Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a key fob

Is the Tesla Key Fob am easential?

• Yes it is

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • It’s a nice to have

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • It’s an extravagance

Votes: 46 46.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not required by any means but it has come in handy many times for me. Valet, someone borrowing car, running down stairs without phone, etc. The RFID key is annoying, I never use that one except for emergencies.

Try it with just your phone and key cards for a while and see if these meet your needs. If not, then order the fob. No rush getting one preemptively if it turns out you can do without (and save yourself $150).

I haven't a need for one and enjoy the freedom of not having to remember to pocket another device as I leave the house. Perhaps if the fob were under $50 I might consider it just for grins.

It may depend on what kind of phone you have. When I first got my 3 two years ago I had a Motorola Moto G phone. It didn't work well as a key for the car. My wife's iphone worked fine. I eventually gave up on the Moto G as key and went strictly with the key card. I was pretty happy with that (aside from not being able to unlock the passenger side door with it) but later my wife got a new iphone and gave me her old one. The iphone works 99% of the time in unlocking the doors. I love it. So for me, a fob is not necessary, or even desired.

The key fob works 100% of the time versus the phone which is not perfect and the card is very inconvenient

I've had my car for 18 months now. The phone (iphone x) didn't work once in that 18 months. When I waited 5 seconds and tried again it worked fine.

Doesn't seem worth $150, and carrying an entire extra thing all the time, to have saved 5 seconds once.

From what I've read android phones tend to be a lot less reliable at this though so YMMV.

Reactions: rpiotro
I've appreciated the fob being for being quick and reliable, vs my crappy interim phone that takes forever to unlock. The downside is the Mrs' cat tends to walk on things she shouldn't, and has opened both the frunk and trunk several times. Not a great feeling to be greeted in the morning by the app telling you things are open!

I got one, but mainly because....

1) I'm old school and like a key fob with trunk (and frunk) buttons. Plus the Tesla key fob has passive entry.

2) I don't like connecting my phone to a car's BT for a few reasons.

3) But mostly because in the parking garage in my building at work, we need to give our keys to the parking attendant every morning. And when there's already 20+ other Model 3's on your same parking level, it's easier to locate & get my key (fob) than to sort through 20 Tesla key cards hanging in the attendant's box.

Reactions: thegooch49
I think it's worth it, and even more so now since the newer generation fobs for the Model 3 support passive unlocking. Using my phone worked about 98% of the time but on occasion I would have to wait for it to recognize my phone and pull on the handle several times. When it's raining or freezing cold outside, those extra seconds can be annoying.

Plus, the fob allows instant access to the frunk, vs. having to pull out your phone, unlock it, open the Tesla app, tap the frunk, confirm you want it to open, and then wait for it to open. It cuts back a 10 second process to a quick double tap of the fob.

It's also really nice that should the battery ever die, you can use it like you would the key card and hold it up to the pillar to authenticate that way too. Since I got the fob, I have used it exclusively over my phone so for me it's a no brainer.

It comes down to you. Can you spare $150? Is the added convenience of opening the frunk worth it to you?

Last edited:
Reactions: E Dizzle and mrau
I have the fob. it's in my wife's purse. now she doesn't have to wait for me to get to the car to open her door. this could have just as easily been done by programming her phone. $150 wasted.

only one time has my iPhone *not* unlocked the car before I pulled on the door handle. phone was in my back pocket (where I almost never put it). pulled phone out and car unlocked normally.

I carry my phone in my back pocket 99% of the time. Unfortunately this somehow blocks bluetooth from connecting as quickly so I end up either having to turn my butt around (it really does work!) or pull my phone out of my pocket.

I'm considering getting the fob to a) not look like a weirdo putting my butt up against my car before opening the door and b) so I can be lazy and not have to pull my phone out of my back pocket to get into my car.