TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Should I buy the Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by rainforest, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rainforest

rainforest Member

After Consumer Reports reliability warning, should I put a deposit down on my Model X? Two questions for current owners:

1) When did you get your Model X?

2) Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

(Forgive me if I'm rehashing a thread that has been brought up before!)

2. larmor

larmor Active Member

Yes! But i would have gotten the performance version. I had a minor issue at delivery, some trim and it was fixed. One door panel was not aligned, and they fixed it-- took them a day. I got a P85D MS as a loaner. While the MS is great as a car, the visibility cannot be understated in the X. FWIW, i have driven nearly 2400 miles in about five weeks.

• Informative x 1
  3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Yes, I would buy it now if I didn't have an X. I had mine since May

4. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Me too, woulda got the P90D instead of 90D. All else is really great fun and it's plenty fast, just saying...... I'd buy again for sure.

• Like x 1
  5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

No. If I were you, I'd buy me an X and just keep your current vehicle... ;)

(I'm not sure what answer you're expecting to get on a Tesla forum. It's not the best place for unbiased information.)

6. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

No, get a Model S, much sexier looking car!

7. Phil Seastrand

Picked mine up in April and love every minute in it... would definitely buy again.*

* This is not to say it hasn't had issues, but the benefits far outweigh the issues.

8. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

I purchased X in December for a six month comparison. I will keep the S because it is more practical for solo driving and the P85 is snappy compared with the P90 X in standard mode. I have to use Ludicrous to get snappy takeoffs in X. I also appreciate the trunk space with the 5 seat interior of Model S. Tesla hasn't provided a parcel shelf yet for the X. (My X awaits new parts before it can be sold.)

Purchase the 100 kW battery for Model X. Those of us with 90 kW have about 220 mile 90% range after months of use. My old version "A" battery in the 2012 Model S has a 228 mile 90% range after over 60,000 miles.

Above all, examine, sit, and test drive both vehicles and make careful comparisons. Do you need the extra trunk space of Model S or the extra seats of Model X? If you want to sit higher, have a spectacular front windshield view and enjoy a bit more comfort and quiet, then the X is a great choice. For a sportier look, faster speed and great interior flexibility, then the S may be the best choice.

OT: I will wait for Model 3 production before making the final decision to buy another Tesla. I want to test drive and carefully examine how it is constructed compared with new Model S vehicles. Only then will I choose between Model 3 or a new Model S.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I think it's important to note that CR lags the a bit in terms of what is presently shipping.

Back when I got a 2015 Model S was right about the time when the S was delisted from the recommendation due to the drive inverter of previous years.

But, now it's been relisted and part of that is because the 2015's were a LOT better. I'm glad I got it.

So I would only use CR for a small part of your decision, and give most the weight to what people report lately.

• Informative x 1
  10. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

I picked up my X in April! Love it and would buy it again!

11. outie

outie Active Member

Depends how soon you need a new car. If you can wait, then wait.

For me:
    1) Ordered mid-July, delivered in late-September.
    2) Yes

12. frebay

frebay Member

I own a MS P90DL, would you still suggest getting a MX P90D? I was planning on getting a 90D or 100D since I had the performance S.

13. outie

outie Active Member

Sure, why not? As a matter of fact I'd go for MX P100DL.

14. Mo City

Mo City Member

After what's happened with AP 2.0, I wouldn't buy an S or X until the final reveal of the M3. In particular, there are breakthrough interior options that could make you regret ordering now.

15. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

Prior to buying I was scared to death of the many issues the X had. I still pulled the trigger and would do it again in a heartbeat. If you have kids definitely

Delivered sept 24. Loving it everyday.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. electricity

electricity Member

I would definetly buy again. Blows everything I had out of the water, including my porsche cayenne that was a great car. CR said the Model S was the best car ever then pulled their recommendation then gave it back. Zero credibility.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

In my opinion, the X is the best car available right now, bar none.

The S is slightly prettier and slightly faster, but the X is so much more comfortable and you can see so much more.

I have a couple minor things I need the SC to address, but I'm not worried about actual reliability in the slightest, at least for a while.

We'll have to see how the doors hold up in the long term, but they aren't that different from the standard powered lift gates, so folks might be pleasantly surprised.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. travwill

travwill Active Member

Yes love the X, but it's a "live worry" relationship as we've had issues, 'ore than any other car we've own already, and worry about it 4-10 years from now holding up...

19. rainforest

rainforest Member

Thank you for all the feedback which has been very helpful. When did you get your car?

20. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

March. Many issues, all fixed with a smile and a thank you. Buy again? Yes, because every day I'm not driving some gas car is worth it. Buy today? Not with this option set, even more expensive now.