Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigh, smash and grab

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what should we do? put your items of value in the trunk when you start your journey not after you reach the destination where the thief is watching you. . This way you can simply walk off the car without opening the car trunk when you reach the destination and therefore reduce the chance of a car break-in. Hope this helps..

No.

This exact sort of thinking is why these crimes are so rampant. The only solution is to STOP LEAVING VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR.

Many many people here have reported being victimized by this even with nothing in their trunk. It’s a purely opportunistic crime, and worth the risk at the moment - if it stopped being fruitful people would stop doing it. So long as enough people think they’re being “sneaky” by only putting valuables in the car when nobody is looking, nothing is going to change.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Went out for dinner a relatively well-lit, busy plaza in Cupertino, CA (Blaney & Bollinger), we were there for dinner for about an hour, came out and noticed my car's rear window looked funny, smaller one looked to have some kind of window decal that resembles a broken window, oh wait, it really was broken! The big one was all gone/smashed. Rear seats folded down and the thieve grabbed my work backpack in trunk.

Police came and filed report, a good samaritan came and said he saw the whole thing went down (dude broke window, jumped in, and a few seconds later jumped out and got into a car and left) and even took a picture, unfortunately the picture was blurry but hopefully it helps the police.

For anyone who has repaired smashed windows, is it better to get a third-party to repair or get a Tesla SC to repair it?

BTW just ordered the enhanced anti-theft kit, was out of stock a couple of weeks back when I last checked, oh well.
Same for me at Santana Row. I used Capitol glass works for repair, after checking with insurer. I paid a $100 deductible;; they came to me for repair - very quick service and very thorough cleanup of broken glass. Note: Tesla model 3 quarter panels are in short supply, what with the rash of breakins in the Bay area.

Well, car burglars are getting smarter. They wait at the parking lot and wait for a car to pull in and then as a matter of habit we take out our back pack or laptop bag and put it in the trunk to keep it secure. the burglar or thief is watching this and now gets the confirmation they are looking for - which is that there is something of potential value in the trunk. So the thief will make an attempt to break in as they are now sure that there is something of value to steal. ( they are simply increasing their probability of finding something of value by this method).
So what should we do? put your items of value in the trunk when you start your journey not after you reach the destination where the thief is watching you. . This way you can simply walk off the car without opening the car trunk when you reach the destination and therefore reduce the chance of a car break-in. Hope this helps..
Use the frunk.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
I wonder why Tesla chose not to include interior sensor in their cars in the USA? The crooks must know it is not in most Teslas and act accordingly?

The interior alarm has been in an option and then a standard feature in other markets since early Model S days.
Probably persuaded by bean counters to cut cost. Like no lighted visor mirrors or coat hooks.
AND not every community has the same thief problems as bay area.

I got the exact same impression from @Jan Fiala ’s post that it would make zero difference. I simply disagreed with him that it would make no difference and considered ”zero difference” an exaggerated stance. I am well aware of the legal changes behind the epidemic and agree they are one cause for sure.

I belive an internal alarm would make some difference and especially the knowledge that all Teslas would be equipped with one overall would have made some difference ie result in some cases not happening at all and some cases being cut shorter than they have been. Especially given that Tesla’s factory alarm is connected to its mobile app in markets where it is a factory feature and this would quickly be known by all.
I don't think it makes any difference - that it may or may not make any difference (how's that for hard to follow logic)? There's already 100,000+ 3's and 200,000 S's in the wild that don't have and unlikely even in the bay area to be retrofitted with the Intrusion Detection device. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the entire part of the conversation of whether in hind sight its going to make any difference on those already on the road have the device is mute.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
The main reason thieves are breaking your rear quarter window is to drop the rear seats down just to take a peek in your trunk.

Putting your belongings in the trunk before parking will not help. They will still break your rear window, then when they see you have a backpack or computer bag they will break the larger window to steal your backpack.

Don't 'leave anything in the trunk and fold the seats down. This lets the thieves know there is nothing in the trunk.

The sticker I put on also helps to give notice that there is nothing in the trunk and the seats are already folded down.

No guarantees that they still wont break the window, but since i have already dropped the seat for the thieves to look inside the trunk, there is no reason for them to break the window just to drop the seats.

IMG_0080.jpg

The epidemic is getting out of hand. I've heard reports of people with child car seats installed still having their rear window smashed. The child carseat prevents the backseats from being put down. I'm starting to think the thieves are just breaking glass just for the hell of it

Reactions: Akikiki
My Alarm System
20190122-223608.jpg

If your brave enough to try, go ahead.
But im fairly sure she will get pissed off, and most likely chew up your hand to mangled pieces like what most pinchers do when you invade there territory.
And yes she declared my car her car, as its her ride that she gets excited each time i ask
"do you want to go for a ride?"
:D

But on quick trips she always comes out with me.
I cant leave the house without her whinning and ranting, so unless i am going off to work, or some place far for a while, most of the time she is my alarm system.

The main reason thieves are breaking your rear quarter window is to drop the rear seats down just to take a peek in your trunk.

Putting your belongings in the trunk before parking will not help. They will still break your rear window, then when they see you have a backpack or computer bag they will break the larger window to steal your backpack.

Don't 'leave anything in the trunk and fold the seats down. This lets the thieves know there is nothing in the trunk.

The sticker I put on also helps to give notice that there is nothing in the trunk and the seats are already folded down.

No guarantees that they still wont break the window, but since i have already dropped the seat for the thieves to look inside the trunk, there is no reason for them to break the window just to drop the seats.

View attachment 371412
Where did you get that decal?

Put it on all of them????

1. you do realize this this security film still cracks the glass, right? so now, instead of replacing the small rear window, youre potentially looking at replacing multiple windows.

2. based on the product Q&A on Amazon, this film is not designed to worked on vehicle glass.. the glass needs to be flat.

thanks, though. I plan on installing this film on the two sliding patio glass doors at my house. Two houses in my neighborhood were burglarized recently. smashing the kitchen sliding door was the method of entry in both crimes.

All new Teslas should come with an interior motion detection sensor as part of the security system. (like they offer as an add on for S / X )
When the alarm goes off it sends a text to the owner.
The 8 cameras on the outside need to be motion detection and capture video when parked.
Might need an internal SSD to be really useful and keep enough data.
Getting a picture of the thief or his license number would be helpful for prosecution.
Seems like some of these parking lots or near by businesses where these break ins are happening should have cameras.

Well, car burglars are getting smarter. They wait at the parking lot and wait for a car to pull in and then as a matter of habit we take out our back pack or laptop bag and put it in the trunk to keep it secure. the burglar or thief is watching this and now gets the confirmation they are looking for - which is that there is something of potential value in the trunk. So the thief will make an attempt to break in as they are now sure that there is something of value to steal. ( they are simply increasing their probability of finding something of value by this method).

One restaurant had a sign on front saying "Thieves are using Wifi/Bluetooth scanners to find your laptops and phones! DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN YOUR CAR!"

DIY Expat: Did thieves use CrimeTech to steal our laptop?
Security ‘Expert’ Claims Thieves Can Detect Wi-Fi In Sleeping Computers

Reactions: Akikiki

View attachment 371412
Blacktess, this may be the most practical alternative or idea stated in TMC threads. Its cost effective and may actually "talk the thugs out of doing harm to your car". I sure hope so. I would offter that one thing though. Maybe adding a remote controlled LED light or light strip that will stay on to light the trunk will help the thugs see there's nothing there. But in a nutshell, very smart idea. I sincerely hope it helps/works.