Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I try and wait out for an MCU 2 to replace my MCU1?

Hold out hope for MCU2 or replace now with MCU 1.5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have seen my posts our MCU1 in our 2015 Model S died a few weeks ago. Have an appointment to replace it next week with a brand new MCU 1.5. Way past warranty coverage and the cost of the new MCU 1.5 is the same as the MCU2, $2500. Since we're shelter in place due to COVID-19 we're ok with one car for the next few weeks at least if not longer. Our Model S is still capable of being driven and capable of charging and holding a charge plugged in inside our garage.

Wondering if I should just cancel our appointment for next week and hold out hope that Tesla will begin installing the MCU2 in cars with MCU1 AP sometime in April. Since our Model S can still charge and is not being driven is there any danger of the car getting worse and becoming completely inoperable? If I'm going to spend $2500 rather get an MCU2. Wife primarily drives the S and is ok with losing fm/am/xm radio.

Thoughts on holding out?

Dude. You have to WAIT if you can. MCU2 is far superior to MCU1, and you Tesla will feel brand new once again... Don't waste money on MCU1 unless you absolutely to have your Tesla back ASAP...

MCU2 will also give you new features in the future even if you have no use for them (like the video games, and YouTube). There may be more coming that you may want to use.

Dude. You have to WAIT if you can. MCU2 is far superior to MCU1, and you Tesla will feel brand new once again... Don't waste money on MCU1 unless you absolutely to have your Tesla back ASAP...

MCU2 will also give you new features in the future even if you have no use for them (like the video games, and YouTube). There may be more coming that you may want to use.

Leaning in that direction just don't want the car to degrade to the point where it can't charge and becomes inoperable.

I'd wait for however long the car is not needed. Also, if you're feeling comfortable with taking out the MCU and mailing the board to one of the folks here who repair MCUs, it might be worth a try to see if your MCU can just be fixed for few hundred dollars instead. That would let you drive however long Tesla takes to make MCU2 available (could be months or years), if you still want to pay for it of course. IIRC @EV-Fixme won't charge you (other than shipping if you want it back) if they cannot recover your board.

Reactions: Akikiki and KyleDay
...if you're feeling comfortable with taking out the MCU and mailing the board to one of the folks here who repair MCUs, it might be worth a try to see if your MCU can just be fixed ...
I would think that if you go to the trouble to take the dash apart, put it back together and coordinate with a third party you might as well spend the money to buy a used MCU2 and have a third party move the files over. Probably saves $1000 as well.

I would think that if you go to the trouble to take the dash apart, put it back together and coordinate with a third party you might as well spend the money to buy a used MCU2 and have a third party move the files over. Probably saves $1000 as well.
Fixing MCU 1 - $500 + some time ($100 + time if you do it yourself). Self MCU2 upgrade >$2,000 easy, and no easy transfer of profiles, or even the new MCU connecting to your profile / phone-app.

Reactions: Missile Toad
Well, these days... nothing is a sure thing. In the same shoes, I would hold out for MCU2 like kdday suggested. But considering things are slower and not on the timetable they were a month ago, it could be months before they will do a '15 for MCU2. You could consider using the videos and pulling the Tegra board yourself and sending it to TonyT like whitex suggested. The car is sitting in the garage anyway, right? Won't hurt for it to be down anyway for 7-10 days.

The MCU1 at Tesla has dropped in cost recently from $2500 to $1300. But ask TonyT how much his eMMC replacement would cost you. All these things will help you make best choice.

whitex, MCU2 is $2500 plus tax. My '17 is on the SC having it done right now.

Last edited:
whitex, MCU2 is $2500 plus tax. My '17 is on the SC having it done right now.
Yes, that is if you pay Tesla whenever the upgrade does become available for the OP. I was commenting on Krash's suggestion to retrofit a used one and somehow save thousands (not sure how that's possible given the MCU2's + IC2 are still hard to come by on used market, so they hold their price, and the retrofit would require paying someone who really knows how to hack it in, without Tesla's official retrofit kit).

Reactions: Akikiki

How would you do this without a root and/or a knowledge of a person who is capable of moving the files locally?
Or can it be done easily without any root?

Leaning in that direction just don't want the car to degrade to the point where it can't charge and becomes inoperable.

Hi, we can help you recover mcu1 if the certificates on the chip are still readable. MCU2 upgrades may be available in April for AP1 cars, but you will have to just take a chance to see if that offer is ontime. Feel free to PM me if your interested in having your MCU checked to see if the eMMC is recoverable.

When you say MCU 1.5, do you mean MCU1 with LTE?

I didn't wait. You should know by now that Tesla NEVER meets a deadline and most of the time doesn't even come close.

In any case, I replaced my black screen last week. At the SvC, they said they had no idea wihen an MCU1/AP1 car would or could be upgraded to a MCU2. Another issue to consider is you will lose your AM/FM radio, if that matters to you.

When you say MCU 1.5, do you mean MCU1 with LTE?

I didn't wait. You should know by now that Tesla NEVER meets a deadline and most of the time doesn't even come close.

In any case, I replaced my black screen last week. At the SvC, they said they had no idea wihen an MCU1/AP1 car would or could be upgraded to a MCU2. Another issue to consider is you will lose your AM/FM radio, if that matters to you.
My comment that it is a MCU 1.5 is feedback @EV-Fixme provided in my post where I shared the invoice estimate. The part number provided was not a remanufactured MCU1 but brand new. Since MCU1s are no longer being made I guess that is why it is considered a MCU 1.5. Maybe @EV-Fixme can provide more insight on that. My 11/2015 build Model S did have LTE already when we originally bought it.