Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should my 2015 Model S 85D 12 volt battery be cycling between charging and discharging every minute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something doesn't seem right with how often the 12 volt battery is cycling between charging and discharging and I'm trying to ensure if there's something wrong it doesn't cause a larger issue in the future from so frequent cycling. I am not sure when this cycling began but I don't recall it making so much noise the first two years I owned it. I think it began around March or April 2021. The voltage readout in the center of the video is a power port splitter that shows the voltage, and it corresponds perfectly with the clicking sounds of the contactor connecting and disconnecting. I've brought this issue up with Tesla technical support and they watched this video and checked the car's logs and said there's nothing wrong. Thoughts? Please post a comment if you have any idea if there's any way I can get the car to stop cycling the 12 volt battery so frequently.

Here's a video showing what's going on for your reference.

Hi. Did you get anywhere with this, I had a similar issue on my 2016 70D until I turned off teslafi polling
No, I never got an answer to this issue and it's still happening periodically. Sounds like perhaps Teslafi is causing it. I looked through TeslaFi's settings and didn't see anything about polling. Is polling simply TeslaFi connecting at all? Can you clarify what you turned off to make the 12 volt battery cycling stop?

Thanks for the details. This appears to be the main on off switch for TeslaFi. Why would I bother to pay for a service if I'm going to just turn it off? Did you just cancel your subscription for TeslaFi?

I agree, but for $5 a month I’m going to wait for a fix (Tesla Software I hope)

I’m currently fiddling with the sleep settings so that as soon as the car is Idle Teslafi stops polling for 300 minutes in the hope that the car goes to sleep as I don’t believe the car does the charge/discharge whilst asleep.

I have set up a shortcut on my phone to enable polling when the phone connects to Bluetooth so I can Log a drive

Thanks for the additional information! I contacted TeslaFi support yesterday and this is their response: ("they" referring to Tesla)
"This is something that changed on their end and the only thing that TeslaFi would be able to change is polling or not polling data.

However, I made a change to the data logger if you want to try and see if it has any effect:

In settings->sleep modes->advanced->polling time while idle you could try changing that to 3 and TeslaFi will only poll once every three minutes which let things settle down. You could try other settings like 2 or 5 as well. Unfortunately this isn't something that we're seeing on any of our vehicles so it's not something we can test on our end or else we would.

Previously with this setting higher than one minute TeslaFi would check the vehicle state but not request data. With the version you are on TeslaFi will not check the car at all during the time the vehicle is not polling."

I went ahead and re-enabled polling and changed the polling time while idle to 3 and I'll wait to see how the car behaves.

Reactions: Pikey
It's definitely, absolutely TeslaFi. I had the same issue. See this post and the rest of the thread: 12V battery dying but no warning?

At least you got a response from them. I got nothing, so I let my renewal lapse. I'm certainly not paying if I'm not getting any support.
After the initial post I've found that if I disable TeslaFi the clicking stops so I agree it's certainly TeslaFi causing it. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks which I'll turn TeslaFi on for, then after that the customer support rep said he'd pause my account as long as I want until the issue is fixed.

After the initial post I've found that if I disable TeslaFi the clicking stops so I agree it's certainly TeslaFi causing it. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks which I'll turn TeslaFi on for, then after that the customer support rep said he'd pause my account as long as I want until the issue is fixed.
Please post here if it's fixed. I'll probably re-activate my account if they do.

Same problem here. It was fine when I lost service in May of last year with V8.1 but then I did the MCU2 upgrade which put me on v10 and the car would never sleep resulting in losing like 5 to 6% / day. I enabled teslafi's deep sleep mode 24 hours a day which seems to have fixed the problem but I lose logging during the beginning of drives.

A short term fix might be a button on an app that enables polling for x amount of hours that you choose based on your expected drive time so if you forget to turn the button off it will eventually shut down the polling on its own.

In settings->sleep modes->advanced->polling time while idle you could try changing that to 3 and TeslaFi will only poll once every three minutes which let things settle down. You could try other settings like 2 or 5 as well. Unfortunately this isn't something that we're seeing on any of our vehicles so it's not something we can test on our end or else we would.

So did this work?