Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since the Falcon Wing Suppliers Suck, Give me Regular Doors and Roof Rack Hook Ups!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they released a regular door version with roof rack hook ups I would confirm today. I could careless about "billionaire doors." I could put my Thule up there and then I won't care about the middle row folding flat and I am good to go.

Don't get me wrong I love how cool they are and I like the attention they get for the company, but I need my SUV to be practical and I'd rather have racks and no hassle.

Since the antecedent clause of your thread-head is, at best, provocative, it deserves a demonstration of its accuracy before any of your other statements are addressed. It is, however, worse than provocative - I'd call it an actionable falsehood until proven otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: DelPhonic1
If they released a regular door version with roof rack hook ups I would confirm today. I could careless about "billionaire doors." I could put my Thule up there and then I won't care about the middle row folding flat and I am good to go.

Don't get me wrong I love how cool they are and I like the attention they get for the company, but I need my SUV to be practical and I'd rather have racks and no hassle.

Do you even know who is suppling the Falcon Wing doors that are in the shipping cars?

Assuming Tesla is still supply (battery) constrained, I wouldn't change a thing if I were them, until they start to become demand constrained.

As soon as they're NOT selling everything they can make, then start cranking out the crowd-pleasing options... normal doors, removable seating, cup-holders, suit hangers on the S, etc...

Who is supplying the doors? I thought Tesla made the doors themselves???
At one point a company (in Europe?) was to supply the entire mechanism for the door, both design and manufacture. They failed to deliver. I believe that the result was that Tesla engineers then designed it themselves and sub'd out the manufacture of a few specific components with assembly by Tesla. If so then I'd think the doors would be considered manufactured by Tesla. As to Tesla sucking, I've not seen much indication of that thus far unless you're measuring electrons.

The Model X has to be a slave to aerodynamics first. Given the shape and the requirement to access the 3rd row from the 2nd row entry, a Model X with conventional doors might not be what you want after all.

Initially, it was Hoerbiger - the company they are now suing. IDK who is a current supplier
Tesla sues Model X falcon wing door supplier

But personally, I would also prefer a version with regular doors and without a panorama windshield...

I can confidently say that is never going to happen with the Model-X. The whole vehicle frame is designed around the Falcon doors and panorama windshield. They would need to re-design the whole thing to remove one or both of those features (not trivial). You want the Model-S or the up and coming Model-3. The Model-X will always have this windshield and doors.

I can confidently say that is never going to happen with the Model-X. The whole vehicle frame is designed around the Falcon doors and panorama windshield. They would need to re-design the whole thing to remove one or both of those features (not trivial). You want the Model-S or the up and coming Model-3. The Model-X will always have this windshield and doors.

PLUS TEN. If you want vanilla CRVs, there are a lot to choose from. I keep thinking out loud to all these people who can't stand change, even GOOD change, "Buy a Honda, Buy a Toyota. If you gotta have eletric, buy a Kia. But don't complain about the X."

Well the OP is radio silent now. Using his vernacular, I could "careless" [sic] if he ever gets an X with that attitude and false analogy. Perhaps an Astrovan is more his speed. Why would you even purchase this SUV if you wanted to put your stuff on the roof? It had to be the "cool" factor. But now you think the cool factor is lame? Me thinks your $5000 deposit would be better spent elsewhere. What an odd thread to even put out there. #sourgrapes

Agree with?

Agree 100%!!

- - - Updated - - -

My opinion is that the MX is not a utility vehicle. It is a luxury people hauler with balls. If we want the utility, then we need to look toward vehicles such as Tahoes, "burbs", 4-Runners, etc. Not the same mission as the MX, in my observation. They certainly play a very valuable and important role for those who need to cart alot around and they seem to be good vehicles. The MX is not that vehicle and never will be.

Re: suppliers that suck: the German supplier is not building the doors. That was brought in house, which is easily verifiable through multiple articles on the topic. I do not know if it is entirely done in house at Tesla. But that is what I have read so far.

Please do more research before claiming that the the product sucks. Reviews so far have been very positive.

Last edited: