Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Cancel Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my model Y dual motor, long range five days ago. Have been very tentative about the whole thing but as I near the end of my money back guarantee period, I'm going to keep it. No defects noted yet except for one time when the rear camera went black ( a known bug ) otherwise fit and finish are fine. It's fun to drive and the regenerative braking reminds me of downshifting with the many stick shift vehicles I've owned in the past. The intelligent cruise control is amazing and lane assist is well engineered.
Annoyances: the birds eye display is very disappointing. It seems slow, vehicles and obstacles appear on the screen at the last moment, really too late to react if you were depending on it for driving data (don't) especially virtually no input from the rear cameras and considering that the rear view mirror gives a poor view, going to take some getting used to. Integration with iphone is frustrating, I really want to use my pandora account and if it is possible, it isn't straightforward. I can load the pandora site on the browser but can't seem to play music from it. There are parts of the car that are just downright flimsy - the frunk cover and the charging port door both feel like they'd be destroyed by a strong sneeze. The enormous glass roof is probably nice for rear seat passengers but doesn't do anything for me as driver; most of the time if I look up all I see is reflection of the vehicle interior. And I fear the expense of repairs/replacement especially of tires and wheels which are vulnerable and expensive.
I had thought that even if I keep the car beyond the money back guarantee that I'd have some resell arbitrage opportunity if the demand is huge and delivery is slow, but I hear that they're quoting 4-8 weeks, so that angle probably isn't much of an option.
That's five days' report from the front lines.

Watching all the videos and reading all the horror stories is making me consider canceling my Model Y.

Tesla is now asking me to get everything in order, but I'm just not sure.

My biggest concern is that making a service appointment for all the issues I'm hearing about (which Tesla seems to acknowledge are a LOT and too many). I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest service center, and I get conflicting answers is mobile service will come to me.

I really want to get electric, but just not sure. This is an $80,000+ car in Canada which can buy me practically any other car on the market. The decision was set but now I'm getting cold feet.
Trust your gut. I had a pre-reveal M3 reservation and eventually refunded. Last fall, a salesman followed up with me and let me take one for a weekend. Some of the most fun on four wheels. M3 is lovely experience for the driver and passenger. Add kids and/or stuff... I made the right decision to pass. In my opinion, M3 really is a commute car.

Seems to me that you are 16-hours from a service center: two trips for drop and pick up.

Good luck with your decision.

Watching all the videos and reading all the horror stories is making me consider canceling my Model Y.

My biggest concern is that making a service appointment for all the issues I'm hearing about (which Tesla seems to acknowledge are a LOT and too many). I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest service center, and I get conflicting answers is mobile service will come to me.

I really want to get electric, but just not sure. This is an $80,000+ car in Canada which can buy me practically any other car on the market. The decision was set but now I'm getting cold feet.

Quite simply, yes. You will need to get things repaired and being that far from a service center will be a nightmare since mobile service won't be able to fix all of it. Only if you can get the car towed for free and you have other cars to use in the mean time would I attempt to risk it.

The other option is to plan to reject the car for any problems you find at delivery and just keep doing it until you get perfectly made one.

I took delivery of my MY - Red AWD -FSD- Long-range 3 weeks and a little over 500 miles ago. Other than some tape not being fully removed from the shipping process, it has been flawless. While I feel bad for those who have had issues with their delivery and quality, not all Model Y's suffer from these issues.

Reactions: SEndicott

I picked mine up Friday, and like you, was very hesitant after reading all the issues people were having. My husband tried to prepare me that we most likely wouldn't be coming home with it since he too was following people on Facebook. And we're over an hour from the dealership so didn't want to have to come back. Well, we got there and there was not one thing wrong with the car! We were floored! Ok, there's a minuscule smudge on one of the taillights. I can live with that because it's smaller than the size of a dime and so unnoticeable. I only noticed it because of the attention we were giving it. So, so happy with it and so glad I read StanT's post from June 15th about what to expect for the first time driving a Tesla. I would have been looking how to turn the car off as well and was more prepared for the one foot driving. Still getting used to that! Take delivery and have fun!

Reactions: SEndicott and EinSV
I'm not sure why people wouldn't cancel their Y and get a used Model X. Especially if you can get the Rule 179 deduction, if you drive primarily for business. I do, and I can get a used X once every year and take the credit... on my 3rd Tesla now (Model S P90DL then Model X P100DL+, now 2020 Model X LR+ - FWIW I'd never get performance again and would only get 7 seat, white interior). For my vehicle it was used with 2000 miles (test ride vehicle) but I got almost $9K off, then 179 credit is around $25K off. Advised other friends to do the same, just watch that inventory and prepare to pounce.
I think your amounts for a MX 179 deduction are way, way off! I believe it's more like $11,560, and even that is questionable because the MX can be used too easily as a personal vehicle.

I’ve had my model 3 for a couple months now, love it. My neighbor just took delivery on a model y 2 days ago on Monday. Besides getting a flat tire half way home from taking delivery and having Tesla toe it back to the service center, he’s had no other issues and loves the vehicle. But seriously, poor guy got a flat tire after only putting 16 miles on the thing, LOL

I share the OP's concern. I live 3 1/2 hours away from service center for pickup. What happens if I drive all the way down there, the car has issues, then what? It's not like they can fix everything on the spot, and it's not like I can just hang out for several days far from home. This stuff is easy for all you urban folks who have a Tesla center 20 minutes away. Seems different for those of us far away, and that's what the OP emphasized.
--JS

