Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Swiped a Taxi on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is exactly why FSD is whole load of rubbish, the key isn't in sensors or mapping, its having an AI that can make these kind of borderline decisions with no human input.

Google DeepMind has the best AI geniuses in the world, yet they aren't even close to or suggesting FSD as claimed by Elon is possible.

I suspect Elon knows this, hince the endless excuses of what's coming next. No doubt the rewrite once released will need another rewrite for HW4.0 in 12 months time.
Exactly. People need to forget about getting into their Tesla and arriving at their destination with no human intervention - it's just not going to happen in any reasonable timeframe.

How many people REALLY need, or want, their car to be fully autonomous?

I don't, I really enjoy driving, and if I wanted to get from A to B without driving I'd take a taxi, train, or perhaps a commercial flight. Most of the reason for owning a car like the Model 3 comes from the joy of driving it, rather than it just being a way to get from one place to another. I like some of the driver assistance features, that improve situational awareness, and keep a wary eye out for me making an error, but I don't ever want the car to just drive me around as a passenger.

I can see self-driving being a boon for things like taxi services (hence Waymo and Uber's interest) and also for delivery services, but many people own cars because they enjoy the experience of driving There often isn't even a cost saving by owning a car, rather than using some other form of transport. You can pay for a lot of taxi and public transport fares from the money spent on owning and running a car. I worked it out earlier this year, and for the cost of owning and running both our cars we could easily have paid for taxi fares everywhere we've been this year, and save a lot of money in the process.

I find the autopilot keeps far too left in the lane. On smaller roads even if it is not running in the grates it passes way too close to junctions IME waiting for someone to arrive with too much speed to hit the side of you. Even in use on motorways it just hangs a little close to lorries for my liking especially if they are getting blown around or moving in lane. I feel far more comfortable using my 30 years of experience.

I worked it out earlier this year, and for the cost of owning and running both our cars we could easily have paid for taxi fares everywhere we've been this year, and save a lot of money in the process.

Indeed ... when my stepfather had gone beyond being able to drive safely I had to convince him that for all the trips he ever made he could take a taxi from door to door and it would cost less than running his car ... he didn't believe me so we worked it out ... he would have been quids in! (Despite this he couldn't bear to hand over significant money for a taxi journey .... it always felt more expensive!)

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Indeed ... when my stepfather had gone beyond being able to drive safely I had to convince him that for all the trips he ever made he could take a taxi from door to door and it would cost less than running his car ... he didn't believe me so we worked it out ... he would have been quids in! (Despite this he couldn't bear to hand over significant money for a taxi journey .... it always felt more expensive!)

Perhaps we need subscription taxi services, where you pay a fixed sum each month for access to a taxi whenever you need it, within limits. That would take away the feeling that taxis are expensive, and coupled with an easy to use way of booking one when you needed it could be almost as convenient as driving a car.

Perhaps we need subscription taxi services, where you pay a fixed sum each month for access to a taxi whenever you need it, within limits. That would take away the feeling that taxis are expensive, and coupled with an easy to use way of booking one when you needed it could be almost as convenient as driving a car.

Some local authorities already have Taxicard schemes (I know that Edinburgh and London do) that are used for people with mobility problems to have a number of free or subsidised taxi journeys. (Just to link with this thread ... let's hope the drivers position their vehicles more safely who stopping at the side of the road!) I think for many of us there is a huge psychological barrier to overcome when considering the "loss" of our cars.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Yes, but those eyes might be looking at the radio, mobile, passengers or be attached to a brain that's otherwise occupied. Plenty of people crash into stationary objects every day.
I crashed once about 25 years ago, driving the same route I drove every day to work, it was always busy from the left at a T junction, I nipped out into a gap without looking right and hit the side of a van. Stupid error.
How much safer than a human will AP need to be to reach mass acceptance?

Yes, fair point. Although at the moment there seem to be far more reports of AP making stupid mistakes than there are of AP saving lives. Having said that, sadly, this is the nature of social media these days.

I’ve owned a model 3 for less than a month. Thankfully I didn’t buy it for it self driving capabilities. If I had, I would have been sorely disappointed. As an outsider, the brand comes across as having cracked self driving....hearing stories of drivers having a nap in the passenger seat and hearing Elon’s overly optimistic sound bites. A few years ago Ford committed to releasing a car without a steering wheel by 2021 so in my mind we’re pretty much there

Obviously now I realise how challenging the situation is proving to be. After dipping my toe in, fully autonomous driving still feels a generation away

Reactions: MOBB
Which is exactly why FSD is whole load of rubbish, the key isn't in sensors or mapping, its having an AI that can make these kind of borderline decisions with no human input.

