Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trade my 2015 WRX for a 2022 M3 RWD ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum and would appreciate it if members could share some thoughts. Never own an EV before, but a few things got me interested/thinking about getting the M3 RWD:
1- my current MY15 WRX CVT pump is leaking and told that it needs to be replaced within six months for about AUD $2000.
2- our local government is throwing out a $3000 rebate + free stamp duty (worth about $2500) for any new EV under a certain price range (which means the M3 RWD)
3- have my own garage now that I could charge EV overnight.

I test drove a 2022 build a couple of days ago but didn't really get a good feel of it, local traffic was heavy and the street speed limit was 60km/hr.
I didn't really get that shove in the back feel that every Tesla owner talks about, but maybe the car was in chill mode? (didn't get to check, the sales assistant was already in a holiday mood and wasn't that helpful).

Figure wise, WRX CVT is quoted 0-100km/hr in 6.3 sec and M3 RWD in 6.1 sec, not that it matters that much driving in Sydney traffic but I am wondering if there is any M3 RWD owners who have also driven WRX (or similar) in the past could share some thoughts? I am in two minds about whether to keep or trade-in the WRX, would it make a world of difference, or would I be throwing away hard-earned dough?

I never owned a WRX, but years ago I owned a car with somewhat similar specs. It was an Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. Full time all wheel drive and 200 hp. It did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. Fully independent front and rear suspension. So, less HP than your WRX but otherwise, quite similar. It was, until my M3, the best car I ever owned, and the most fun to drive. BUT, having owned a long range AWD M3 for just over a year now, I have to say that the M3 is far and away a better car and more fun. So, yes, get the M3, but I think you'll be happier if you can afford the LR version instead, because, with all that power AWD makes a huge difference. I once drove someone else's Eagle Talon Tsi, but it didn't have all wheel drive and the difference in handling was significant.

Reactions: chrstna4
I came from nothing but BMW's for the last 20 years. 3's, 4's and 5's and I will never go back. I can't speak for the model 3 you are looking at, I only have driven the performance but I did about 2 years of research before pulling the trigger and everyone speaks about the acceleration on all models so I would assume chill mode or even valet mode in the one you drove? You would be hard pressed to find someone in this forum to recommend against the move😉

Reactions: Stan930
Before buying my 2018 Tesla P3D, I owned a 2016 Subaru WRX. The only two things I miss from my Subaru are the 6-speed manual and the rear visibility . The side mirrors and rear window offer much better rear visibility in the Subaru. I loved the Harmon Kardon sound system in the Subaru, but the premium system in the Tesla is just as good. And given that premium fuel where I live costs $5.25 a gallon, I certainly do not miss fueling up the Subaru.

I test drove the M3 (LR I think) on the streets of Brooklyn, and a congested part of Brooklyn at that. You could barely go the 25mph speed limit. There was one stretch right near the showroom though next to the docks that was empty and I floored it there to get a feel. I put my order in for the SR+ knowing that it wouldn't be as fast but when I go it the car is still so much faster than anything I've had before that it didn't matter. As for handling, some say the SR+ has better handling because it is lighter. I couldn't say if it is better but it handles better than anything I've driven before too. And with the acceleration once you are moving the acceleration is pretty immediate, it is only from a full stop that you feel the lag.

I sold my 2014 VW GTI for a Model 3 RWD about 4 weeks ago. Gti is claimed somewhere in the low 6s but I had it tuned so no idea how fast it actually was. It was a quick car but the Model 3 is far superior. Hard to tell weather it’s actually faster or slower due to lack of a fairly loud exhaust and no DSG banging through gears but the responsiveness of acceleration makes the car so much faster in daily use. I also claimed the stamp duty rebate and $3k rebate.

