Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Copy My Wife.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....And also get a Model X?

I bought my first Tesla in April of 2019. It was a used 2013 P85. It’s been a fantastic car. It has 112k w/FUSC. No autopilot. I drive about 3000 miles/month. I installed lowering brackets and some 20” wheels to my liking and I get lots of compliments.

My wife recently picked up a 2016 P90DL. It’s fast, fun, spacious and comfortable.

I never knew how horrible the first gen seats are in my S. My nose cone never really bothered me but the refresh is obviously nicer.

I found a 16 MX 90D for $52k (negotiated). It has 70k miles,1-owner, FUSC,AP1, 7 seater, in the beautiful deep blue color that I’ve always admired.

Of course the MX is worth more than the MS. I made a short list of advantages if I made the switch:

Pros
Interior space
More seats
Better seats
AP1
AWD
Lower miles
Longer battery warranty (2024)
Nicer Color
3 Years Newer

Cons
Higher car payments
Performance: not as fast as p85
Out of warranty ( so is my S)
Scary thought of FWD issues
Would it be weird to have 2 MX ???
Unable to achieve the stance I have on MS

I’m kinda torn between the 2. My wife tells me to keep the S. But I am leaning towards the X. I know it’s biased to post in the MX section. But what are some thoughts.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Here’s how our driveway currently looks.
64FC4998-DF2E-44A4-92AF-EEEAC1744F2E.jpeg
736FB4F7-9EA0-48A1-B02F-F179CB5BB13C.jpeg

This is what happened to me. I had the M3P- and was happy as a lark until the Mrs got an X. All of a sudden I craved what was missing or lacking in the 3. She also refused to share cars so I went up and traded for another X. Now we have two. Excessive? Yes....but now I have my own X.

View attachment 483810

You could at least get a different color. I traded my 3 for an X too. But it didn’t take my wife getting one to figure it out.

I suggest OP find a newer S. I think they compliment each other. I really wanted an S, but to justify switching the replacement EV for the 3 it had to tow. Initially I thought S did tow when I started the process. If you need space you already have an X. If you need range you’ll have the S. S is cheaper, faster and I think the best looking Tesla of them all.

Maybe I’ll get one for my wife some day.

lol, i was going to get it wrapped matte metallic blue like my 3 but after seeing it in white, it grew on me and I just decided to get the same. 99% of X's around here are white so it looks like just another X, but after a few months I really am into twinning it. I pretend we're on safari whenever we take them out to the wash, or to go charge, or whenever we have to bring a lot of people places. The sayings "I keep my X's in the garage","we brought our X's to dinner", etc. never get old, too.

This is what happened to me. I had the M3P- and was happy as a lark until the Mrs got an X. All of a sudden I craved what was missing or lacking in the 3. She also refused to share cars so I went up and traded for another X. Now we have two. Excessive? Yes....but now I have my own X.

Oh wow. I remember your M3 was nicely wrapped too. I actually went the other way. My wife had the X first and I got the 3 later. The X is just too big for me.. good for the family but too big to use in commute. I like the handling of the 3 better. I do wish that it has power trunk and auto present door LOL.

Reactions: forkee
My wife and I currently have an X and a 3. In the past we've had an X and an S. (We've also had two S, and a Roadster and an S).

Given that she's got the X so we have space when we need it, I really like having the 3 - easier to park, more efficient, better steering feel, etc. But, yeah, an S or X for your car would have more space, better ride, etc.

I wrote up what I saw as the major differences between the cars HERE.

The good news is...I think you will be very happy with whichever one you choose! They are quite different, but I have loved them all.

Yes you should. I had the same issue and like Forkee - our garage will have two white Xs (when my 6 week late X arrives). I wanted the 3 for all the known reasons but I cannot find a better commuter than a performance model X - I don't think anything is close.

So copy your wife.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX

View attachment 483810
I did the same as well. I initially got the 2018 MX 100 and loved it, my wife’s lease was up (Audi Q7) and she wanted a hybrid or electric car. In MIAMI we have express lanes that can get up to $10.50 per use but are free with electric or hybrid. We recently picked up a MX long range but made sure to get different colors. Both builds are identical other than the color.
Yes I get the comments “two?” Fairly often but so what. Great car, plug it in and never visit a gas station and the tech keeps getting better.
Side note, she did not like the way the Raven drove in particular (one pedal driving and a little stiffer). I did love it so...she got mine, I got the new one.

Why get an inferior car just for variety? After having a MX it is difficult to go back. If you can afford, it get the car that you like the best. Mere appearance is secondary to function--at least for me. But the wow factor is still nice in the X. I still get comments almost every time I'm out. Had the car 2+ years and still giddy when I get in.

What are your typical passenger and cargo uses? Do you have kids in car seats where the FWD are awesome (and the kids slamming the S doors is bad), are you constantly driving people to lunch (so more seats is better), would you have the third row down constantly for cargo purposes or is the S trunk satisfying your use, is the change in battery range a factor (I can't remember the difference, maybe its close enough that it doesn't matter)...

What are your typical passenger and cargo uses? Do you have kids in car seats where the FWD are awesome (and the kids slamming the S doors is bad), are you constantly driving people to lunch (so more seats is better), would you have the third row down constantly for cargo purposes or is the S trunk satisfying your use, is the change in battery range a factor (I can't remember the difference, maybe its close enough that it doesn't matter)...
I have two young girls in car seats. My wife usually sits in the back with them and she’s crammed in the S.
During the last summer, nieces and nephews visited and I found myself short 2-3 seats quite often.

Update:

After having my P85 for 8 months. I found a buyer and sold it. Been searching long and hard and decided to go with a 2016 X 75D in Midnight Silver. I was hoping to find a deep blue X but I could not find anything within my budget. The first deep blue MX 90D that I wanted sold before I got to get my financing in order.

The only thing I think I will miss, is the performance of my p85. I guess my MX 75D will be about 1 second slower 0-60. But from what I hear, performance will be identical from 30MPH and on up. I will be picking up my new X next week.

Never thought we would be a XX household.