Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show off your aftermarket wheels.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
265/40R20 front
295/35R20 rear

I find a 285 tire in the front is sorta overkill because it makes the steering much harder. Also if you use spacers or a reduced offset than factory, it only increases the effort needed for steering even further. So people with 285 in the front and a reduced offset have a double whammy
I haven't noticed any issues in steering effort going from the factory 265/35/21s to my 285 square setup. In fact, other than the significantly reduced unsprung weight, probably the only noticeable difference for me has been slightly less understeer, which I consider a positive development. Greater available tire selections and the ability to do true rotations have been the other positives.

Hey there! We've got some news for you. Our custom forged wheel service helps create wheels that reflect your style and add a unique touch to your ride.

All you need to do is share an image or description of your desired design, and we'll bring it to life, whether it's a specific pattern, color scheme, or something unique.

Plus, we're offering significant discounts for custom orders:
◼️18" wheels: from $535 to $495 per wheel, saving $160 per set.
◼️19" wheels: from $570 to $525 per wheel, saving $180 per set.
◼️20" wheels: from $645 to $555 per wheel, saving $360 per set.
◼️21" wheels: from $705 to $595 per wheel, saving $440 per set.
◼️22" wheels: from $795 to $655 per wheel, saving $560 per set.

1714531484908.png

If this sounds like what you're looking for, check out website or send us an email at [email protected] and let's get started on designing wheels that reflect your style.

Take advantage of these discounts, as they will only last until May 31.

New Summer setup -
Superspeeds RF05RR 20x10 +40 with Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ 265/35/20

View attachment 1045773

View attachment 1045774View attachment 1045775

View attachment 1045776
Are you sure that’s the right size tire? Its load rating is just 99. The car will fit a 265/40R20 for a 28.3” diameter and a 104 load rating.

Also the tread width for that tire is going to be almost an inch less than the 10” wheel. That’s a cornering weight load problem unless you have track tire sidewall stiffness which these all seasons are not!

Also, why put an all seasons tire for the summer? There’s plenty of summer options

Last edited:
Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Are you sure that’s the right size tire? Its load rating is just 99. The car will fit a 265/40R20 for a 28.3” diameter and a 104 load rating.

Also the tread width for that tire is going to be almost an inch less than the 10” wheel. That’s a cornering weight load problem unless you have track tire sidewall stiffness which these all seasons are not!

Also, why put an all seasons tire for the summer? There’s plenty of summer options
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. When considering tire and wheel options I have looked into a tires load and speed rating that matches a vehicle’s specs. These tires with a load rating of 99 I get a total load rating of 6836lbs and the model S has a weight of around 4600lbs. If I have the Plaid I would have had to consider a higher rating in the rear due to the extra weight of the dual motors in the rear axle. So going with the 99 load rating did not concern me, when I considered it. And these tires are also Extra Load rated for the recommended 41psi for the Model S.

I was considering going with a taller sidewall, but I also had a budget to work with. So I settled on the 35s. The 35s are for more common than 45s and the ones I found were more expensive.

I wanted to go with EV specific tires when I was originally shopping, but any half decent tire/size I wanted was barely available in the market or way over my budget. And everything I read said EV specific tires do not give any real benefits to a similarly spec’d non-EV tire.

So, I am genuinely curious to know what is that I missed and what should I be concerned with this setup ?

As for why AS instead of summers, I have never had good luck with any of the summer tire when it came to tread life, as they all barely last half the claimed tread life. And I have had Continentals, Michelins and Pirellis and I have always end up spending more for Summer Performance tires. I had an Audi S4, which I had went through three sets of summer tires in the cause of 8 years. Which is why I went with ASs. Also, this will give me the option to run these tires later into Fall before switching over to my winters. The AS will also give me a more softer and (quieter) ride compared to summer sticky tires. I was originally considering the Michelin AS4s, but I got a better deal with the Bridgestones.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. When considering tire and wheel options I have looked into a tires load and speed rating that matches a vehicle’s specs. These tires with a load rating of 99 I get a total load rating of 6836lbs and the model S has a weight of around 4600lbs. If I have the Plaid I would have had to consider a higher rating in the rear due to the extra weight of the dual motors in the rear axle. So going with the 99 load rating did not concern me, when I considered it. And these tires are also Extra Load rated for the recommended 41psi for the Model S.

I was considering going with a taller sidewall, but I also had a budget to work with. So I settled on the 35s. The 35s are for more common than 45s and the ones I found were more expensive.

I wanted to go with EV specific tires when I was originally shopping, but any half decent tire/size I wanted was barely available in the market or way over my budget. And everything I read said EV specific tires do not give any real benefits to a similarly spec’d non-EV tire.

So, I am genuinely curious to know what is that I missed and what should I be concerned with this setup ?

As for why AS instead of summers, I have never had good luck with any of the summer tire when it came to tread life, as they all barely last half the claimed tread life. And I have had Continentals, Michelins and Pirellis and I have always end up spending more for Summer Performance tires. I had an Audi S4, which I had went through three sets of summer tires in the cause of 8 years. Which is why I went with ASs. Also, this will give me the option to run these tires later into Fall before switching over to my winters. The AS will also give me a more softer and (quieter) ride compared to summer sticky tires. I was originally considering the Michelin AS4s, but I got a better deal with the Bridgestones.

Thanks again for your feedback.
I understand your rationale. Here’s the reasons why I think you have under spec’d tires

1 the weight of the car is 4800lbs without any added drivers. It’s the GVWR (5600 lbs) that you have to plan for.

2. So at 5600 lbs, you need 1400lbs per tire. However you’ve not included the added dynamic weight transfer load that occurs on the tires at hard braking (fronts) or hard hard acceleration (rears). That weight transfer is up to 1.2X load for a longer wheelbase car like the S. For shorter wheelbases like the Audi S4, it’s 1.4X. That makes the ideal load capacity required for the S at 1400X1.2 = 1680lbs

3. So let’s take 1680 lbs load capacity. You need 1680 lbs at 42psi. If you were to take a tire with say 1709lbs load (aka 99 load index), that’s the load capacity of the tire at the full 51psi. the load capacity of the tire dips linearly by 1709/51= 33.5psi for each psi drop in inflation. In other words, your 99 load index tire is only capable of handling 1709-(33.5) = 1407 lbs at 42psi. So a 99 load index tire is underspec’d for this car at 42psi. Sure you could run it at 51psi but that would be a terribly harsh drive and at the psi limit for the tire (another blowout risk on a pothole)

4. To get the full 1680lbs load capacity at 42psi, you would have to get a 104 load index tire minimum. The 104 load index tire is rated for 1984lbs at 51psi. So 38.9lbs drop per psi drop. At 42psi, that comes down to 1630lbs… now that’s a well load indexed tire for the weight of the S. Yes it’s still 50lbs off from my 1680 calculation but that’s now in safe territory.

For the summers, yes they will get eaten up much faster then the all seasons because summers have a lower tread rating than all seasons. That is by design. But for the power of a plaid, you need sticky (aka low tread rating) not hard (aka all seasons) tires . You’ll always get abs limited on those all seasons.

Now about the wheel width. For optimal handling, the tire tread width needs to be equal to or max 0.5” less than the wheel width. The tread width on the 265 tires is about 9” and your wheels are 10”. That’s double the 0.5” difference. Your tires are very stretched. It would not have made much of a difference on say an Audi S4 which isn’t as heavy but the massive stretch on those tires is going to be a safety concern with such a heavy car in corners

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GeoX750