I share the OP's concern. I live 3 1/2 hours away from service center for pickup. What happens if I drive all the way down there, the car has issues, then what? It's not like they can fix everything on the spot, and it's not like I can just hang out for several days far from home. This stuff is easy for all you urban folks who have a Tesla center 20 minutes away. Seems different for those of us far away, and that's what the OP emphasized.
--JS
$10,000 worth of Uber credits? :rolleyes:

--JS

When I took delivery on my model 3 the rear right door was out of alignment. They simply marked it down and told me to schedule an appointment to get it fixed, warranty issue. Then I drove the car off. They do check most things before calling you that your car is ready. I feel like a lot of it is cosmetic issues that pop up. Been 2 months and still need to schedule the fix.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have had my M3 for over a year now, not a single issue or need to visit a service center yet. My son just got his MY two weeks ago with home delivery, not a single issue, he spent hours inspecting the car using my checkoff list and could not find a single problem even the paint was great. He is 30 min from a service center so he was not worried, but no issues. I realize there have been other issues reported by others that say they experienced more issues, but in our experience so far with an N of 1 for MY no issues, no concerns or problems with Y build quality after the shutdown.

It's been a month since my delivery of AWD long range model y.
I didn't realize there is a 7 days policy on paint issue and Tesla is not fixing it except do a lousy courtesy touch up that i'm not happy with.
The car also came with a list of issues that shouldn't really happen on a new car let alone a car that expensive.

E.g panel misalignment, wireless charger design flaw with phone with case, phone call no sound, window not scrolling up automatically due to misalignment, loud heat pipe etc.

I also heard some owner said Tesla fix their paint issue even after exceeding 7 days.
I guess Tesla just don't like me very much.

However I still love my model y despite all these unpleasant experience and I believe Tesla will fix all of your issue if you happen to have one.
Just need to remember to report paint or any cosmetic issue within 7 days, although it doesn't make sense to me if the paint issue is obviously not caused after delivery.

In my opinion..
It's a great car, i don't think you should cancel the car because of case to case incident.

Just make sure you check the car very thoroughly and report them immediately and bear with the repair process if you happen to run into issues.

"I also heard some owner said Tesla fix their paint issue even after exceeding 7 days."

And the game of Internet Telephone goes on. Here are the warranty exclusions:

Normal wear or deterioration, including, but not limited to, seat, trim and upholstery
discoloration, punctures, tears, depressions, wrinkling abrasions or other deformations, paint
and glass stone chips, and similar items;

Any corrosion or paint defects including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Corrosion from defects in non-Tesla manufactured or supplied materials or workmanship
  • causing perforation (holes) in body panels or the chassis from the inside out;
  • Surface or cosmetic corrosion causing perforation in body panels or the chassis from the
  • outside in, such as stone chips or scratches;
  • Corrosion and paint defects caused by, due to, or resulting from accidents, paint
  • matching, abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or operation of the vehicle, installation of
  • an accessory, exposure to chemical substances, or damages resulting from an act of God
  • or nature, fire, or improper storage;
You will note that the paint defects that have a cause other than from the factory, as you would expect, are excluded. There is no time limit, as latent factory defects may not be noticed till later. Look up the principle of res ipsa loquitur.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
There are plenty of owners who have had no serious issues.

But unfortunately when JD Power surveyed huge numbers of new car buyers, Tesla owners reported far above the average number of initial problems with their new cars. Don't blame it on JD Power. All they did was tabulate what the owners told them.

Sounds like part of the reason Tesla did so poorly in this survey was that plenty of owners reported multiple problems.

Reactions: Electric Steve
There are plenty of owners who have had no serious issues.

But unfortunately when JD Power surveyed huge numbers of new car buyers, Tesla owners reported far above the average number of initial problems with their new cars. Don't blame it on JD Power. All they did was tabulate what the owners told them.

Sounds like part of the reason Tesla did so poorly in this survey was that plenty of owners reported multiple problems.
I'd be interested to know if the same people had their various problems solved to their satisfaction.

I'd be interested to know if the same people had their various problems solved to their satisfaction.
I think it's easy to assume that a very high percentage of the problems do eventually get fixed, and that the same thing goes for pretty much every brand.

Some people don't mind much getting their problems sorted through even if it takes multiple dealer visits. I'm in that group so long as they give me a loaner each time. I've always accepted the fact that cutting edge tech is going to have teething problems. What's frustrating with Tesla is that so many of the issues are not with the tech - most of their build issues seem to be so basic- paint and fit and finish issues which the other manufacturers for the most part conquered years ago.

At the other end of the spectrum there are customers who start to threaten a lemon law claim the third time they have to bring their new car back to the dealer, and that's not unique to Tesla. They will say the reason they bought a new car was to avoid having to deal with problems. It's understandable. We have become spoiled with new cars that have less and less problems. Just look at the average number of problems per hundred new cars as reported by Consumer Reports now versus 10 or 15 years ago. There have been huge improvements.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I live 3 hrs from my Tesla Service center. Like so many, we have read and watched all the stories about mostly cosmetic quality issues.

yesterday I went for my Model Y AWD delivery. I got there too early to have my car ready. There was another ready waiting for the owner so my friend and I went over the exterior with a “fine tooth comb”. To me, it was near perfect. The only issue I could see was the driver side b puller trim needed to be glued or something.

Then mine came out. Maybe I am not but-picky but I did not see any paint or trim issues. I have two for sure: misaligned hood (frunk) and misaligned rear seats. The third item is a slight gap on the driver side hatch. It may well be within normal tolerance. It doesn’t bother me.

I ordered it in early February and was built on April 14: before they started installing the heat pump insulator. Today I drove 300+ miles. This is a fantastic car: fast and comfortable. The seating height for us (tall 70 yr olds) is perfect.

I believe the problems are diminishing greatly and I have every expectation Tesla will fix them to my satisfaction.