Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get trunk panel gap fixed? Scared..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long Range Model Y. Friend pointed tout trunk panel gap on delivery. Did not bother me, thought he was being to harsh. Now it kind of bothers me..

Had a service appointment today but had anxiety about it all night and morning after reading threads and horror stories about fixing gaps creates problems elsewhere...is this true? Is this a forgone conclusion? You can't fix gaps without creating others?

I've attached a few pics... Is this egregious enough of a gap to get fixed?

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20211130_101827.jpg
    20211130_101827.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 20211130_101818.jpg
    20211130_101818.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 983
It looks like the work of little kids who have not achieved the skills to assemble legos correctly.

They are the experts. It'll look great without creating other new issues.
my mobile tech said he couldn't fix a gap without taking the whole car apart as it would make everything crooked. that's the lazy excuse to not have to fix anything and with that reply I didn't want him attempting it so I left it alone. Any gap can be fixed if your specific SC is good or bad.........crap shoot

my mobile tech said he couldn't fix a gap without taking the whole car apart as it would make everything crooked. that's the lazy excuse to not have to fix anything and with that reply I didn't want him attempting it so I left it alone. Any gap can be fixed if your specific SC is good or bad.........crap shoot
I was told this by a sales advisor, not a tech. This is exactly what gave me pause..Between losing my M3 and the 3 visits Ive already had to the SC, Im just kind of over taking it in. But yes, thank you all the responses. I called and talked to a tech on the phone and shared my hesitations and anexities and he said fixing panel gaps is something that they do (LOL) and have plenty of positive results with and to bring it in.

So I'm just going to bring it in tomorrow with no appointment, as I had one today and rescheduled, so they're already prepared for it.

I wouldn't recommend body works with a Tesla mobile. We need all the specialty tools and skills from the stationary shop.

LR MY as well. I don't have the vertical gap problem as shown in your pictures but the bottom edge of my liftgate is not totally flush with the bumper. I've been living with it for now; it's about 3/16 inch uneven. I think I tried adjusting the bump-stops but it didn't really help.

I had a minor gap in the trunk June 2020 MY LR.

I did the first service a month ago and asked the service center to fix it along with change air filters, check HVAC replacement thing, and install a hitch.

If you can wait and batch it with a service center stop it's not too bad. I did have to get a loaner for 2 days while they did all of this.

Long Range Model Y. Friend pointed tout trunk panel gap on delivery. Did not bother me, thought he was being to harsh. Now it kind of bothers me..

Had a service appointment today but had anxiety about it all night and morning after reading threads and horror stories about fixing gaps creates problems elsewhere...is this true? Is this a forgone conclusion? You can't fix gaps without creating others?

I've attached a few pics... Is this egregious enough of a gap to get fixed?

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
I’m curious if they are going to charge you. I also have a trunk gap on the left side that’s huge on my wife’s 21 LR. They want to charge me $126 at my local service center since they claim Tesla policy is they will only fix gaps for free within 3 days or 100 miles. They did say if the gap was excessive or beyond their tolerances they wouldn’t charge but I’m sure it’s their judgment and not mine on that. This vehicle is 7 months old and has 5k miles. It’s just one of those things where I saw that gap on day one but I read the horror stories at the time of new gaps being created when trying to fix existing ones. We decided we’d live with it but now we’ve had a change of heart although I’m still concerned, not only for being charged, but that they won’t make new gaps while fixing this one.

I think if your issues were reported at the time 100 miles or so, they should cover it. Wife's LR we reported the issues early but didn't take it in for service till months later with 2k miles on it. The appointment was weeks out to start with but kept rescheduling/pushing out till we were ready to drop off the car.

I’m curious if they are going to charge you. I also have a trunk gap on the left side that’s huge on my wife’s 21 LR. They want to charge me $126 at my local service center since they claim Tesla policy is they will only fix gaps for free within 3 days or 100 miles. They did say if the gap was excessive or beyond their tolerances they wouldn’t charge but I’m sure it’s their judgment and not mine on that. This vehicle is 7 months old and has 5k miles. It’s just one of those things where I saw that gap on day one but I read the horror stories at the time of new gaps being created when trying to fix existing ones. We decided we’d live with it but now we’ve had a change of heart although I’m still concerned, not only for being charged, but that they won’t make new gaps while fixing this one.

I think if your issues were reported at the time 100 miles or so, they should cover it. Wife's LR we reported the issues early but didn't take it in for service till months later with 2k miles on it. The appointment was weeks out to start with but kept rescheduling/pushing out till we were ready to drop off the car.
I reported it when I got the car. One of the advisors adjusted some of the stoppers and said it was good to go and I didn't feel like arguing with the guy. I mentioned this in my comments and that it was a 2nd attempt.

I scheduled this before my roatrip, and then I delayd it because I was having a little anexiety about it (hence this thread). I now regret delaying it, hopefully the added miles from the road-trip wont effect them wanting to charge me.

I reported it when I got the car. One of the advisors adjusted some of the stoppers and said it was good to go and I didn't feel like arguing with the guy. I mentioned this in my comments and that it was a 2nd attempt.

I scheduled this before my roatrip, and then I delayd it because I was having a little anexiety about it (hence this thread). I now regret delaying it, hopefully the added miles from the road-trip wont effect them wanting to charge me.
Since it has been logged in before and they tried to resolve and failed. I don't think they will charge you for another repair. They shouldn't, because they didn't correct this issue in your previous service.

Ive been told its by design and not supposed to be flush.

Really?? Source [SA or Technician]? Very interesting if so - because it's uneven, after a rain shower or me hosing off the car, water and soot accumulate on the tiny "shelf" in between the bottom of the tailgate and rear bumper and I figure if everything was flush that wouldn't happen. Nothing that a quick swipe with a MF towel can't fix though...