Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the MYLR be charged to 50% only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. There’s different test methods for EPA range and also a voluntary manufacturer deduction further from the test results. So no, EPA rated range is not equal and can’t be directly compared. Case in point the Taycan is normally lambasted for its minuscule EPA range when in reality it gets *significantly* higher.

JCLJ's summary is accurate.
The minutiae matters not.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Lots of experts here, using rationalization to justify their home charging regimen. Battery chemistry is constantly changing, and some Teslas have different battery components than other, so one person's system might be better for them, but not the best for another owner.

Not charging over 90% and not letting the battery get below 10% seems to be the most important strategy for most. Working within those limits will most likely elicit much gain in longevity, but does provide for some amusement and pseudo control gratification.

Reality is that Tesla batteries are pretty robust, even better than projected 10 years ago. There is no one best answer to maintaining ultimate least degradation over your ownership period.

My favorite quote is that obsessing over battery life is like not having sex with your girlfriend...to save her for the next guy :)

I don't have a 100% predictable schedule but the farthest I can really see going on a completely unplanned trip is to San Francisco. I can probably do this (perhaps with white knuckles on the way back) on 50% SoC, but would prefer to have at least 60-70% SoC just in case there are additional unplanned stops on the way there or back. But the thing is, I can get from 50% to 70% in about 90-110 minutes, and even for an unplanned trip, that's usually enough. If not...I can always just take my PHEV (but that's not happened even once).
The Tessie app has a pretty cool feature. It cand
TessieRangeRing.jpg
show you a range ring.

Reactions: rwojo
I don't have a 100% predictable schedule but the farthest I can really see going on a completely unplanned trip is to San Francisco. I can probably do this (perhaps with white knuckles on the way back) on 50% SoC, but would prefer to have at least 60-70% SoC just in case there are additional unplanned stops on the way there or back. But the thing is, I can get from 50% to 70% in about 90-110 minutes, and even for an unplanned trip, that's usually enough. If not...I can always just take my PHEV (but that's not happened even once).
Or a 10 min stop at a Supercharger. There are like 3 stations around me so why not.

Lots of experts here, using rationalization to justify their home charging regimen. Battery chemistry is constantly changing, and some Teslas have different battery components than other, so one person's system might be better for them, but not the best for another owner.

Not charging over 90% and not letting the battery get below 10% seems to be the most important strategy for most. Working within those limits will most likely elicit much gain in longevity, but does provide for some amusement and pseudo control gratification.

Reality is that Tesla batteries are pretty robust, even better than projected 10 years ago. There is no one best answer to maintaining ultimate least degradation over your ownership period.

My favorite quote is that obsessing over battery life is like not having sex with your girlfriend...to save her for the next guy :)
When was the last time we saw Media reports of a battery fire? Or warranty replacements?
It's been a long time....and we know Media loves a fire, and thrives on negative Tesla hyperbole.
Both 18650 (MS, MX) and 2170 batteries (MY, M3) are well understood, robust, and degradation is minimal.
Charge it. Drive it. Repeat.

We did see a MYLR go over a 250ft cliff, and NO FIRE, and the battery pack stayed with the chassis.
We also saw an Audi wreck in Europe that "ejected" a battery pack - in truth, the chassis came apart and the pack ended up across the street. POOR DESIGN.

Reactions: Pianewman
When was the last time we saw Media reports of a battery fire? Or warranty replacements?
It's been a long time....and we know Media loves a fire, and thrives on negative Tesla hyperbole.
Both 18650 (MS, MX) and 2170 batteries (MY, M3) are well understood, robust, and degradation is minimal.

We did see a MYLR go over a 250ft cliff, and NO FIRE, and the battery pack stayed with the chassis.
We also saw an Audi wreck in Europe that "ejected" a battery pack - in truth, the chassis came apart and the pack ended up across the street. POOR DESIGN.
And, dont forget the Tesla that crashed through a fence and ended up totally submerged in a pool. No fire ... move along, nothing to see here.

And, dont forget the Tesla that crashed through a fence and ended up totally submerged in a pool. No fire ... move along, nothing to see here.

wait, wasn't that an advertisement for the new Tesla aqualung? excuse me, Mars Breather?

• Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
Yup. As I said the default 90% recommendation is what Tesla determined to be the best balance of degradation and customer convenience to cover the general public who can’t be bothered to learn such nuanced details and micromanage their charging. For those people (eg most buyers), just set it to 80-90% and forget it and it will be “fine”.