Google DeepMind has the best AI geniuses in the world, yet they aren't even close to or suggesting FSD as claimed by Elon is possible.

I suspect Elon knows this, hince the endless excuses of what's coming next. No doubt the rewrite once released will need another rewrite for HW4.0 in 12 months time.
Yes, I agree with this. It's even possible that that the problem isn't even computable (in the technical sense) even with much richer input data.

Aren't you driving on the wrong side of the road?
LOL! OP is in the UK so that's the correct side for him.

That's kinda my joke when I refer to countries that drive on left. I have so far never driven on any public road where they drive on left but have visited them (e.g. UK, Japan, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong). I've driven a JDM Toyota Soarer (Lexus SC 430) on a closed track at low speed in Japan. Steering wheel was obviously on the "wrong" side for me, but fortunately, I wasn't out on the open road.

thats an interesting point. They can’t even get something simple like auto wipers right so what hope is there with fsd?!

This is the moment that made me realise Elon is living on a different planet. It's fine to go on Twitter and social media touting FSD, but to do a formal presentation, infront of your investors and essentially claim every Tesla sold to date with FSD capability will become income generators to the tune of $100K per car is frankly cra cra.

Who knows, Space X has done amazing things, hence why I have bought FSD.......we'll see

Screen-Shot-2019-04-25-at-9.20.00-AM-730x430.jpg

That's kinda my joke when I refer to countries that drive on left. I have so far never driven on any public road where they drive on left but have visited them (e.g. UK, Japan, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong). I've driven a JDM Toyota Soarer (Lexus SC 430) on a closed track at low speed in Japan. Steering wheel was obviously on the "wrong" side for me, but fortunately, I wasn't out on the open road.

Many UK drivers are well experienced at driving with LHD as well as RHD cars having hired vehicles when travelling in other European countries ... it's really no big deal. On this UK & Ireland forum we are also very familiar with people from across the pond making the "hilarious" "wrong side of the road" comment ... the first 100 times I read one I allowed myself a faint, if slightly condescending, smile. Now, I must admit, I just sigh and shake my head ... o_O;)

Yes, sorry, it was just a stupid joke. But I could not resist.

However after all of the driving I have done in the US, I would be terrified to drive in Japan, the UK, or Australia.

And in Australia, the water in sinks and all of their CDs and DVDs spin backwards from the northern hemisphere!

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and Adopado

Yes, sorry, it was just a stupid joke. But I could not resist.

However after all of the driving I have done in the US, I would be terrified to drive in Japan, the UK, or Australia.

And in Australia, the water in sinks and all of their CDs and DVDs spin backwards from the northern hemisphere!

Driving on the opposite side of the road isn't that difficult. I've driven in Europe, North America and Africa and it's fairly simple to get the hang of. I've also used LHD and RHD cars on both sides. The real challenge is learning the road rules.

OT - I would never use FSD and I'm uneasy with AP. No amount of artificial intelligence can make up for the abundance of organic stupidity currently on the road! TACC is adequate for me for now.

Reactions: Adopado
If I remember correctly, the majority of the land surface of our planet has left-hand drive rule. We right-hand drivers are kind of a minority.

I regularly drive in Kenya, East Africa, on the left side. After some time of training the change is almost imperceptible. The mind just switches over.

If I remember correctly, the majority of the land surface of our planet has left-hand drive rule. We right-hand drivers are kind of a minority.

I regularly drive in Kenya, East Africa, on the left side. After some time of training the change is almost imperceptible. The mind just switches over.
Which side of the road do they drive on? further down lists left vs. right side by population and road network. For some reason, his newer versions don't have that.

Seems this has just gone into an bit of an FSD conversation now.

To answer the questions, the car didn’t react, you should have done, and autopilot shouldn’t be used on these roads, but if you do you need to be extra vigilant. I’ve used on similar roads and sometimes if it looks like it’s getting too near the curb then I will take over, let alone a car parked at the side. I don’t think the taxi should be parked there but not something that’s arguable as you still hit him and it was visible.

Valet mode is for valets, it will lock the frunk and glove box, and well as chill mode etc, they will still need a key regardless, but there is no point putting it in valet mode and depending on the damage they may need to open the frunk. Your car will be repaired by a third party whether that is tesla approved or not, but Tesla do not do any bodywork themselves.