Of course get the M3! 😊🙃
Of course get the M3! 😊🙃
I sold my 2014 VW GTI for a Model 3 RWD about 4 weeks ago. Gti is claimed somewhere in the low 6s but I had it tuned so no idea how fast it actually was. It was a quick car but the Model 3 is far superior. Hard to tell weather it’s actually faster or slower due to lack of a fairly loud exhaust and no DSG banging through gears but the responsiveness of acceleration makes the car so much faster in daily use. I also claimed the stamp duty rebate and $3k rebate.
Yeah, in my WRX, I am so used to of that 1-2 sec wait before the turbo kicks in, guess none of that in the M3.

I never owned a WRX, but years ago I owned a car with somewhat similar specs. It was an Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. Full time all wheel drive and 200 hp. It did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. Fully independent front and rear suspension. So, less HP than your WRX but otherwise, quite similar. It was, until my M3, the best car I ever owned, and the most fun to drive. BUT, having owned a long range AWD M3 for just over a year now, I have to say that the M3 is far and away a better car and more fun. So, yes, get the M3, but I think you'll be happier if you can afford the LR version instead, because, with all that power AWD makes a huge difference. I once drove someone else's Eagle Talon Tsi, but it didn't have all wheel drive and the difference in handling was significant.
I msg the sales assistant asking for another test drive and this time with the LR AWD as well. I could stretch the budget for the AWD, but would have a hard time convincing the logical part of my brain. I only cover 30km daily, fastest limit of the route is only about 80km/hr (50mph), never snows in Sydney, Australia (occasional hailstorm size of golf balls!) and missing the rebate. I could imagine already that it’s going to be a tough call after testing the AWD.

Before buying my 2018 Tesla P3D, I owned a 2016 Subaru WRX. The only two things I miss from my Subaru are the 6-speed manual and the rear visibility . The side mirrors and rear window offer much better rear visibility in the Subaru. I loved the Harmon Kardon sound system in the Subaru, but the premium system in the Tesla is just as good. And given that premium fuel where I live costs $5.25 a gallon, I certainly do not miss fueling up the Subaru.
Where I live, premium 98 costs about $1.9 per L or around $ 7 per gallon (if my math works?). This is another reason for me to switch, WRX drinks like a fish.

New to this forum and would appreciate it if members could share some thoughts. Never own an EV before, but a few things got me interested/thinking about getting the M3 RWD:
1- my current MY15 WRX CVT pump is leaking and told that it needs to be replaced within six months for about AUD $2000.
2- our local government is throwing out a $3000 rebate + free stamp duty (worth about $2500) for any new EV under a certain price range (which means the M3 RWD)
3- have my own garage now that I could charge EV overnight.

I test drove a 2022 build a couple of days ago but didn't really get a good feel of it, local traffic was heavy and the street speed limit was 60km/hr.
I didn't really get that shove in the back feel that every Tesla owner talks about, but maybe the car was in chill mode? (didn't get to check, the sales assistant was already in a holiday mood and wasn't that helpful).

Figure wise, WRX CVT is quoted 0-100km/hr in 6.3 sec and M3 RWD in 6.1 sec, not that it matters that much driving in Sydney traffic but I am wondering if there is any M3 RWD owners who have also driven WRX (or similar) in the past could share some thoughts? I am in two minds about whether to keep or trade-in the WRX, would it make a world of difference, or would I be throwing away hard-earned dough?
If your plan is to avoid the repair on the WRX by replacing it with a new M3, have you factored wait time on new Tesla orders? My parents just ordered an M3 LR in Queensland and it is expected in April.

@MAXPOiNT I think you're right to focus on the SR+/RWD, with that driving you really wouldn't get much benefit from the LR AWD, and it sounds like the government incentives in Australia greatly increase the price difference.

Btw your WRX turbo lag might feel worse because of the CVT...it's probably compounded by transmission delay. I never drove a CVT WRX but I once drove a slushbox automatic Subaru with the WRX engine and turbo lag felt horrible compared to the same exact car with a stick shift (Legacy GT). CVT could be better, in theory, but would really depend on how the CVT is programmed.

