Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My default option would have been the S, considering that I'm a young, single guy, but recently I've looked into the X and have been slowly leaning towards it.

I've loved large vehicles (particular vans) when I was little. My family's old Chevy van (where the back row of seats can turn into a BED!) was my fun ride, with so much room to move around in and can hold a crowd of people!

Eventually as I've gotten older I've faced the reality of owning a large vehicle, concerning parking, gas mileage, performance and aerodynamics, and the fact that most owners are older folks with children. Having the environment a huge priority for me I've been leaning towards small cars, are as they are easier to park, save gas, have better acceleration, and are marketed towards the younger audience.

After thinking about the upcoming Tesla Model X for a bit I realize I can finally love a large vehicle again. Sure the back-row bed doesn't exist anymore, but it still has 3 rows of seats (unlike the 'v' variant of a certain hybrid vehicle released in the U.S. made by 'T' that starts with a 'P'...)but as an EV, my fuel consumption and hybrid-esque performance worries can be eliminated. The falcon doors that's unique to the X is an intriguing feature young people can admire.

I guess I shouldn't even worry about people making fun of me for getting the X over the S when I don't even have kids. I could just be a guy who likes going on road trips and camping with friends. But the S still has plenty of cargo space and room for 5 adults...and it's also more stylish.

The only things I'm concerned about are parking (which I'm willing to put up with), and the space/price/range and performance compared to the S. I'm not too concerned with the range and performance as long as they're close to the S. But what about the space? And the price? How significant would the range and price be compared to the S?

Thoughts?

I'm with Bonnie. I, personally, can't imagine wanting or needing the X over the S in your expressed situation unless I had a frequent need to haul several adults, lots of large stuff, or to tow heavy things on a regular basis. The S is just so sexy, plenty big for almost anything you'd need and fast...not to mention available right now. That said, if you just love the bigger car then get what makes YOU happy. My wife loves sitting higher up so she can see traffic ahead better. Our kids are getting bigger and we often need to haul several people with us, so having at least one larger vehicle makes sense. So we're getting her an X. I am very content in the S and prefer the styling and size and driving experience.

Bitech,

I'm single also but have a Sig X on order. I currently drive a Roadster sport, have a GT-R, RX-7 and my beater VW sportwagen.
I have the sportwagen to be like the Model S...big cargo room...but everyonce and awhile, I run out of space. When my family comes into town or I am picking up colleagues they get crammed into the wagon. I know it doesn't happen frequently, but if you have the choice or need, then why not get the option.

I would say from what you express, the X would work. But the size and parking, price will most likely be issues.

Bitech,
Also single with an X on order. I enjoy sitting higher, live in an area where AWD is very helpful, and my parents did not find the back seat of the S easy to get in and out of. That is the wonderful nature of electric-you can get what you want instead of what you think is practical and not feel guilty!

It's not about what other people think (good or bad), but about what you want ... which vehicle do you see yourself driving? That's the one to get.

(Now I'm quoting myself ... this is not good.)

Years ago, I bought a Volvo station wagon and took a lot of grief from friends because it was such a 'mom car'. I bought it because I could load a mountain bike easily in the middle of a rack and two windsurfers on either side, along with booms and masts on top, and a ton of gear in the back of the Volvo. (I regret I have no pictures to share, but I have witnesses.) Do you know how hard that was to do on to of an SUV? Those boards aren't light!

It was surprising to see how many of the guys switched to 'mom cars' eventually. You really can't buy a car based on what others will think about how cool it is. You need to buy it for yourself and know how cool it is for you.

That said, I'm getting an X. I need the hauling capacity and occasionally need the AWD for trips to the mountains.

Years ago, I bought a Volvo station wagon and took a lot of grief from friends because it was such a 'mom car'. I bought it because I could load a mountain bike easily in the middle of a rack and two windsurfers on either side, along with booms and masts on top, and a ton of gear in the back of the Volvo. (I regret I have no pictures to share, but I have witnesses.) Do you know how hard that was to do on to of an SUV? Those boards aren't light!

