Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Swiped a Taxi on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on what caused this and how to prevent in the future - Slightly surprised it didn't see the taxi.

Also now it's going in for work what do I handover to the repair service? Do I give a key or can I put in Valet mode?

Front -
Side -

Thanks,

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Any thoughts on what caused this and how to prevent in the future - Slightly surprised it didn't see the taxi.

With all due respect, you were in charge of the car and I'm more surprised that you didn't see the taxi and/or take evasive action especially as the car in front took evasive action.

Also now it's going in for work what do I handover to the repair service? Do I give a key or can I put in Valet mode?

If they need access to the front, then valet mode wont give them that. I would create another profile, called something like 'service', and give it to them in state and lock the speed down. Make sure they know how to correctly jack the car and, silly one I know, lock and unlock it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately....

2D1B757B-11CA-4A94-B1A5-63C599826D68.jpeg

Totally get I’m responsible but I’m also trying to learn what the car can and can’t handle, on the journey it had very skilfully missed cars by what felt like mm to me at the time so I assumed that was going to be the case this time.

These things happen and I was very aware of the kids playing football and going through the woods that are just out of shot so nobody was in any danger.

Do you have emergency braking enabled?

To put it simply, for car would have too many phantom braking incidents to react to that vehicle on the side of the road because the system was not sure it was a real hazard. I avoid most lidar debates, but lidar would be certain that vehicle on the side of the road was a real solid object.

Totally get I’m responsible but I’m also trying to learn what the car can and can’t handle, on the journey it had very skilfully missed cars by what felt like mm to me at the time so I assumed that was going to be the case this time.

These things happen and I was very aware of the kids playing football and going through the woods that are just out of shot so nobody was in any danger.

Fair play bloke. Just dont go around learning things the hard way.... there is plenty of footage on youtube of people doing this already that you can learn from :)

Reactions: bhav
Ouch.

You won’t be the first or the last person to swipe a car on the side of the road on AP. I haven’t but I can see how it can happen. I’m not a sympathetic person in general, stuff happens and you deal with it.

As for AutoPilot looks like you learned the hard way and don’t need a lecture. Other new owners take heed! It is a bit surprising Tesla haven’t got to this scenario on their long tail of little problems to solve. An all too common UK scenario. There’s three options: slow down and move over, stop, or both. AP does none of these as yet.

Charge to 90%, turn off ‘pin to drive’ and give the garage your key card.

If it’s Tesla your giving it to you hand over one of the key cards and disable your pin to drive (or you can tell them the pin and they’ll disable it) - they’ll stick it in service mode anyway which locks you out of the app and gives them full access.

If it’s a 3rd party garage you’ll need to give them the key and the pin if set.

I've got to say it's a pretty dumb idea using AP on a road like that. The car is bound to balls it up sooner or later. :(

It's something I will choose to do from time to time as an experiment to see how it copes but my my alertness is on hyperdrive level! The car can bail out or take you into a hazard at any moment ... you would be crazy to relax and assume the car was always going to cope well just because it fluked a few challenges. A close call is just that. It's an indication that things are not as good as they need to be not that the car has consistent excellent judgement ... it doesn't.

Reactions: GSP
I've got to say it's a pretty dumb idea using AP on a road like that. The car is bound to balls it up sooner or later. :(
I'd probably use AP on a road like that, if I felt like it.

That being said, it's not designed for it so you would have to be on the ball to deal with exactly this sort of occurrence.

In fairness to the OP I can see why the car would lull you into a false sense of security if it handles things like this pretty well 99% of the time. Unfortunately, all you need is one of those exceptional events like this - a vehicle partially occluding the lane - for it to go wrong badly. As far as I know the car will not straddle the line so it will not take avoiding action that would do so. I'm not even sure it will do anything more than emergency braking.

Incidentally OP - the side view video doesn't show anything? What was the damage?