Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I purchase the 2 year or 4 year extended warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
My car reaches 4 years of ownership on the 28th of June this year. I am torn about weather or not to buy the extended warranty.

my car is only at 32,500 miles and is going in for the 4 year annual service on June 18th (which coincidentally was my original delivery date 4 years ago, but i was travelling at the time and picked up my car on the 28th instead)

until recently I figured I would get the extended warranty because I have had a few door handle issues over the past four years (tho none in the past year) and I know out of warranty repair costs used to be $1000 a pop, tho I have heard this has come down in recent times.

Then there is the MCU failure rate. If it still costs $4500 to replace a failed MCU out of warranty, and mine happens to fail, the extended warranty cost is a wash. does anyone know if the cost to replace the mcu has gone down?

then there is my Pano roof. it has had some work on it in the past four years, by Tesla service, tho none in the past year.

That said, the pano roof doesn't get much use during nyc winter and I have only been using it regularly over the past 2-3 weeks after what felt like a rather long winter. it may need more work soon.. who knows..

a few final points:

my tesla dashboard quotes $2,100 for the 2-year extended warranty or $4250 as the 4 year extended warranty price. This is IIRC the "new car 1st 180 days of ownership" price, so i may in fact be charged $2600 and $4750 or whatever is the after 180 days of ownership when I try to buy either, but for now it looks like I will get a small discount.

also...

In the past 4 years I have had 8 rather major accidents with my car. I was at fault in none of them but 5 of them required a police report. one of which was a "hit and run" with an uninsured driver so the repair was covered by my own insurance, and then most recently my car was hit while parked in a private parking lot and again who ever hit me ran off and i found my car all banged up/so my insurance covered the cost of this repair as well. i tried to get a police report for this accident while parked but learned the hard way that the cops don't issue police reports in -- in NY State at least -- if your car gets hit on private property.

all of this to say that I don't know how much my 2015 S85D with 33,200 miles is currently worth. The car was returned to me 3 weeks ago "like new" and still has the new car smell.. but I wonder if i am one Tesla-fender-bender-which-costs-$12,000-to repair away from being "totalled." if this is the case, it may not be worth it to spend $4,200 to insure the warranty repairs for the next 4 years.

I think i need to look into the KBB value of my beloved car...

finally,as much as I want the extra range of the latest S100D (or whatever they are calling it now) 265 miles at 100% that my car once had vs 370 at 100% that the new S100D has) the Model S no longer comes with the option of a pano roof. this remains a deal-breaker for me particularly now during the glorious summer months when my pano roof is mostly in the open position. so, fate allowing, i will keep my car chugging along for another 4 years b/c there is currently no new BEV with a sun roof (or free supercharging) that interests me -- and so may need the extended warranty. but if my car gets totalled 6 months from now due to too many accidents, what is the point of having the extended warranty. i heard this is refundable, but i'm confused how this would work.

i'd appreciate your advice on what to do here.. i have roughly 50 days to decide, tho i will be pulling the trigger (or not) on this extended warranty before June 28th, 2019.

If you don’t use the ESA at all (make no claims), I believe it’s refundable at 100% or maybe pro-rated over time, but I can’t recall now. It’s in the contract terms.

Yeah, that's how I justified buying the 4 year ESA. Either it'll pay for itself (MCU replacement) or I can get some money back if I sell the car sooner than 4 years (or maybe it'll help with resale value).

That is unbelievably bad luck, sorry to hear it.

It happens when you have valet services parking your car miles from your home or office. but you can't beat the service for the convenience. they paid for repairs in all instances of course... but not diminished value which I was (I guess) too lazy to go after them (or the at-fault party) for.

both of these companies no longer provide this service i'm sad to say.

all of this to say that I don't know how much my 2015 S85D with 33,200 miles is currently worth. The car was returned to me 3 weeks ago "like new" and still has the new car smell.. but I wonder if i am one Tesla-fender-bender-which-costs-$12,000-to repair away from being "totalled." if this is the case, it may not be worth it to spend $4,200 to insure the warranty repairs for the next 4 years.

I think i need to look into the KBB value of my beloved car...

If you wanna do a trade in (which you shouldn't), Tesla will offer you about $28k. (which is why you shouldn't)

Checking out your sig, yours seems to be a very well optioned car. Assuming you also have Autopilot and just didn't list it in your sig, and also considering this would be an out of warranty car, I think you can expect about $36-40k on a private sale. If you're patient enough, I think you can get 40k.

Generally private sale is the way to go. But I don't know, is that still true for a car that's been in 8 accidents? How many of them show up on carfax? I would think that for most private buyers, buying a Tesla is somewhat of an unknown quantity due to how different it is compared to other vehicles. But buying a Tesla with 8 accidents, that's a huge unknown quantity!

Generally private sale is the way to go. But I don't know, is that still true for a car that's been in 8 accidents? How many of them show up on carfax? I would think that for most private buyers, buying a Tesla is somewhat of an unknown quantity due to how different it is compared to other vehicles. But buying a Tesla with 8 accidents, that's a huge unknown quantity!

Yeah you're right, I somehow didn't consider the accidents. It all depends on what shows up on Carfax. And I'm sure it'd affect the trade in offer through Tesla as well.

So I just checked carfax... the news is not terrible.

it lists the 2 accidents (tho only one of these 2 was extremely costly to repair.) 1. the hit and run by the uninsured driver, and another really not major damage accident where the airbags deployed.

when I checked KBB yesterday it was giving me $43,997 for trade in, or $48,889 private party.

Carfax quotes: $42,390 retail, $36,320 trade-in, and $40,690 for private party.

actually better than I had anticipated.

I owe roughly $20,000 on the car and pay 1.75% interest on this money...

I wonder if I should trade it in and get an inventory 100D with pano roof and free supercharging.

i'd be giving up leather seats, the original blue color which i love, but i'd be gaining 35 miles of range, LTE connectivity (my current car only has 3G), AP 2.something, 48 Amp charging vs 40 which i have now...

my car payment would certainly drop, which is always a plus... and i get to keep my pano roof, which I heard recently that is no longer available as an off menu option.. tho i cannot confirm it.

now i have to figure out how trade ins work if u still owe money on yr car...

edited to add: and i'd be resetting the clock on the warranty effectively saving roughly $4000.00