Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD transfer: What's the current installation rate of HW4 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can find out what your car will get from a private sale for your area on Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds. Also, those other car buying places will give you a number when you will in all yours cars information. But yes you will always get more when selling your car instead of trading it in, but it can be time consuming waiting for a buyer and you could end up showing it to a lot of people, given them test drives and I believe there is another form you have fill with your DMV to fully release the vehicle, besides signing over the title. It's way easier to just take a small loss and let do all the paperwork for you. But if you do decide to sell it on your own, don't accept cash or even a money order. You could end up with counterfeit cash or a fake money order. Have them go to your bank with you and have the money transferred directly into you account. One other annoying thing when selling a car on your own is that if it's an ICE vehicle, it has to be smogged for the sale but not when trading it in. Not that we have to worry about that with a Tesla. Also if at all possible try to sell your old car as close as possible toward the end of its registration date, because the DMV doesn't refund any portion of it, even if you just paid that fee. Of course some of this could be a little different in your state.

Thanks for the suggestions. I received quotes from Tesla at around 25k and Carmax 27k. So, am thinking to trade-in with Tesla though a couple of thousand less if they are handling all paperwork etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I received quotes from Tesla at around 25k and Carmax 27k. So, am thinking to trade-in with Tesla though a couple of thousand less if they are handling all paperwork etc.
I'm pretty sure places like Carmax or Carvana do all the paperwork for you too, it's just private sales where you have to do the paperwork yourself. Plus, you can trust that the form of payment from those places is legit, unlike with a private sale.

I'm pretty sure places like Carmax or Carvana do all the paperwork for you too, it's just private sales where you have to do the paperwork yourself. Plus, you can trust that the form of payment from those places is legit, unlike with a private sale.

Am getting a better offer with Carvana. But, does anyone have any recent experience of selling their Tesla vehicles with them? Especially since they had so many finaicial issues.

I gather that I will need to keep my old M3 with FSD, accept the new MY and have the FSD transfer (any idea how long does it take?). Once the FSD is transferred from my old M3 to new MY, then I can sell the old M3... is this right or did I miss a step.

Also, if I am selling to Carvana, how do I delete my personal info from the car etc.??

Hello All,

Thanks for your inputs. I finally made the decision and sold my 2018 Model-2 and bought the Model Y LR and took it's delivery a couple of days back.
It sure is a huge car with a ton of space for people and cargo compared to Model-2, happy every bit.

Thanks again!!