Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD transfer: What's the current installation rate of HW4 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just don't sell your 3 until the FSD has been transferred....
I'm actually keeping my Model 3, so no concerns there. Just got an email back from Tesla saying this:

"Apologies if this is causing any frustration but please not that every case is different. We have confirmation from our headquarters that this will transfer. Some customers are experiencing delays due to pending software updates.
Please refer to the link below for more information on FSD transfers:

Very strange for them to link me to this page considering it literally provides guidance that I should have received my FSD transfer already...

1693320938934.png

Last edited:
I'm actually keeping my Model 3, so no concerns there. Just got an email back from Tesla saying this:

"Apologies if this is causing any frustration but please not that every case is different. We have confirmation from our headquarters that this will transfer. Some customers are experiencing delays due to pending software updates.
Please refer to the link below for more information on FSD transfers:

Very strange for them to link me to this page considering it literally provides guidance that I should have received my FSD transfer already...

View attachment 969235
Is FSD included in your purchase agreement?

Is FSD included in your purchase agreement?
When I placed my order for the Model Y, I included FSD as were the instructions at the time. During the process, I got an email that I had to re-agree to purchase agreement and at that point they removed FSD. When I asked why they told me the process changed and no longer was FSD required to be on the original order.

I logged into my Tesla account yesterday to check the MVPA (purchase agreement, not order agreement) and it is not on my account! I emailed Tesla asking if they could send me my purchase agreement as it appears I only see my order agreement on my vehicle page under documents. Haven't gotten a response yet.

1693327200894.png

• Informative
Reactions: GoodManFrank
When I placed my order for the Model Y, I included FSD as were the instructions at the time. During the process, I got an email that I had to re-agree to purchase agreement and at that point they removed FSD. When I asked why they told me the process changed and no longer was FSD required to be on the original order.

I logged into my Tesla account yesterday to check the MVPA (purchase agreement, not order agreement) and it is not on my account! I emailed Tesla asking if they could send me my purchase agreement as it appears I only see my order agreement on my vehicle page under documents. Haven't gotten a response yet.

View attachment 969263
Seems like you're in the new order process.

I got mine delivered 7/30. FSD appeared on both of my order agreement & purchase agreement (and I have a $15500 'refer bonus'). They changed the process shortly after and I know now the agreement doesn't include FSD any more.

Agree this shouldn't happen :( Maybe you need to call them a few more times to figure everything out. Gook luck and let us know how it works!

Seems like you're in the new order process.

I got mine delivered 7/30. FSD appeared on both of my order agreement & purchase agreement (and I have a $15500 'refer bonus'). They changed the process shortly after and I know now the agreement doesn't include FSD any more.

Agree this shouldn't happen :( Maybe you need to call them a few more times to figure everything out. Gook luck and let us know how it works!
Sounding like they are pretty sick of me at this point and just giving me answers that blanket cover them. I will wait another couple of weeks before I reach out again.

My VIN:
7SAYGDEE9PF85xxxx

That’s Fremont. I got it from inventory. I’m pretty certain that is HW4, right? But what about matrix headlights? Because it’s from Fremont it has them? Appreciate any confirmations on this.

I’ll be transferring my FSD from my 2019 M3. Hoping that goes well, but I don’t really care when it actually gets activated. I don’t really use it much right now. I do really like the enhanced auto pilot features, and the stopping at stop signs and red lights. Looking forward to my new MY!

My VIN:
7SAYGDEE9PF85xxxx

That’s Fremont. I got it from inventory. I’m pretty certain that is HW4, right? But what about matrix headlights? Because it’s from Fremont it has them? Appreciate any confirmations on this.

I’ll be transferring my FSD from my 2019 M3. Hoping that goes well, but I don’t really care when it actually gets activated. I don’t really use it much right now. I do really like the enhanced auto pilot features, and the stopping at stop signs and red lights. Looking forward to my new MY!
It almost definitely has both HW4 and Matrix. You'd have to find a really old build to not get HW4/Matrix from Fremont. I believe only the Houston cars have the non-matrix headlights as of now.

Good luck with the FSD transfer - its been a crap shoot for me. Like you said though, im not necessarily in a rush for it, i just want to make sure it happens. In fact, I use it a bit in my Model 3 and other features tied to it like going more than 5mph above speed limit. So I'm good with the Model 3 having it as long as possible as long as Tesla confirms it'll transfer, which they have.

Reactions: dansev
It almost definitely has both HW4 and Matrix. You'd have to find a really old build to not get HW4/Matrix from Fremont. I believe only the Houston cars have the non-matrix headlights as of now.

