Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD transfer: What's the current installation rate of HW4 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm quite interested in the FSD transfer program. I currently own M3 LR AWD with FSD and live in California. Planning to switch to Model Y and definitely want to get the HW4 which seem to start rolling out last month. My friend took delivery of a Model Y on Jun 30 (California) but unfortunately their car is still on HW3.

Any data on whether recent new builds are all equipped with HW4, and if not, what's the installation rate?

Also, I'm currently in FSD beta (11.4.4) and I assume HW4 is also compatible with the beta, right?

Any discussion about the transfer is welcomed here :)

Got a standard AWD Model Y on order since mid July ... went from late July - August to just this morning Aug 4 - Aug 18th. Not too much of a hurry to the get the car, as long as it's HW4. At the same time, my 2013 Model S P85+ trade-in will probably keep going down in price.

I went for a test drive yesterday (in SoCal) and the sales rep asked his manager and then said like “90%” of their model Ys are coming with HW4. The car I test drove had 40 miles on it and was HW4.
I test drove one LR yesterday (at Tesla Fremont) and that car has ~4k miles on it. It's HW3 and build time is around April. The sales rep says that new cars should come with HW4.

And I already submitted order, will see.

I'm quite interested in the FSD transfer program. I currently own M3 LR AWD with FSD and live in California. Planning to switch to Model Y and definitely want to get the HW4 which seem to start rolling out last month. My friend took delivery of a Model Y on Jun 30 (California) but unfortunately their car is still on HW3.

Any data on whether recent new builds are all equipped with HW4, and if not, what's the installation rate?

Also, I'm currently in FSD beta (11.4.4) and I assume HW4 is also compatible with the beta, right?

Any discussion about the transfer is welcomed here :)
I picked up my new Model Y today (manufactured in July 2023 at the Fremont plant). It has HW4 and I was assured all new Model Y have HW4.

I pick up my Y this Sunday and I'm only allowed to inspect the exterior before I buy it. Is there any way to tell if it has HW4 from the outside? I know that it should have HW4, but I'm wondering if it's a car that has been sitting around for awhile and still has HW3. The last 5 digits of the VIN is 43517

Thanks, which camera? Or do all have the red reflection?
In case it's helpful, you can also tell by looking at the side repeater camera design

Reactions: MY-Y and superblast
I have just ordered a new Model Y with FSD transfer and trade-in of my current Model 3. I did not want an inventory car specifically because of the risk that an inventory car might not have HW4. I am not financing the car purchase. However I expect to be out of town during delivery and through the end of the quarter when the FSD transfer program is active. Originally my Tesla advisor told me they can drop off the new car and pick up the old car from my home and I can confirm acceptance remotely via the mobile app. Now (after I put in the order), I am being told that delivery and pickup of old car require my physical presence and a manual signature-on-paper process.

Has anyone run into this issue and solved it? Do people have ideas for a workaround?

I have just ordered a new Model Y with FSD transfer and trade-in of my current Model 3. I did not want an inventory car specifically because of the risk that an inventory car might not have HW4. I am not financing the car purchase. However I expect to be out of town during delivery and through the end of the quarter when the FSD transfer program is active. Originally my Tesla advisor told me they can drop off the new car and pick up the old car from my home and I can confirm acceptance remotely via the mobile app. Now (after I put in the order), I am being told that delivery and pickup of old car require my physical presence and a manual signature-on-paper process.

Has anyone run into this issue and solved it? Do people have ideas for a workaround?
In my case I didn't choose Tesla's trade in. And on delivery day I didn't need to physically present to sign anything as everything is e-signed. So if you're in California (San Jose?) the new car delivery process should be good. And ordering a new car will almost guarantee you get HW4.

As for the old car, maybe you can just sell it later when you get back? Since trade-in in California does not have any tax benefit so selling / trading in doesn't matter that much.

In my case I didn't choose Tesla's trade in. And on delivery day I didn't need to physically present to sign anything as everything is e-signed. So if you're in California (San Jose?) the new car delivery process should be good. And ordering a new car will almost guarantee you get HW4.

As for the old car, maybe you can just sell it later when you get back? Since trade-in in California does not have any tax benefit so selling / trading in doesn't matter that much.

Thanks. You are right; the updated and corrected information I got said that my physical presence requirement is because of the trade-in pickup that happens at the time of delivery. If I were to sell my trade-in after delivery to a third party, I wouldn't have this issue. But I would then need to pay the full price of the new car which I'd like to avoid if at all possible. Appreciate your response.

Thanks. You are right; the updated and corrected information I got said that my physical presence requirement is because of the trade-in pickup that happens at the time of delivery. If I were to sell my trade-in after delivery to a third party, I wouldn't have this issue. But I would then need to pay the full price of the new car which I'd like to avoid if at all possible. Appreciate your response.
Physical presence is needed at pick-up for me even though I do not trade-in the old Y to Tesla. I assume there is a way to authorize someone (power of attorney?) to handle the transaction at your behalf though (not specifically related to Tesla).

Interesting. I ordered new vehicle rather than inventory, but the VIN is 841xxx. Did they secretly assign an inventory to me?
I don’t believe that the cars are built in perfectly sequential VIN order.

That being said I don’t think Tesla does actual orders anymore. Customers are loaded into a queue and the first appropriate configuration available is matched with the customer.