Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Consumer Reports reliability warning, should I put a deposit down on my Model X? Two questions for current owners:

1) When did you get your Model X?

2) Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

(Forgive me if I'm rehashing a thread that has been brought up before!)

Yes! But i would have gotten the performance version. I had a minor issue at delivery, some trim and it was fixed. One door panel was not aligned, and they fixed it-- took them a day. I got a P85D MS as a loaner. While the MS is great as a car, the visibility cannot be understated in the X. FWIW, i have driven nearly 2400 miles in about five weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: HerrJones
Yes! But i would have gotten the performance version. I had a minor issue at delivery, some trim and it was fixed. One door panel was not aligned, and they fixed it-- took them a day. I got a P85D MS as a loaner. While the MS is great as a car, the visibility cannot be understated in the X. FWIW, i have driven nearly 2400 miles in about five weeks.
Me too, woulda got the P90D instead of 90D. All else is really great fun and it's plenty fast, just saying...... I'd buy again for sure.

Reactions: wanaxnow
I purchased X in December for a six month comparison. I will keep the S because it is more practical for solo driving and the P85 is snappy compared with the P90 X in standard mode. I have to use Ludicrous to get snappy takeoffs in X. I also appreciate the trunk space with the 5 seat interior of Model S. Tesla hasn't provided a parcel shelf yet for the X. (My X awaits new parts before it can be sold.)

Purchase the 100 kW battery for Model X. Those of us with 90 kW have about 220 mile 90% range after months of use. My old version "A" battery in the 2012 Model S has a 228 mile 90% range after over 60,000 miles.

Above all, examine, sit, and test drive both vehicles and make careful comparisons. Do you need the extra trunk space of Model S or the extra seats of Model X? If you want to sit higher, have a spectacular front windshield view and enjoy a bit more comfort and quiet, then the X is a great choice. For a sportier look, faster speed and great interior flexibility, then the S may be the best choice.

OT: I will wait for Model 3 production before making the final decision to buy another Tesla. I want to test drive and carefully examine how it is constructed compared with new Model S vehicles. Only then will I choose between Model 3 or a new Model S.

I think it's important to note that CR lags the a bit in terms of what is presently shipping.

Back when I got a 2015 Model S was right about the time when the S was delisted from the recommendation due to the drive inverter of previous years.

But, now it's been relisted and part of that is because the 2015's were a LOT better. I'm glad I got it.

So I would only use CR for a small part of your decision, and give most the weight to what people report lately.

• Informative
Reactions: HerrJones
In my opinion, the X is the best car available right now, bar none.

The S is slightly prettier and slightly faster, but the X is so much more comfortable and you can see so much more.

I have a couple minor things I need the SC to address, but I'm not worried about actual reliability in the slightest, at least for a while.

We'll have to see how the doors hold up in the long term, but they aren't that different from the standard powered lift gates, so folks might be pleasantly surprised.

• Helpful
Reactions: ModelX and Mark Z