It was surprising to see how many of the guys switched to 'mom cars' eventually. You really can't buy a car based on what others will think about how cool it is. You need to buy it for yourself and know how cool it is for you.

That said, I'm getting an X. I need the hauling capacity and occasionally need the AWD for trips to the mountains.

I was driving a Volvo V70R wagon when I was in my early 30's. I got grief from some until the R part of the car came out to play. That car was a total sleeper.

I just received my P85+, and I am thinking about replacing my ICE SUV now. In a similar boat, but really leaning towards just getting a stripped down 60 as my back up/Home Depot run car. There is a TON of room inside, and over the SUV, as mentioned, it's just too cool looking being a 'young 45' year old no need to have the SUV (granted no kids, no trips to mountains in Texas,, etc). Rather have two S's.

C'mon Bonnie, we know the real reason you are getting the X ... It's the ultimate vehicle to chauffeur those Canine companions of yours.

I just received my P85+, and I am thinking about replacing my ICE SUV now. In a similar boat, but really leaning towards just getting a stripped down 60 as my back up/Home Depot run car. There is a TON of room inside, and over the SUV, as mentioned, it's just too cool looking being a 'young 45' year old no need to have the SUV (granted no kids, no trips to mountains in Texas,, etc). Rather have two S's.

I replaced our family Suburban with the Model S, now that I can haul the entire family (wife & I + four boys and their luggage) on small trips. The Model S can certainly replace the bigger family soccer van, but it still has its limitations. I sold the Suburban and bought a cheap old pickup truck that I can use in my orchard instead. Cheap was the operative word, and range is an issue as most home improvement stores are ~30 miles from me (so no Ford Ranger conversions).

Model X for us gets us just a bit more cargo space than the Model S for those short vacation trips.

Have you seen this thread? (And this particular post in that thread – #28…) :rolleyes:

Best mattresses for Model S - Page 3

Exactly! I for one plan to use the X as an extra bedroom in my garage when we have people over. It is said to fit a queen size mattress on the level floor and with the car plugged in it will be nice and comfy for our guests.

The other reason for me to reserve a Model X is the ability to go the outdoors with a mountain bike thrown in the back, plus camping gear and hit the remote trails. I've been camping in the S and it's OK, but not ideal. Surface is not level nor flat (due to the folding chairs) and you bonk your head pretty easily when moving around.

Third row of seats has never been a consideration for me. If there are multiple options offered to configure the seating arrangement, I would go for four chairs (total) and a popup table, kinda like the early 70's Renault Espace:

image.jpg

Or as in the newest generation of that vehicle, the Renault Initiale concept car (minus the third row bench):

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, now that I saw the Model X in real life for the first time (Palo Alto store opening event) I doubt if you could really fit a queen size mattress. That would require 60" between the rear wheel wells.

Has anyone taken dimensions in the Model X prototype?

image.jpg

I'm also wondering if you could put a mountain bike up straight in the space where the second row seats are. That would require 72" inside clearance with the falcon doors closed. It would be extremely easy and quick to get the bike in and out.

Of coarse, it would require the seats to be removed, but it seems from the design prototype the seats don't fold anyway. As long as they're easy to remove, I'd have no problem with doing that for biking trips, etc.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We've posted pics of the slide presentation showing the space suitable for a queen size mattress. Think of it like a tardis machine. Totally bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Ok, thanks Bonnie, I've got to find those pics. I'm just starting to explore the Model X threads now that I put in my reservation :wink:

Thanks Bonnie! Probably different seats than the ones in the current version of the prototype (I can't see how those would fold perfectly flat.)

What I'm hoping for with the Model X is that many different configurations are offered for filling the back space. Not everyone needs 3rd row seats, or even 2nd row seats ;-)

Of coarse, there's always aftermarket customization...I for one like to create something really stunning, luxury RV like.