Good luck with the FSD transfer - its been a crap shoot for me. Like you said though, im not necessarily in a rush for it, i just want to make sure it happens. In fact, I use it a bit in my Model 3 and other features tied to it like going more than 5mph above speed limit. So I'm good with the Model 3 having it as long as possible as long as Tesla confirms it'll transfer, which they have.
Thanks for that confirmation. I don't think it's a super old build. It just appeared on the inventory site yesterday and I snatched it up. 100% identical build to what I wanted, and a $2,100 discount. Factor in the tax incentives and FSD transfer (which realistically saved me $6,000, not $15,000 as I'd never pay that, but could not live without EAP features) and I'm pretty happy. Although loss of USS is a real bummer.

In thinking more about this...is there any way I can find out if it is a really old build? That would really be bad if it's not HW4!

Wife is looking to get a YLR next week. I'm going to transfer the FSD in my 2018 M3 to her Y. The 9/30/23 deadline looms large. Does anybody have advice as to whether we should pick up one of the Y's locally in inventory or order a Y from the factory in order to ensure that it has HW4? When ordering on the Tesla site it says Sept/Oct for delivery. Does anybody in the TMC Community have a good feel for how long it takes to get a YLR delivered? Definitely want to transfer the FSD to wife's car as I think ultimately that package would be more of value in her car.

Just to your last point in your email to Tesla. My Y is still on 2023.20.200, and probably will be for a while. However, as I mentioned the FSD capability has nothing to do with the firmware version. Your software page in the car will show Full FSD Capability once the car has it, regardless of the software version.
It was about a week after delivery that my firmware updated from 2023.20.200 to 2023.26,9 (which has V11.3.6 FSD that will not run on a HW4 car). So still waiting. Today the release you need is 2023.26.11, and that's rolling out at glacial speed.

Wife is looking to get a YLR next week. I'm going to transfer the FSD in my 2018 M3 to her Y. The 9/30/23 deadline looms large. Does anybody have advice as to whether we should pick up one of the Y's locally in inventory or order a Y from the factory in order to ensure that it has HW4? When ordering on the Tesla site it says Sept/Oct for delivery. Does anybody in the TMC Community have a good feel for how long it takes to get a YLR delivered? Definitely want to transfer the FSD to wife's car as I think ultimately that package would be more of value in her car.
It took about 3 weeks for delivery of my Model Y after my order in early August. This includes shipping from Fremont to Richmond, Virginia.

As far as I can tell, reading online, V11.4.4 is not compatible with HW4, or at least you can't get it on a new car. The V11.4.4 build is part of a firmware release that's older than what's currently shipping. You can't move backwards in firmware. Musk said V11.4.7 will start rolling out next week, and one hopes that the general firmware release it's in will be what's currently shipping, but we may have to wait. My Model Y is coming in a couple of weeks. I don't know what I'll get; it could be V11.3.6.
I was half right. V11.4.4 is compatible with HW4 but you couldn't get it at the time I wrote. Now Firmware 2023.26.11 has V11.4.4 and a few cars have gotten it.

Hello @JShore : Thanks. Fyi, Tesla is offering me $25k for my 2018 model-3 LR with only 17k miles only. Should I do a private sale or sell it to Carvana or Carmax? Can the FSD still be trasferred to the new MY and what's the process? Thanks in advance.
As far as selling it privately that is a personal choice. Sure you will get more money but do you want to deal with that. Do not sell the 3 before taking delivery of the Y. You must own both vehicles to transfer FSD. When the transfer is complete than you can move the 3.

As far as selling it privately that is a personal choice. Sure you will get more money but do you want to deal with that. Do not sell the 3 before taking delivery of the Y. You must own both vehicles to transfer FSD. When the transfer is complete than you can move the 3.

Is it a headache to do private sale, am pretty new to it as I still have kept my ice car.

But Tesla is offering for my 2018 M3LR with 17k miles around $24k. I have installed paint protection film and got all windows and roof glass tinted (spent over $5k for it), I know these addons don't get counted but still someone can definitely use it... any thoughts how much will the car fetch in private sale or if I sell to likes of Carvana, CarMax... etc.?

So, it's better to keep the M3 when I purchase the MY to do transfer of FSD, anything else do I need to be aware of, thanks!!

any thoughts how much will the car fetch in private sale or if I sell to likes of Carvana, CarMax... etc.?
You can find out what your car will get from a private sale for your area on Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds. Also, those other car buying places will give you a number when you will in all yours cars information. But yes you will always get more when selling your car instead of trading it in, but it can be time consuming waiting for a buyer and you could end up showing it to a lot of people, given them test drives and I believe there is another form you have fill with your DMV to fully release the vehicle, besides signing over the title. It's way easier to just take a small loss and let do all the paperwork for you. But if you do decide to sell it on your own, don't accept cash or even a money order. You could end up with counterfeit cash or a fake money order. Have them go to your bank with you and have the money transferred directly into you account. One other annoying thing when selling a car on your own is that if it's an ICE vehicle, it has to be smogged for the sale but not when trading it in. Not that we have to worry about that with a Tesla. Also if at all possible try to sell your old car as close as possible toward the end of its registration date, because the DMV doesn't refund any portion of it, even if you just paid that fee. Of course some of this could be a little different in your state.