TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Side Mirror Removal for Wrapping

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by zosoisnotaword, Jul 17, 2018.

1. zosoisnotaword

Has anyone removed or seen a video removing just the swivel portion of the side mirror (the actual mirror part) while leaving the mounting bracket attached to the car? The closest I can find is this video from ColoradoDetail of the Model S side mirror removal at the 2:45 mark. I'm thinking that this procedure would probably work on the 3, but I haven't seen where anyone has documented doing it.

I have found a few more videos that show how to completely remove the mirror and bracket from the door, but they all leave the swivel part intact.

• Informative x 1
  2. ericsmithcpa

ericsmithcpa New Member

Late response, but I happened upon your question and had an answer, so figured I'd share.

Step 1 of 2:

Step 2 of 2:

3. zosoisnotaword

Thanks, but my question was whether or not the mirror could be removed to make wrapping the chrome bracket easier. In the video you posted, the installer removes the mirror cap but leaves the mirror mounted on the bracket, which still makes it a really difficult job.

In the video I posted, the installer later confirmed in the comments that the mirror removal on the Model 3 is the same process as the one he showed on the Model S at around 3:00. My shop was able to do it successfully, which made the wrap job a lot easier and the results a lot cleaner.

4. aPezDispenser

aPezDispenser New Member

He did a video before this where he removed mirror but later said it didn't really make it easier thats why the follow up videos show him demonstrating with them attached.

The video in question is here, linked to the part where he starts on the mirror

5. zosoisnotaword

Again, the point is to remove the mirror from the bracket, not the bracket from the door. He did not remove the mirror from the bracket, which is why it wasn't easier.

6. aPezDispenser

aPezDispenser New Member

Ah, I misunderstood you the originally. I'd be afraid to break one of those little tabs. Let us know how it goes if you attempt

7. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

According to Colorado Detail there was some "inside info" that was gathered that had the needed steps to completely disassemble the mirrors for wrapping. They also indicated that even many Tesla technicians don't know the mirror can be completely disassembled the way they are doing it.

8. Extreme Autowerks

Extreme Autowerks Local Vendor - SoCal

NO matter how you go about it, chrome delete on the mirror stems are a PAIN IN THE ASS ;) Have fun!

9. zosoisnotaword

My shop was nervous about it too. They had never worked on a Tesla, and the video is for an S instead of a 3, so they wanted me to sign a waiver in order to attempt it. I accepted the risk and it paid off. The job was completed shortly after the OP in July.