Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigh, smash and grab

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDDB2D26-E604-44DF-9BCF-206995E7E670.jpeg
My Model 3 rear passenger window spontaneously shattered about a month ago. I took it to the Tesla service center. They charged me $215 for the replacement window and installation. They gave me an Enterprise rental car, but had the new window installed in 4 hours. Evidently, third party services have to buy the window from Tesla, as there are no substitutes on the market yet. My insurance reimbursed me the whole amount, no questions asked. I would go directly to Tesla. It seemed like a good price, with excellent service. BUT... I still wonder WHY that window shattered?
View attachment 371570
Which service center did you go to and charged you $215. Mine also got shattered.

The main reason thieves are breaking your rear quarter window is to drop the rear seats down just to take a peek in your trunk.

Putting your belongings in the trunk before parking will not help. They will still break your rear window, then when they see you have a backpack or computer bag they will break the larger window to steal your backpack.

Don't 'leave anything in the trunk and fold the seats down. This lets the thieves know there is nothing in the trunk.

The sticker I put on also helps to give notice that there is nothing in the trunk and the seats are already folded down.

No guarantees that they still wont break the window, but since i have already dropped the seat for the thieves to look inside the trunk, there is no reason for them to break the window just to drop the seats.

View attachment 371412
Where do I buy the stickers? Thanks.

So what you are saying is that the correlation between decriminalizing such crimes and the observed rise of said crimes is pure coincidence?

Correlation <> Causation. Simple as that. Coincidence likewise <> Causation. How many other crimes are not enforced to get to the more serious crimes. How many other cars are being broken into? How many other cars with similar rear windows are also broken into so the rear seat can be pulled down? My Ford Fusion has rear windows and non-locking rear seats... your sample size is too small.

Correlation <> Causation. Simple as that. Coincidence likewise <> Causation. How many other crimes are not enforced to get to the more serious crimes. How many other cars are being broken into? How many other cars with similar rear windows are also broken into so the rear seat can be pulled down? My Ford Fusion has rear windows and non-locking rear seats... your sample size is too small.
I wasn't using TMC as simple size, nor I was saying that Tesla is uniquely affected other that the fact that it's considered a wealthy person's car, hence a potentially more lucrative target. I was saying increased car break-ins across the board correlate to official decriminalization. You example of cops prioritizing crimes is different, when they do that on a case by case basis vs. being prevented from pursuing any charges. Knowing that you might not get caught is different than knowing there is absolutely nothing they can do to you even if you do get caught.

Reactions: Shaggy
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...e-bill-targets-loophole-in-auto-burglary-law/
...A loophole that law enforcement officials say hinders prosecution of auto burglars...
...a requirement that prosecutors must show a car’s door was locked during an auto burglary, even if the window was bashed in...
...Under current law, prosecutors have a difficult time making a case if an offender broke a window and entered a car, leaving it unlocked or the door open. A case against a suspect could also falter if a victim returned and unlocked the car’s door before police took a report....

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
FYI... none of the vehicles shown above were Teslas... people here make it sounds like there is a Tesla only rush. So, sample size matters. I suspect people are right that somebody might hit a Tesla over a Tercel, but since smash and grab seems an opportunity crime, an alarm sticker might be enough to make them skip if it was out in front of a house, but in a huge parking lot, maybe less.

How many cars have a locking rear seat? I'm curious as I'd never heard of a thing until somebody was selling a seat lock they made for $20.

FYI... none of the vehicles shown above were Teslas... people here make it sounds like there is a Tesla only rush. So, sample size matters. I suspect people are right that somebody might hit a Tesla over a Tercel, but since smash and grab seems an opportunity crime, an alarm sticker might be enough to make them skip if it was out in front of a house, but in a huge parking lot, maybe less.

How many cars have a locking rear seat? I'm curious as I'd never heard of a thing until somebody was selling a seat lock they made for $20.
My 2004 Honda Accord had a locking rear seat.

• Informative
Reactions: Shaggy
If Elon or whoever design the model 3 from the getgo included a locking rear seat, perpetuator should have known that to begin with and move on to another car to victimize. Too late now that perpetuators or thieves knows that its designed without a lock. How hard or inexpensive could that be to add another switch and be able to lock and unlock from the display screen. Think!

I’m hopeful just the dang window decal from the anti theft kit will deter some would-be thieves, even if they still decide to break the window, hopefully the attention from alarm would prevent them from cleaning me up.

I’ve always been careful in not leaving anything visible in the car, I’m gonna start putting things in the lower part of the trunk, under the panel, so it’s not in view even with the seats folded down.

I almost never leave anything in my cars and over the years they have been broken into twice and broken windows, as you have just experienced, can be a real bummer. Since the last episode in 1995 I have left the doors unlocked. No further problems.