Sorry fan boy here, don't buy it now. The only useful option is summon for when you want to park next to a snow bank or parking lot pole.

Take that money and put it in Tesla stock. If they pull off FSD the stock should be 2x or more. If they don't pull it off you will still have a little money in the stock.
But then it costs twice as much. You get a faith premium with Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life