But fine is just fine, not necessarily the best. Best practice would be set it to as low as you can without inconveniencing yourself and how you use the car. For me personally, 50% is more than enough.
Yes, those superior folks who arent charging to get full range so that they can get full range...that they wont use?

Yes, those superior folks who arent charging to get full range so that they can get full range...that they wont use?
If and when they do need it, eg for a road trip and not daily commuting, a less degraded battery will have more range than a more degraded battery.

Why does it bother you so much that some people don’t want to charge all the way? It doesn’t affect you or your battery. Charge to whatever you want to. But the data definitely shows charging to a lower % is better for degradation. Yes it might be a small or negligible effect. But it’s still non-zero. And we don’t know for sure how these packs will age in 8-10+ years time.

You sound like those people who are mad Chick-fil-A added a cauliflower sandwich option. Don’t like it? Don’t buy. No one is forcing you to. They didn’t remove the other menu options.

Don’t have MYLR yet but planning to follow Tesla’s recommendation. Tesla is supposedly the expert in all things EV battery I presume.
Tesla is expert enough to know that charging to 90% means that they likely won't need to do a warranty replacement. Threshold for warranty replacement is >30% degradation in 8 years or 120k miles, whichever comes first.
Why astray away? 90% for me.
The most common reason would be that you're not okay with 30% degradation in the first 8 years/120k miles. So while some people just want charging to be a "set it and forget it" experience, others realize that they can improve their experience driving an EV years from now by adjusting the charge limit based on what they need in any given trip.

Don’t have MYLR yet but planning to follow Tesla’s recommendation. Tesla is supposedly the expert in all things EV battery I presume. Why astray away? 90% for me.
Tesla recommends up to 90% as needed for daily use. And up to 100% as needed for a trip. That doesn’t mean you need to or should charge to 100% every trip. Just like you don’t need to charge to 90% for daily use. That’s why they have a slider from 50-100%. They never said 90% is the best for the battery.

But if set it and forget it to 90% is easiest for you and your family, then go for it.

• Love
Reactions: CaseyL and Rocky_H
Tesla recommends up to 90% as needed for daily use. And up to 100% as needed for a trip. That doesn’t mean you need to or should charge to 100% every trip. Just like you don’t need to charge to 90% for daily use. That’s why they have a slider from 50-100%. They never said 90% is the best for the battery.

But if set it and forget it to 90% is easiest for you and your family, then go for it.
Yup, this is from Tesla today.
TeslaRecommendsCharging.jpg

The lithium batteries might not have a memory effect...but the BMS does...and that’s the only figure that we have to go on. Which is why we like these near zero to 100% cycles
BMS periodically recalculates.
Likelihood of a 30% degradation....nill....just drive it.

If it were a different vendor, yeah. But Tesla has it pretty well figured out.

Reactions: Spinkick
Tesla is expert enough to know that charging to 90% means that they likely won't need to do a warranty replacement. Threshold for warranty replacement is >30% degradation in 8 years or 120k miles, whichever comes first.

The most common reason would be that you're not okay with 30% degradation in the first 8 years/120k miles. So while some people just want charging to be a "set it and forget it" experience, others realize that they can improve their experience driving an EV years from now by adjusting the charge limit based on what they need in any given trip.
Just out of curiosity, how much will it improve? Has there been any case study that you can recommend me to read? I'm not being a smart*&%. I am truly curious.

If and when they do need it, eg for a road trip and not daily commuting, a less degraded battery will have more range than a more degraded battery.

Why does it bother you so much that some people don’t want to charge all the way? It doesn’t affect you or your battery. Charge to whatever you want to. But the data definitely shows charging to a lower % is better for degradation. Yes it might be a small or negligible effect. But it’s still non-zero. And we don’t know for sure how these packs will age in 8-10+ years time.

You sound like those people who are mad Chick-fil-A added a cauliflower sandwich option. Don’t like it? Don’t buy. No one is forcing you to. They didn’t remove the other menu options.
Who said I was bothered? Are we not having a discussion on whether someone should charge 50% as per the thread title? Lol. Sheesh. I answered no, and we have been having a debate about it. Sorry you are mad.

Anyway, this thread has probably run its course. Cya

Just out of curiosity, how much will it improve? Has there been any case study that you can recommend me to read? I'm not being a smart*&%. I am truly curious.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1149/2.0091701jes/pdf

Reactions: 702sunk and Drinyth