Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should there be gaps on roof panel between panes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started my detailed inspection today of the car and wanted to see if this was how the glass roof was supposed to be. Is the rubber liner supposed to be sunken or flush in between the glass panes?

Also it appears the glass panel above the driver sits a little higher than the windshield and rear windshield - is that normal?

C0DBD7CD-2703-4C99-8846-980658E8DD1D.jpeg

5CA8E814-D4E2-4AC2-8BCE-EF2DFD522FC1.png

Just started my detailed inspection today of the car and wanted to see if this was how the glass roof was supposed to be. Is the rubber liner supposed to be sunken or flush in between the glass panes?

Also it appears the glass panel above the driver sits a little higher than the windshield and rear windshield - is that normal?

I spent a few hours yesterday looking closely at more than a dozen Model 3s being delivered and not one had properly aligned glass panels. I felt I lucked out as my car’s roof was better aligned than all of them but it’s a lot less than perfect. I stepped outside and looked at my other car’s roof (panoramic sunroof made of 3 glass panes) and it’s embarassing how much better it fits compared to Tesla’s.

I was quite concerned that the gaps would whistle while driving but, at least at US freeway speeds, they’re not. So yes, they look a bit third world but they’re functionally ok.

• Funny
Reactions: SoCalGuy
I spent a few hours yesterday looking closely at more than a dozen Model 3s being delivered and not one had properly aligned glass panels. I felt I lucked out as my car’s roof was better aligned than all of them but it’s a lot less than perfect. I stepped outside and looked at my other car’s roof (panoramic sunroof made of 3 glass panes) and it’s embarassing how much better it fits compared to Tesla’s.

I was quite concerned that the gaps would whistle while driving but, at least at US freeway speeds, they’re not. So yes, they look a bit third world but they’re functionally ok.
Yeah I compared them to the Audi and the Audi has rubber liner that’s flush with each glass panel. My Fiskers have rubber that sticks up more than the 3 but still not flush.

Yeah, mine are really good, too. The top piece is a bit hit at the passenger end where it meets the windshield but it's pretty minor and I'm pretty happy with wind noise at 70mph. It's the road, particularly the concrete highway, that dominates sounds for me and find it all quite acceptable in regards to interference with listening to music.

I've called them out for this though:
image1.jpeg
The focus is kinda wack there, but that's the tip of the bumper piece coming out past the passenger quarter panel. That point is going to get it's paint worn off prematurely if they don't tuck it.
Also asked for adjustment on this on driver's side, where the rear door trim is out of line:
image2.jpeg
I have to look at the every time I go to get into the car and it's kinda grating on me already. :p

On the phone, prior to me sending the photos, the SC had said they'd send a Ranger to visit. I haven't heard back so I'm assuming that still on, as time permits.

There was also a clip issue under the front bumper but when I went to take the photo I figured out why it wasn't seating proper and I fixed it myself. Anyone know where I can send the invoice for that work?

Last edited:
The rear glass on my car seems to have uneven gap on one side. The two sides of the glass are aligned with the glass and the roof beam, but the third side has a narrowing gap from rear to the center. Anyone had an issue like that and gotten it fixed?