Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should We Buy Our Daughter An S Or Wait Until M3?

Should My Daughter Get An S Or Wait For M3?

• Yes

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 47.1%
  • Wait for M3

Votes: 32 30.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crashes normally happen when a driver is less than fully trained or is not observant of their surroundings.

The most survivable crash is the one you avoid. ie - A Trabant is safer than an SUV if the SUV crashes and the Trabant does not.

You have no control over what other drivers are doing no matter how observant you are.

For example the driver that 360'd her Eclipse across two lanes of traffic and landed perpendicular to my motorcycle.

Observance helps in some cases and I am more observant on my bikes but if someone pulls out in front of my bike I'm going to have a much worse day than a Tesla.

I know we have our P100D on the way buttttttttt........... we found a really superb deal on a 2014 P85+ w/o AP and my daughter wants my P85D but im giving that car to my Mom because she is begging on her knees for it so im giving it to her! When our P100D arrives. So should my daughter get a S or should she get a M3 instead! And my son defiantly is not getting a Model S at all he will destroy it he wasn't even ready for his Dodge Charger we bought him!o_O

What will you give me if I beg on my knees?

Not only NO, but HELL NO, not my kids. I walked to high school and bicycled/walked/bused to college. My first car was a 15 yo Dodge Dart, literally my Grandmother's car. Since I am cheap (and was saving up for my future Tesla), I only drove it when I was too sick, cold, or lazy to bicycle 15 mi RT (year round in all weather, including snow and ice down to -10F). I hated (and still do) spending money on gasoline, oil changes, tailpipes and mufflers.

I agree with BluestarE3. Here's another article on the crash (bold red are for emphasis):
All 5 Occupants Survive Horrific Tesla Model S Crash
Dtails are somewhat sparse, but the driver was an 18-year-old female and four other occupants (all between the ages of 18 and 19) were onboard. The Model S belongs to the father of the driver. According to police reports, the accident occurred last Wednesday when the driver lost control of the Model S while negotiating a left-hand turn at a high rate of speed. The car left the right side of the road and then overturned before landing back on its wheels and coming to a halt.
crash-3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
Actually i have change my mind on this: find a used MS 60. Why: everyone around, at least in our area is on the phone. This includes highways and stop and go traffic. I have observed this and was most alarmed today, on the highways of socal, where traffic is dense and moving fast. I urge everyone to put their phone down The tesla, while not upgraded with all the bells and whistles, still is a very safe car. Kiddos can't have passengers when they get their provisional license. Is it expensive, yes, but a used MS60 will provide a safe car.

For those looking for a new app idea, parental tracking of kids' tesla MS would be a great add on: determine if your kid is alone, where they are going, lock their phone from texting, etc. I don't think this is too restrictive-kids are precious and everyone on the road is super distracted.

There are many safe cars out there other than Teslas. I've been looking into buying a subaru Outback for dog hauling, trips to the lumber yard, and eventually having our daughter drive it. Teslas are super expensive to repair and any accident on the Tesla for a young driver would drive your insurance rates through the roof.

Reactions: RogerHScott
I know we have our P100D on the way buttttttttt........... we found a really superb deal on a 2014 P85+ w/o AP and my daughter wants my P85D but im giving that car to my Mom because she is begging on her knees for it so im giving it to her! When our P100D arrives. So should my daughter get a S or should she get a M3 instead! And my son defiantly is not getting a Model S at all he will destroy it he wasn't even ready for his Dodge Charger we bought him!o_O

You have a P85D that you're going to replace with a P100D, and are now considering a used P85+ for your daughter. Your son had already destroyed a Dodge Charger. Since finances don't seem to be a big concern for you, I'd suggest an S60 or S60D. Stereotypically, your daughter is less likely to speed and wreak her car, but also stereotypically, she'll have less spatial awareness. Also, slower cars are easier to maintain control. Since the body structure will be the same, it would be just as safe as the P85+, and yet safer because of the lower top speed and acceleration. It'll be safer for the people on the other side of her frunk too! Although I think the model 3 might've been a better choice, it doesn't seem like she'll be able to wait that long, that's why you're looking at a used P85+ right?

Hope this helps.