@MAXPOiNT I owned a 2012 Subaru WRX hatchback and absolutely loved it! The rumble of the boxer engine, the manual transmission, and the utility of a wagon. I had my WRX for just over 2 and a half years before I made the mistake of test driving my friend's 2020 Long Range Model 3 on my favorite driving road. After driving the long range I only had the restraint to wait 2 weeks before I put in my order. I ended up selling my WRX for thousands more than I paid for it as it was low mileage and still stock minus the stereo and exhaust. Before my WRX I owned a 2008 Corvette but needed more practicality, it's also way thirstier than a WRX. The M3 LR beats them both hands down in every category but noise. The standard range M3 is going to be slower than the Long Range, but it's still quicker than the WRX as there is no shifting. It's just straight torque. I think you'll be pleased with the SR+ M3. Your pros are the rebate, minimal maintenance (tire rotation, wiper fluid, brakes at 300K+ kilometers), quick car, no gas, and surprisingly good steering). After a week of driving my M3 I realized I made the right choice and honestly wished I had of done it a year sooner. If you're still undecided, see if you can rent a M3 SR+ on turo for a weekend. After a weekend, you'll have no doubt. Hope this helps, I'll be excited to see what you decide.

View attachment 748430

Thanks to all your inputs, screw another test drive, just put an order down for a white M3 RWD, black interior. Boxing day gift to myself I suppose. Wait time 14-20 weeks. Hopefully my WRX CVT will survive till then. This would be my first RWD and an EV, all others were turbo AWDs: two Subarus and an Audi.

Will share my thoughts once I took delivery and became an official Tesla owner.

Thanks to all your inputs, screw another test drive, just put an order down for a white M3 RWD, black interior. Boxing day gift to myself I suppose. Wait time 14-20 weeks. Hopefully my WRX CVT will survive till then. This would be my first RWD and an EV, all others were turbo AWDs: two Subarus and an Audi.

Congratulations! You will be very happy, I'm sure. I have a 2018 LR RWD, and I think it's really unfortunate that that particular combination isn't made any more. Handles great, even in snow, and excellent energy economy. Just be aware, as you have a shorter range battery, that extreme temperatures and high speed will eat up range. Otherwise, enjoy!!

Reactions: MAXPOiNT
Get the Model 3.
Also, shame on Subaru for saddling a "performance" car with a CVT.
Subaru's CVTs are at least better than their slushboxes, in my limited experience with each. The Impreza CVTs I've driven were quicker to "shift" (change ratios) and not as rubbery as their 4EAT and 5EAT slushboxes.

Subaru slushboxes are a low bar of course, and for sure I'd rather have a manual than any kind of automatic (CVT or otherwise). I've also never driven a Subaru with CVT + turbo. In the LGT/OBXT the 5EAT + 2.5L turbo combo was AWFUL compared to 5MT + 2.5L turbo, seriously felt like it was down 75whp or something, and it hugely exacerbated turbo lag and was slow to downshift. The 5EAT did have a better AWD system than any of their 5MT setups (on paper at least, I never drove a 5EAT car in the snow), but the STI 6MT AWD is even better (as long as you don't care about efficiency :cool: ).

Last edited:

Congrats! I think you'll enjoy it just as much as your WRX. I've owned 3 STi's prior to owning Teslas and there are definitely a few things I miss as others mentioned (stick shift, engine/exhaust noise, handling). However, the other items out-weigh it so I can't really ever go back. I still find myself searching for used STI's pices from time to time, but then remember the maintenance along with other costs associated with owning them.

One thing I love is that I can just romp on the car anytime, no more baby-ing it until it's warmed up. No more thoughts around, "I guess I shouldn't push it too mujch since I've been pushing it a lot lately..." etc.

I do however worry about long term ownership of a Tesla, which is why I've never owned one a long time. Being that you can't just buy any part from Tesla, and some of the repair costs prices I've seen on older Model S's (makes my STi repairs feel like pocket change), I don't know if I would ever keep it long term. But that's just me since I usually did all the repair/maintenance on my STi's myself.