Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should We Buy Our Daughter An S Or Wait Until M3?

Should My Daughter Get An S Or Wait For M3?

• Yes

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 47.1%
  • Wait for M3

Votes: 32 30.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously though, I am now 52. But I remember RACING my parents 1976 Monte Carlo against any guy that would on a country highway. Everyone from high school showed up. I always won. BTW-I'm a chick. My parents had NO idea. Just saying that the Model S is so fast.....it might be a worry.

♫ If you want to destroy my P85+ ♫ whoa a whoa a whoa ♫ just hold this cable as I drive away ♫

Reactions: democappy
The Model S is the safest car on the road, when used responsibly. And I think that's the key here, especially when talking about a RWD P85+ (yes I know the P85D and above are faster, but the AWD negates a bunch of the "scary" power part of the RWD model), this thing has a ton of power, and if you are not responsible (ie young and inexperienced) it would be too easy to get yourself in a bunch of trouble.

Also keep in mind the other end of the spectrum, you don't need to be using any power to rub against concrete pillars in parkades etc, and the S is a very large sedan making it harder to manoeuvre in those situations than many cars, and has atrociously high repair costs for body work (good luck finding a more expensive car to repair the body work on, or one that takes longer to get the parts needed)

You have to know your child, and nobody here can tell you what is right or wrong for them, I can only say that I personally wouldn't give any inexperienced driver a car as large, as powerful, or as expensive to repair, as a Tesla.

That said, I have to jump on the adoption bandwagon, my parents didn't buy me a car, they didn't even let me drive theirs (even with them present) knowing that, I didn't even bother to get my license until after I moved away from home, there was just no point when I couldn't drive their cars, and couldn't afford one of my own (especially the insurance!)

I've turned this around with our daughter. She's a student at Tesla High School, where they have intensive courses in science, technology, engineering, and math. I point out that there are plenty of 16-year-olds who've already made important discoveries, or started successful businesses. I want her to buy **us** a Model S. Well, a Model 3 would be okay, I guess.

A Coulomb of Roadsters gathered at Tesla High School:

10989149_10203471337919315_7240515202727734708_n.jpg

We let our kids drive one of our cars during high school depending on the situation (it helped that we had much cheaper cars then). During college we let them "lease" pretty cheap. But after that they had to buy their own. My daughter still does not have a car...my son bought our old Prius PHEV. (He also has a reservation for a Model 3).

My advice: don't put the vehicle in your kid's name. Buy it in your name, and make them the primary driver for insurance purposes, and tell them it is your car and not theirs. Tell them at any time you can refuse them "borrowing" it from you. Provided they remain doing well in school, being of good character, work part-time, etc. there's no issue with them borrowing it from you. However, if they ever get out of line, the keys are the first thing to go.

I bought a Leaf for my daughters so my wife and I didn't have to be constant taxi cab drivers to school, dance, cheer, friends, etc. and I told them that was the reason, and it is not their car but mine, and in fact they own nothing of significant value unless and until they work for it and buy it themselves. Don't rob your kids of one of the most important things in life: working hard and supporting themselves. If you want to kill someone's desire to live, all you have to do is pay them for doing nothing. Take a look at most of the trust fund kids out there who lack morals and ethics and think their sh*t doesn't stink. You need to avoid that and make sure buying your kid a Model S doesn't turn them into that. We've evolved over thousands of years taking satisfaction in being productive. We create chaos when we work against nature. There's a reason when we first meet someone we're often asked, or ask, what do you do?

I know we have our P100D on the way buttttttttt........... we found a really superb deal on a 2014 P85+ w/o AP and my daughter wants my P85D but im giving that car to my Mom because she is begging on her knees for it so im giving it to her! When our P100D arrives. So should my daughter get a S or should she get a M3 instead! And my son defiantly is not getting a Model S at all he will destroy it he wasn't even ready for his Dodge Charger we bought him!o_O

You should know the adage about spoiling the child...

Reactions: S'toon and rdr1rx
One other thing to consider is if your teenager is planning to go away to college with this car. Probably not a good idea to have an expensive car on campus in a large parking lot and left unattended by the owner for much of the time.

Tesla High School... how cool is that! Especially great to see girls majoring in these subjects!
Yes, it's really great! She's currently learning about DNA in biology, and they're reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, in English (no joke). Wait a minute! Is there something sinister going on over there? I think I need to redirect her to something healthier! How about reanimating a mangled Model S?

I know we have our P100D on the way buttttttttt........... we found a really superb deal on a 2014 P85+ w/o AP and my daughter wants my P85D but im giving that car to my Mom because she is begging on her knees for it so im giving it to her! When our P100D arrives. So should my daughter get a S or should she get a M3 instead! And my son defiantly is not getting a Model S at all he will destroy it he wasn't even ready for his Dodge Charger we bought him!o_O
Just bought my 17 year old son a loaded FR-S, but he has a Model 3 on order as well. After considering a Model X for him, Autopilot 2.0 plus Tesla Glass coming to the Model 3 was just too good to forfeit since Glass is not yet available on MS/MX.

I believe he was asking a car question and not a parenting question...

I'd get her an S now if it's going to make your life more convenient as opposed to waiting on a 3. Also, as my mother always says: the more steel around you the better.

How can all of you shame him for wanting to buy his daughter an S? Don't the same reasons you all bought one for yourself apply to this situation? The safety of the vehicle alone is worth the expense if he can afford it. I've been harassed at work ever since I placed my order because I'm not in a line of work that's conducive to affording a $150k car and some of you are doing the same thing to him.